Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Relocation

I was thinking of 2 sets of parallel tracks more than the trains themselves. Combined with the power lines possibly imparting an electrical current, etc.

Power lines are interesting. Lots of guys are flying transmission line inspections getting up close and personal with the towers.

Electricity, black magic and mirrors!!

Today, I have concluded my field test, and I can now say that I am 200% confident of my Typhoon H Plus, due to a very simple modification. Today was the first day of being back in the work circulation, and took the Yuneec to work, I was amazed, yet again! I will post a video of that soon, but for now. MY TH PLUS IS A BRAND NEW BIRD!!!!!

On this field, there are pockets of geometric interference that at one point, I would not fly my Yuneec Typhoon H Plus in this field. FYI this field will soon be developed by Lennar, and have spent time mapping it's grid with a DJI Inspire, and it to ran into geomagnetic interference as well as ample compass error notifications. On this flight, I flew over the key problematic spots, and the Yuneec Typhoon H Plus had no loss of visual, pixilation, and interruptions, even thought that throughout the flight I only have a maximum of 5 satellite connectivity. This shows to prove that the compass location on the original Typhoon H Plus or any of Yuneec's drones needs to be addressed.

Hey Bud, Congrats on your testing and results in this video. That was great video signal considering you were under 100' the whole time. My question is, how are you connecting the move of the compass module with video signal given that the video tx/rx are in the camera well below the mod?

I was thinking of 2 sets of parallel tracks more than the trains themselves. Combined with the power lines possibly imparting an electrical current, etc.

Power lines are interesting. Lots of guys are flying transmission line inspections getting up close and personal with the towers.

Electricity, black magic and mirrors!!

If you happened to drive down 101 along this area, let me know, I can take you fly in this area, just bring your class A, because the security guard at times thinks he is a cop.

You are correct, reasons why PG&E Santa Clara got away from inspecting power lines with a drone. Specially along highway 101 along Bernal rd and Bailey. They are back to utilizing helicopters.

I inspected a tower once, I am not afraid of towers, I am just careful of protecting my investment. There is a sweet spot altitude, when doing live tower survey, but it is not for me. The pro operators at PG&E communicates tactically and execute precisely, when they fly their sUAS. I love that.

I have seen a Phantom in person that got eaten by those towers (once) The operator had an ego to start with, and I bet now humbled by the incident.

Hey Bud, Congrats on your testing and results in this video. That was great video signal considering you were under 100' the whole time. My question is, how are you connecting the move of the compass module with video signal given that the video tx/rx are in the camera well below the mod?

I moved the compass exactly in the same area.

If you happened to drive down 101 along this area, let me know, I can take you fly in this area, just bring your class A, because the security guard at times thinks he is a cop.

You are correct, reasons why PG&E Santa Clara got away from inspecting power lines with a drone. Specially along highway 101 along Bernal rd and Bailey. They are back to utilizing helicopters.

I inspected a tower once, I am not afraid of towers, I am just careful of protecting my investment. There is a sweet spot altitude, when doing live tower survey, but it is not for me. The pro operators at PG&E communicates tactically and execute precisely, when they fly their sUAS. I love that.

I have seen a Phantom in person that got eaten by those towers (once) The operator had an ego to start with, and I bet now humbled by the incident.

I think you're right. It is not any one thing by itself, it is the nexus of all those things in close proximity. Makes you wonder if Lennar will have that in their disclosures ;)

I think you're right. It is not any one thing by itself, it is the nexus of all those things in close proximity. Makes you wonder if Lennar will have that in their disclosures ;)

A drone flying for Lennar cannot fly below the power lines, but can fly 40m from its highest peak. Was the agreement made. I executed flying over the tower today, just to see if the H+ can do it and it did. BUT! That will be the first and last..... This age is either making me wiser or fearful.. lol

Reactions: Phaedrus
there is still a problem with the GPS of the ST16S, it is often in the red, sometimes in the orange, never in the green.
Will the material placed on your ST16S not interfere?
Normally no, considering the position of the GPS chip in the ST16S, but I ask myself the question ...

Reactions: JackMTaco
there is still a problem with the GPS of the ST16S, it is often in the red, sometimes in the orange, never in the green.
Will the material placed on your ST16S not interfere?
Normally no, considering the position of the GPS chip in the ST16S, but I ask myself the question ...

The unit is tested in areas that the sUAS TH Plus has problems flying in the past.

During my compass relocation mod. field test GPS is solid, Sat is on red. The most common problem of the sat. when it’s on red. is evident during take off and landing.

Symptom: RED SATELLITE display

1. TH Plus continues to lift and will not descend.
  2. Power does not disengage during landing, when the throttle stick is down and red power button has to be depressed for as long, as the power cuts off, and double tapping on the red button, does not help.

In both occasions during my field test, not one hiccup and my ultimate test of the H+ has done without a hitch. I will post a video of this soon.

However, these are just personal test, as I am always seeking to better my tool for this season. I am not affiliated whoever made this casing, but the relocation of the compass is needed. Flying my H+ has been night n’ day, some of you has read my rants. Presently, I am confident that it can do the job, and the test is not a fluke.

The unit is tested in areas that the sUAS TH Plus has problems flying in the past.

During my compass relocation mod. field test GPS is solid, Sat is on red. The most common problem of the sat. when it’s on red. is evident during take off and landing.

Symptom: RED SATELLITE display

1. TH Plus continues to lift and will not descend.
  2. Power does not disengage during landing, when the throttle stick is down and red power button has to be depressed for as long, as the power cuts off, and double tapping on the red button, does not help.
In both occasions during my field test, not one hiccup and my ultimate test of the H+ has done without a hitch. I will post a video of this soon.

However, these are just personal test, as I am always seeking to better my tool for this season. I am not affiliated whoever made this casing, but the relocation of the compass is needed. Flying my H+ has been night n’ day, some of you has read my rants. Presently, I am confident that it can do the job, and the test is not a fluke.

I believe he is pointing out the controller's GPS signal and not the drone which I agree with. I feel the plastic on the controller inhibits obtaining a faster and more accurate GPS lock. Wonder what relocating and adding an external antenna to the controller would do for sat acquisition and accuracy.

Reactions: PatR and Fenwick
I believe he is pointing out the controller's GPS signal and not the drone which I agree with. I feel the plastic on the controller inhibits obtaining a faster and more accurate GPS lock. Wonder what relocating and adding an external antenna to the controller would do for sat acquisition and accuracy.

I am now a bit lost on what we are talking about now.

Good thing; I'm thinking the same thing too

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 7
Let's get back at it. The indicator that is showing red is the connectivity from the sat. to the rc. This is not the GPS, and yes this concerns me, but the drone is flying better than ever, will it affect me in the future? Don't know, but I have to do something about it.

And, Jack. I can put a paddle antenna, but I do not want to tamper with the drone's inner component that's a catch 22 (TX is fine)

Here's telemetry. (My battery pack ran out, so I could not capture a live telemetry) I am really excited with this flight, because it is the first time that the H+ flew uninterrupted in this field. I will upload a live video from my inspire vs the H+ on this site. Both used to have problems, and presently the H+ no longer has problems flying here.

The clip that got me excited

Attachments

• Telemetry_00015.csv.zip
    243.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Good thing; I'm thinking the same thing too

It's not... I just went over my mod earlier tonight. The problem with the sat connection is much simpler than I thought, and when you get yours, you will also see it. I added things, after the fact, and one of those is by adding foil to the top of the canopy (not the module, but on top of the canopy)

I made adjustments. Stay tuned.

Reactions: Fenwick
A foil cover over a GPS receiver is a pretty effective way to prevent satellite reception. Good to see you are removing it. Copper foul under one to isolate it from EMI can be a good thing though.

Reactions: Phaedrus
A foil cover over a GPS receiver is a pretty effective way to prevent satellite reception. Good to see you are removing it. Copper foul under one to isolate it from EMI can be a good thing though.

Man!!!!! A minor setback..

First battery cycle. I removed a piece of the back cover that used to cover the GPS

Second battery cycle. I removed the foil that I put on the top of the module

Third battery cycle. I did not record, I am already sleepy waiting for my controller to charge at 60% and battery at 50%. I hovered a bit and got the H+ around 30 ft. and my Sat. 12

It's not... I just went over my mod earlier tonight. The problem with the sat connection is much simpler than I thought, and when you get yours, you will also see it. I added things, after the fact, and one of those is by adding foil to the top of the canopy (not the module, but on top of the canopy)

View attachment 15027

I made adjustments. Stay tuned.
That"good to know I will check when get the unit from John

Currently. The pit is swarmed, TollBrothers, MRC, and KB Homes.. Hurry to the warmer weather ahead! And I only brought one drone and challenge the H+ as well as myself.

I am also happy to report that my current reversion to this whole quest for connectivity is SPOT ON! All of my indicators are green sat/gps (kinda) and the TH Plus ate the pits like a fat kid loves cake, specially in location where it once was not able to fly its missions.

Stay tuned for my videos and I promise to keep it brief and short.

IMG_0928.jpg

So if I have never gotten the compass calibration error mentioned, have never not had more than enough satellites, and the extra minute or so makes no difference to me, what do I gain by doing this?
The biggest advantage would be POSSIBLE electronic failure during flight, which could happen randomly with any drone if there is a stray signal from somewhere. If your GPS and compass are accurate, it will increase the probability you would get your drone to RTH in the event of an electronic hiccup.

Reactions: RPR and Phaedrus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuneecfan49