Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

COMPASS CALIBRATION TYPHOON H

Reaction score
Hello there YUNEEC pilots,

I have recently purchased a Typhoon H with the RS installed ( just the drone) from e-bay. Then I ordered the wizard to test it before I buy the ST-16 controller.
They both have the latest firmware flashed in. When connected to GUI app the "sensor checking " is ticked ok so I guess everything works ok

Is there a way to perform compass calibration or any other calibrations to the drone without using the ST-16 controller? Maybe from a PC using some software or using the wizard? Untill now it seems that the only way to set it to compass calibration mode is only by using the ST16 transmitter and I am afraid to give it a test flight with the wizard
without compass calibration first. Is there a chance to have a fly away if I lift it up with the wizard?

Thanks

You do need the St-16 to do the calibrations, and also to see when the craft is ready and safe to fly (wizard does not give you satellite counts and only really basic battery status for example). I also wouldn't recommend any flight without the calibrations done first, or that your first flight with the craft involves the wizard - it is not exactly intuitive, and unless you know it and the behaviour of the craft extremely well you could easily run into problems. My advice is get the St-16 and go from there.

You cannot use just the wizard, as you need to put the aircraft in team mode to use the wizard... and you cannot enter team mode, without the ST-16.

You cannot use just the wizard, as you need to put the aircraft in team mode to use the wizard... and you cannot enter team mode, without the ST-16.
Actually from the ground and without the propellers on the drone responses to the wizard.first i bind them as it is demonsrated in youtube videos and then I prrss start ,the motors start, and then I preds the up button and the motors speed up so if the propellers where on it would ascend. I am just sceptical to try to hover it with props on.If I do it and it responds to the basic movements up down, yaw,pitch, roll Iwill look to buy an ST-16 transmitter.

So this entire premise is to reduce your investment, by not immediately purchasing the designed controller for your Typhoon H? o_O

From all posts regarding the wizard I have seen on this board, it is difficult at best, to use. I would recommend that if you have no previous experience with the TH, and yet are attempting fly with the wizard alone... for God's sake remove the camera.

IMHO to fly the TH in this manner, is a scenario that likely will result in a clear demonstration of the both the laws of physics concerning acceleration and rapid deceleration.

As well, I'm confident that flying the aircraft without the primary controller, would not fare well in a warranty claim. In fact, you would not even be able to initiate a warranty claim, as you have no telemetry stored. It's location is on the ST-16.

Calibrations can only be performed from the ST-16 calibration menu. It would have been cheaper to buy a complete package rather than individual parts....

I also refrained from any suggestion of possible future appointments within the current administration...

Reactions: PatR
OK FIRST OF ALL I HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH DRONES. SECONDLY I ONLY BOUGHT THE DRONE WITH RS MODULE ON BUT WITHOUT CAMERA, AS SPARES FOR ONLY 100 EURO. THE DRONE WORKS CAUSE TODAY I DECIDED TO TEST IT WITH THE WIZARD . I LIFT IT UO TO 5 MR FROM THE GROUND AND JUST MADE THE BASIC MOVEMENTS. IT SEEMED QUIET STABLE ALTHOUGH NO CALIBRATIONS MADE AS MENTIONED IN PREVIOUS E-MAL .THEN I LANDED IT SAFELY SO THE NEXT STEP IS TO ORDER THE CONTROLLER AND MAYBE SEARCH FOR A USED CAMERA SINCE I HAVE READ THAT THERE IS DIFFICULT TO FIND ANOTHER GIMBAL - CAMERA COMBINATION THAT IT WILL WORK FOR SURE.
- DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SUGGEST REGARDING THE CAMERA OPTION?
- IS THE CAMERA ALSO NECESSARY TO ESTABLISH COMMUNICATYION BETWEEN DRONE AND ST-16
SO TO MAKE THE CALIBRATIONS, ETC?

You have two camera options, a CGO3+ or CGO-ET. No other camera will either fit the gimbal mount or successfully communicate with the H system. You can adapt a different camera if you wish but you will not be able to control it from either the Wizard or ST-16, nor would you be able to see in flight imagery on the ST-16. How that would get handled is up to your own creativity, and expense.

A camera is not necessary unless you want to collect imagery or have a view from the aircraft on the ST-16.

@STELIOS, while you may have experience with other drones, you do not have any experience with the Typhoon H. What source of information did you rely on, that told you making an evaluation of a flight system would be best accomplished with an auxiliary controller with no camera view?

What degree of validity would you gain from such a test... anyone purchasing this system is not going to be regularly operating without a camera or using the wizard to operate.

Sir, my reply to you is so much more than your individual actions... The simple fact is, that for you to even engage this aircraft with the wizard, with no prior use of the Typhoon H is ridiculously poor judgement on your part... as well as being a potential danger to anyone within several hundred yards.

While it is possible for someone to gain skill in using the wizard in this manner, it was clearly not designed nor intended as a primary controller, nor to evaluate the system's performance.

My biggest concern as a moderator, is the several hundred people a day who are only visiting the board... many having NO experience with any UAV... and mistaking your actions as a viable or recommended practice in hardware evaluation.

Think of what your doing is like leaving piece's out of a 3D jigsaw puzzle, without out all of them it's going to come crashing down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loansjagat