Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Relocation

Hi RPR,
I have just done a video on heat build up and thought that you would be interested with the figures achieved.
There is no competition as you will see when you watch the video. There is another one coming with the FAN TOWER vs THE STDANDARD TOWER.

Keep and open mind.

My TH Plus arrived on August 17th 2018, and on one of my earlier post, was an inquiry if anyone used the tower that Yuneec sells for the H http://yuneec-prod.explorewebdev.com/Aero-Drone-GPS-compass-module This module is what Intel use on the https://software.intel.com/en-us/aero/drone-kit because based from observation the H Plus or the whole Yuneec H series fleets has insufficient cooling system.

The Phantom 1 had an excessive heat issue that affected the compass/gps module. Although it was not as bad as Yuneec, because majority has been flying without any problems, but to some that are affected with flyaways resorted to searching for a solution. Some addressed the problem with a liquid heatsink compound, which is moronic. The ultimate solution was just to drill lighting holes to the aluminum plate that DJI placed over the WiFi and Compass/GPS unit on the P1. DJI solved this over heating problems, but adding a better cooling solution. On the P3 and P4. DJI revised the inner electronic placement, when the MPro (mavic) the unit is built to perfection (I have two MPros that I still use today) and with the M2 DJI took it further and out did themselves ( which I also own) The Inspires 1 and 2 is built with craftsmanship (I also own these models). But enough of them, let's talk about Yuneec.

Yuneec has 2 vents grill vents on top , and two on the sides. There is a grill on the bottom towards the back, but they are none operational. I am planning to make them operational, and add to more vent towards the bottom front, and I am waiting for an opportunity to do a complete teardown, when my warranty expires. I don't know, why Yuneec did not opt to using heatsinks and proper ventilation, but Yuneec's mindset is also hard to gauge, when it come to the Half Cooked release of the H Plus.

Your module is great, but the design lacks the simplicity that folks or I myself is looking for.

1) A design that does not take away too much from the original.
2) Portability.

As far, as the cooling system goes, once the gps/compass is removed from its original location, using any kind of a module case that can house the unit will suffice just as long as it is ventilated, and when modding "there's 100 ways to skin a cat, pick one" Because it is not really hard to find a solution just as long as the first series questions of the mod. has been satisfied.

Reactions: John Hennessy
BTW August is "Hot August" and September is the "Indian" heatwave here in Cali.

Hi RPR,
I have just done a video on heat build up and thought that you would be interested with the figures achieved.
There is no competition as you will see when you watch the video. There is another one coming with the FAN TOWER vs THE STDANDARD TOWER.

Very interesting. What would be nice to see is what the temps would look like if they were in the shade and if the other two had white tape, etc. covering them. In other words, how much of the temp difference is due to the color of the materials. Maybe try a black version of your tower to compare.

Reactions: RPR
The heatsink solution.

View attachment 15475

This will aid and address the low gps/compass module configuration in dissipating a thermal blanket within the case.

Heatsink. 3mmx22mm

IMG_1099.jpg
IMG_1100.jpg

The bottom, I’ve added a 1mm therma pad.

IMG_1095.jpg

This approach is better versus using a liquid thermal paste due to conductivity of some paste, and I could not find an OEM therma blue arctic that DJI used. So, I opted to using a therma pad.

But, I don’t think this will make a real world of difference vs creating a small gap to the top hatch and elevating the tower with extra double sided tape as a simple ventilation approach. When I took the H Plus to Hawaii, the range was limited by its firmware, and during my first flight review of the low config. tower it confirmed and answered a lot of my questions.

The contact placement of the therma pad and the ceramic is critical, so heat can escape quicker.

IMG_1101.jpg

Reactions: oliver
He tried the black tower comparison some months ago.

Must have missed it. How did temps compare. White color results are not a surprise.

Have a link handy for the terminally lazy? ?

Got info in the other thread. Thanks Johnno

Last edited:
Would you like me to critic your work, as honestly as let’s just say a friend would? Because this can probably help you distribute the tower to the masses.
Hi RPR,
I would like that after I get a new camera, the one I am useing is old Olympus Tough water proof one and I m told that it is just 720 p. My mate tells me that is most of the problem as he can't do much with the files. So hopefully with a new Camera things will improve. Also anything constructive for roving my test methods. Johnno Hennessy.

Hi RPR,
Would this help you if I send a base and cap in orange for you to customize. I have a photo below of what I was thinking. Because you Ave already lifted the carbon fibre one up and is taller now this would not look out of ace and it as built in ventilation with Lear ancestors around the base and cap. PM me and will discuss where I am owing from. Johnno Hennessy.

Attachments

• 20190330_075337.jpg
    20190330_075337.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
Hi RPR,
Would this help you if I send a base and cap in orange for you to customize. I have a photo below of what I was thinking. Because you Ave already lifted the carbon fibre one up and is taller now this would not look out of ace and it as built in ventilation with Lear ancestors around the base and cap. PM me and will discuss where I am owing from. Johnno Hennessy.

The material is not carbon fiber John, he is using ABS plastic, and the plastic has no traces of reinforced CF filaments, because I burn a good piece of the material. Carbon fiber reinforced filament are costly, and does not flare like plastic.

Hi RPR,

To defunct the competitor, based from the knowledge and experience of how far you’ve gotten (and I know you’ve already invested so much.) Is to create a design that matches the fluidity of the original design, intertwined by your knowledge.

I have an idea in mind, but if I spend too much time on it. I will not be able to accomplish others things, I will get consumed.. lol

Also the eBay seller used a 10lbs double sided tape. That’s going to shift in flight. The 30lbs gray tape works best, based from my experience in flying heavy 3D maneuvers with RC helis. gyro.

Double up on the tape, you will see a clearance below. Shave the inner side of the hatch and create and opening to act as a vacuum to vent and circulate air.

Hi RPR,
I can tell you it is nylon with up to 30 % carbon fiber and that it will burn just like our standard propellors which are also up to 30 % carbon fiber. I have tested it and not ABS but nylon the smell of the burn is different to ABS ( which is what i print with and the printers we use lay down the melted filament in layers of .02 mm thick and .04 mm wide visible on the bottom infill zig zag layering) You can message me on my email and discuss the idea and bring it forward for you. This is all good and helping our machines.
Johnno Hennessy.

Very interesting. What would be nice to see is what the temps would look like if they were in the shade and if the other two had white tape, etc. covering them. In other words, how much of the temp difference is due to the color of the materials. Maybe try a black version of your tower to compare.
Hi Phaedrus,
I gave an ambient temperature in the shade, but no use doing the test in the shade as the H will fly very little in the shade , but out in the open in the sun shine for good photos. No disrespect intended by that statement, the H is started away from the pilot (me I stand in the shade) and then binds and links to ST16 for preflight and then off on the mission as planned. I have flown in the shade through my carport and free stand storage sheds and awnings over semi-trailer loading bays. That is why I made the TOWER so that I can do this without any problems. I hope that may answer some of your questions. Johnno Hennessy.

Keep and open mind.

My TH Plus arrived on August 17th 2018, and on one of my earlier post, was an inquiry if anyone used the tower that Yuneec sells for the H http://yuneec-prod.explorewebdev.com/Aero-Drone-GPS-compass-module This module is what Intel use on the https://software.intel.com/en-us/aero/drone-kit because based from observation the H Plus or the whole Yuneec H series fleets has insufficient cooling system.

The Phantom 1 had an excessive heat issue that affected the compass/gps module. Although it was not as bad as Yuneec, because majority has been flying without any problems, but to some that are affected with flyaways resorted to searching for a solution. Some addressed the problem with a liquid heatsink compound, which is moronic. The ultimate solution was just to drill lighting holes to the aluminum plate that DJI placed over the WiFi and Compass/GPS unit on the P1. DJI solved this over heating problems, but adding a better cooling solution. On the P3 and P4. DJI revised the inner electronic placement, when the MPro (mavic) the unit is built to perfection (I have two MPros that I still use today) and with the M2 DJI took it further and out did themselves ( which I also own) The Inspires 1 and 2 is built with craftsmanship (I also own these models). But enough of them, let's talk about Yuneec.

Yuneec has 2 vents grill vents on top , and two on the sides. There is a grill on the bottom towards the back, but they are none operational. I am planning to make them operational, and add to more vent towards the bottom front, and I am waiting for an opportunity to do a complete teardown, when my warranty expires. I don't know, why Yuneec did not opt to using heatsinks and proper ventilation, but Yuneec's mindset is also hard to gauge, when it come to the Half Cooked release of the H Plus.

Your module is great, but the design lacks the simplicity that folks or I myself is looking for.

1) A design that does not take away too much from the original.
2) Portability.

As far, as the cooling system goes, once the gps/compass is removed from its original location, using any kind of a module case that can house the unit will suffice just as long as it is ventilated, and when modding "there's 100 ways to skin a cat, pick one" Because it is not really hard to find a solution just as long as the first series questions of the mod. has been satisfied.
Thanks RPR, for the feed back and your thoughts for the direction that I should be heading and it is noted with interest. You will be a sounding board for some ore ideas. Or I should say
Uneekideaz. Johnno Hennessy.

Hi Phaedrus,
I gave an ambient temperature in the shade, but no use doing the test in the shade as the H will fly very little in the shade , but out in the open in the sun shine for good photos. No disrespect intended by that statement, the H is started away from the pilot (me I stand in the shade) and then binds and links to ST16 for preflight and then off on the mission as planned. I have flown in the shade through my carport and free stand storage sheds and awnings over semi-trailer loading bays. That is why I made the TOWER so that I can do this without any problems. I hope that may answer some of your questions. Johnno Hennessy.

I understand what you are doing. I also like the white coating idea.

I understand what you are doing. I also like the white coating idea.
It was very interesting researching colours on ebay computer and why they are chosen, especially with airliners and negative heat then friction heat and transmitted heat. You can not have a cooling effect without air movement,Wether it is convection or mechanical movement. I am afraid that white is the best answer and the easy peel coat is fantastic.
Johnno Hennessy.

Reactions: PatR and Phaedrus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diagram overseer