Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Confused over the ST16 Screen

Reaction score
Hello Folks. Just transferred over from the Mavic 2 Forum after buying a new Typhoon H+, and I have some questions. I'm really not that mentally challenged and electronic devices don't usually stump me, but here goes. After following the setup instructions for theTyphoon, I downloaded the new firmware versions to update the drone, camera and controller. I then Googled how to do install the updates, since the quick start guide didn't help much. I found many YouTube videos done by some amazing people who put a lot of effort into their work, but none of them were working with a controller that looked like mine. These videos were from 2016, 17 and 18 and they show screen menus that mine does not have. In fact, I can't find a menu screen at all. I've got pretty pictures on the screen and a few icons across the top once the camera is on, but these folks keep telling me to click settings>system>update and I don't have anything that comes close to that. The system finds the drone and the camera controls operate and I get no messages on screen that indicate firmware updates are needed or available, however the firmware versions showing for the controller, camera and drone are all lower versions than what is on the Yuneec download web site for this model. Everything looks like it should work, but the screen is so different from what is on YouTube, I'm guessing Yuneec made some significant changes to the ST16 that make these videos moot. I haven't powered the drone up, because, frankly, I'm afraid to let it take off without some definitive confirmation that all the components are talking to each other and the system is completely updated. Watching a $2000 drone lift up and fly away is not going to make my 4th a very happy one. That actually happened to me 4 years ago with a DJI Phantom II. I'm guessing it flew until the battery died and it landed somewhere off the Pacific Coast Highway. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

Before you go any further, read this manual. Then sit down with the drone and controller powered up and connected, but with no props installed and DO NOT spin the motors. As you read through the manual a second time, make sure you can identify what you’re reading on the controller and aircraft.

Once you complete this orientation with your aircraft and controller.....IF you still have questions, post them in the correct forum, the H Plus forum. Understand that the H+ is a newer aircraft and videos from 2016/17 probably won’t apply, as it’s completely different than the H released then. This is why you’re seeing screens that don’t match.

Welcome aboard...the H+ is a great aircraft but it is not a Buy-n-Fly bird. You need to spend the time to learn about it and the controller.

Attachments

• Typhoon H Plus Manual v0.8.pdf
    7.1 MB · Views: 17
First and foremost, any video produced in 2016 had absolutely nothing relative to the H Plus as the Plus did not come into existence until 2018. You have been watching videos pertaining to the original Typhoon H 480 with names like H Pro or simply H. Although similar in appearance the H and H Plus are two very different aircraft. Their transmitters are completely different in hardware, software, and screen depictions as well. The two aircraft use very different firmware and updating is also different.

You must reference the correct aircraft/controller information. Go to the H Plus forum as previously suggested.

The updates for the H+ are all OTA (Over the Air) they cannot be downloaded from the website and installed. I am quite certain you are trying to install Typhoon H or Typhoon H Pro (both are H480 versions and use different electronics than your H+) firmware.

Please take advantage of the User Manual that @Fred Garvin attached in his post. The H+ is a very good aircraft, but there is a learning curve coming from a DJI aircraft.

I am moving this thread to the H+ Discussion forum.

Thanks. I discovered that, and once that mistake was corrected, everything became much clearer. Everything works fine, except for the SD card, which, regardless of being on the list of compatible cards for that camera, still does not work. No biggie. If that's the worst that happens, I'm good. Did discover the 'secret' menu within the St16s that appears when you press the 'compass calibration' tab 5 times, but since the new build it is now password protected. I guess Yuneec doesn't want you calibrating the gimbal, gyro and accelerometer any more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop