Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass Relocation

So if I have never gotten the compass calibration error mentioned, have never not had more than enough satellites, and the extra minute or so makes no difference to me, what do I gain by doing this?

You fly in the boondocks.. U Da Man! lol

If LA is the boondocks, then I guess you're right ?

I can see the benefit if you are having issues. The relocation makes sense. If I start having issues I'll look a this again.

Okay.. I will bet you $1k I will even go to L.A. Because, I don't really don't know where and what you fly. LOL

My review on that build went viral on Instagram, 2 weeks after Yuneec came out with 784. I’m putting Yuneec on blast again. I’m asking if they can make a new canopy with a better compass housing. [emoji23]
RPR
Yep! you get up 'em

Forgot to mention about John' kit I chose it becouse of the tower here in Aus the bloody temperture get 45C (113F) some time in Sydney now?

RPR
Yep! you get up 'em

Forgot to mention about John' kit I chose it becouse of the tower here in Aus the bloody temperture get 45C (113F) some time in Sydney now?

@John Hennessy has talked before on here and through emails. I am still waiting for a wire harness, but I kinda want my tower lower. John's idea is excellent, like me, he was frustrated. It get's hot here in California as well, but 113F Man! that's ****!

Reactions: Fenwick
@John Hennessy has talked before on here and through emails. I am still waiting for a wire harness, but I kinda want my tower lower. John's idea is excellent, like me, he was frustrated. It get's hot here in California as well, but 113F Man! that's ****!
I think you American got a big marchine and taking all cold air from the southern hemisphere that I think

My obsession, with connectivity started, a horrible Build/FW 777 and came up, my simple mod. Foiltastic
For sometime now, I have bought modules on Amazon, but ended up returning all of them. I have flown (hover) my TH Plus, where I taped my compass on the outer shell of the sUAS, and on the bench, when the compass is moved away from its current location, connectivity is gain. I strongly believe that by relocating the compass it helps gain connectivity by 30 seconds or less, instead of and minute and an excruciating seconds of waiting, with the original compass setup.

I finally found my module; I bought two of the Yuneec Typhoon H GPS Tower Adapter to test out 2 configurations. I removed the legs for my first configuration, so to keep things simple.

Here is what the module looks like.

View attachment 14991View attachment 14992

The mod:

View attachment 14994View attachment 14995View attachment 14996View attachment 14997

View attachment 14998

I don't want to send time explaining the mod. But there is my bench test. Note* I am on build/fw 784

Inside my office the TH Plus prior to mod. 0 (zero-red) Satellite and 2 (two-red) GPS.
By relocating the compass, I now have 1 (one-red) Satellite and 4 (four-red) GPS.
Outside my office, prior to mod. 5 (five - red) Satellite and 8 (eight-green) GPS. Time to acquire sat/gps connectivity is 01:55.
By relocating the compass, I now have 9 -12 (it varies) Satellites strength and 10 or 18 (it varies) GPS strength. Time to acquire sat/gps connectivity is 00:38

This is very promising, video flight report soon.
Hi RPR,
I now have full stock of the new connectors that the H plus and 520 need. The reason that the little module relocation is that he can not get the connectors needed to lift it higher. I will send you a message regarding some stuff for you to use. Johnno. You have been waiting a very long time as have I for the slow boat from China to land.
Johnno.

Reactions: RPR
Hi RPR,
I now have full stock of the new connectors that the H plus and 520 need. The reason that the little module relocation is that he can not get the connectors needed to lift it higher. I will send you a message regarding some stuff for you to use. Johnno. You have been waiting a very long time as have I for the slow boat from China to land.
Johnno.

I have been waiting the harness for ages!!! Nice to hear from you again, John. I held back from the roof inspection that I was going to do a while back. The weather has not been great here in California, so I have been taking a little R&R, but next week, California will have some great weather and I will be back in on the work calendar.

It’s 12:29am and I’m packing to take the H+ in the coast again, and from the testing yesterday afternoon , I am getting more excited to get the H+ up again. Tomorrow’s will be the deciding factor towards getting the H520 this season.

You are right, John, the relocation made a whole lot of difference, and it is definitely a confidence builder. I recently took my TH Plus to Hawaii, it was a challenge due to connectivity. Wished that this mod was made available to my knowledge sooner. But, I can’t complain, there will be more to come with my H+ in the upcoming work calendar, because the 80% doc. (inspection) is just around the corner.

Hi RPR,
Thanks for the reply, sorry about the wait, but the new harnesses that they sent were the H480 connector on one end, then the 520 and H plus( which are the same ) connector on the other. It has now been sorted and I am looking forward to getting all of the things that you required. I watched that flight with the small relocator and I can confidently say that mine with the cooling fan will definitely give you a better satellite gain than that. But most importantly it will make the insides of the H a **** of a lot COOLER (1.5 to 1.9 CFM of air ) so all of the electronics will benefit and work better. I still have your address and so forth and I will let you know by email when I am going to send it. I have had to do a lot of my Building work and with the stuff up from the Harnesses it has put me behind, but I am catching up very quickly.
Regards Johnno.
Keep flying on the Green side of the GRASS.

Today, I have concluded my field test, and I can now say that I am 200% confident of my Typhoon H Plus, due to a very simple modification. Today was the first day of being back in the work circulation, and took the Yuneec to work, I was amazed, yet again! I will post a video of that soon, but for now. MY TH PLUS IS A BRAND NEW BIRD!!!!!

On this field, there are pockets of geometric interference that at one point, I would not fly my Yuneec Typhoon H Plus in this field. FYI this field will soon be developed by Lennar, and have spent time mapping it's grid with a DJI Inspire, and it to ran into geomagnetic interference as well as ample compass error notifications. On this flight, I flew over the key problematic spots, and the Yuneec Typhoon H Plus had no loss of visual, pixilation, and interruptions, even thought that throughout the flight I only have a maximum of 5 satellite connectivity. This shows to prove that the compass location on the original Typhoon H Plus or any of Yuneec's drones needs to be addressed.

What do you think is causing the magnetic issues? Underground transmission lines, pipelines, etc.?

I don't really know, but here is the location 37.215962, -121.742026

The interference only happens in certain spots. This area is close to PG&E Metcalf Transmission Substation, and MetCalf Energy Center . I mapped this area, with my P4P and i1 and surveyed with my i2. the GO APP is also prone to glitches here. In the video, the TH P lost 2.4GHz for a few seconds. TH Plus with stock config. would have a hard time on this site, but today the H+ did remarkably well vs DJI i1 and Mavic on this site as well as in site 37.516608, -122.053539 I will post the video soon. The H+ flew over a structure for the first time, and I got to finally go my moneys worth from the C23.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Interesting. By themselves neither the power station of sub-station would worry me. But combine that with the number of lines and the proximity to the railroad tracks are doing something weird? I've flown along tracks, but only with normal power/phone lines. Strange. And it's repeatable too!?

Just noticed the fencing close to your problem area. What altitude are you at?

I slow and low. My max is 250, but I stay at 100 at most.

Trains is not a biggie, but you are right it’s the power lines, because the Mavic 2 is the only drone that can tackle certain areas that I once could not fly my H+

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuneecfan49