Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Cruise Control Question...

Reaction score
Hey folks...Happy Holidays To Everyone!

I recently upgraded the firmware to the latest (had not done it since September), so I'm just wrapping my head around the new features.

My question is on the Cruise Control using the D-Pad. Is it just me, or does the H only change direction when you rotate the craft somewhere in the 45 degree range? To further explain my question...here's what I'm doing:

1. Launching the H as normal (I recently re calibrated everything so it's all good)
2. I press the right D-Pad "UP" about 4 times to get the H moving forward
3. I then use the left stick on the controller to start turning the H and pointing it say +10 degrees

At this point I would expect the H to start flying in the direction that it's pointing...instead it just keeps moving forward in the original direction

It's only when I make more aggressive turns (it feels like 40-45 degrees), before it seems to respond and start flying in that direction.

Is this as expected, or do I have something set wrong?

Apologies is this question has already been asked, but I did a cursory search on the forum and didn't see it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Replying to my own message in the hopes that someone will chime in? :)

I can't be the only one with this question....or is it that people are just not using this feature?

Any help or insights would certainly be appreciated

I have not really tried turning the H while using cruise control so I can't give a definitive answer. I would expect it to be have the same way as pushing the right stick forward and then using the left stick to yaw. The yaw response has always seemed slow on the H. You have to push the stick farther than you would expect before she turns. I think this could be adjusted in channel settings.
I would suggest testing a comparison of right stick + yaw vs cruise control + yaw to see if there is a real difference.

Hey RiverRunner....many thanks for the response!

I wanted to practice with it some more yesterday, but the weather here is just not cooperating. I hear you about the yaw response, but I'm pretty sure it's a very different behavior. In the few times I got to try it, the Drone really did not respond to the Yaw until I made a very dramatic shift in direction and then it did start moving in the direction....and with the forward speed that was set via the D-Pad. So I know it's "Kinda" working!

It would just be nice if there was some setting or other thing I'm overlooking because to be honest...I'm not the best Pilot and quite frankly, I don't really want to be :). I'd just to be able to easily glide around, and shoot video without having to think to much about the flying part. And this "Cruise Control" feature was going to solve one of my big problems which was flying at a steady rate versus my "twitchy" finger SLOW-THEN-FAST flying skills. I just can seem to keep that stick in the same position long enough to get the kind of shots I want. I guess it's a good thing I never became a doctor! :D

Happy Holidays!

You could try monitoring the control outputs on the ST16 with the H turned on but on the ground. If the ST16 is showing yaw and the yaw is showing a positive value from the D-Pad setting I would expect the H to respond.

Know what you mean about the slow yaw response though. I ended up adjusting the settings to get a bit more response in turtle for the yaw and a bit less on aileron. Actually, the settings changed between the last two upgrades. Yaw response was increased slightly on the latest upgrade, but so was the aileron and it made it a bit twitchy.

Hey RiverRunner....many thanks for the response!

I wanted to practice with it some more yesterday, but the weather here is just not cooperating. I hear you about the yaw response, but I'm pretty sure it's a very different behavior. In the few times I got to try it, the Drone really did not respond to the Yaw until I made a very dramatic shift in direction and then it did start moving in the direction....and with the forward speed that was set via the D-Pad. So I know it's "Kinda" working!

It would just be nice if there was some setting or other thing I'm overlooking because to be honest...I'm not the best Pilot and quite frankly, I don't really want to be :). I'd just to be able to easily glide around, and shoot video without having to think to much about the flying part. And this "Cruise Control" feature was going to solve one of my big problems which was flying at a steady rate versus my "twitchy" finger SLOW-THEN-FAST flying skills. I just can seem to keep that stick in the same position long enough to get the kind of shots I want. I guess it's a good thing I never became a doctor! :D

Happy Holidays!

Push up slightly past turtle to get better yaw stick sensitivity and dpad behavior. Turtle mode equals no yaw unless stick is extremely hard and as you've noticed pushed up towards corner rather than straight over. It's easier to pan gimble then yaw and that's what works better in dpad cruise mode I've found. It's how the speed slider is changing expo curves and behaviors in the background. I've confirmed that with Yuneec when asking questions about expo curve editing. They purposely made turtle almost do nothing for beginners, safety, and steady hold shots. Think about it as a fluid head tripod and turtle mode won't cause an unexpected change to set position if you bump sticks with those frikin stupid straps. It's not a problem it's actually a solution. Raise the slider a tiny bit and it will be better. You will learn for smooth reliable descending shots nothing beats dropping down to full turtle and holding elevator stick fully down. When you are doing this, you want that no yaw sensitivity so you don't waggle around and loose the magic as you will wiggle that stick I guarantee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Subtle Shots
Hey IdleLoop...thanks for the tip, I will look at that as well.

CraigCam....I really appreciate your thoughts on this! I didn't really put 2 and 2 together, but I'll bet you are spot on right. I hope I get some good weather tomorrow as I would like to try what you suggest here.

Thanks again folks, Happy Holidays

Hey IdleLoop...thanks for the tip, I will look at that as well.

CraigCam....I really appreciate your thoughts on this! I didn't really put 2 and 2 together, but I'll bet you are spot on right. I hope I get some good weather tomorrow as I would like to try what you suggest here.

Thanks again folks, Happy Holidays

No worries. I'm currently obsessed with getting as high up a look I can point the camera in velocity mode and not see props or pods. The speed you fly (again that slider) determines how much the gimbal has to correct. If you hit forward throttle hard and race ahead, that first nose dip will often throw drone body parts into the shot. Same goes for pullbacks where you have to end at a point and de accelerate quickly. That's a total no go for me as I prefer to edit where I want to not because I have to. I did that kind of editing forever with my 350 and GoPro and later GoPro on Chroma.

Jello, landing gear, motorpods, and your own shadow in a shot is no good. Remember it's really a camera that happens to fly. With patience and practice you can get truly amazing POV shots that are just stunning. Happy and safe flying!

Replying to my own message in the hopes that someone will chime in? :)

I can't be the only one with this question....or is it that people are just not using this feature?

Any help or insights would certainly be appreciated
I played with it recently, it worked fine till the last few minutes of the battery, then started to toilet bowl, and had trouble landing it.

I played with it recently, it worked fine till the last few minutes of the battery, then started to toilet bowl, and had trouble landing it.

If you see that behavior, sometimes a good tilt left or right will stop the drifting for a bit while you get it down. Those of us who have contacted Yuneec and sent in for drift and fly aways are doing better as they find and replace the culprits and I'm sure all of us have had a new GPS board put in. From this forum, I see that's what going on. It's like a slow motion recall that you have to initiate. Don't hesitate to do it. They really want it to perform as advertised and here in the US do care.

Hiya Folks....

Well, I tried CraigCam and IdleLoops suggestions, but I'm sorry to report that I'm still getting the same behavior! What a **** shame as this was going to be my goto mode for getting the shots that I've been sooooo wanting to shoot.

My only next option is to try and use waypoints via UAV Toolkit. I was heading down that road anyway, but again...this feels like a miss for me (feature-wise).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I got the impression that the cruise control was more about getting smooth tracking shots than smooth flight in general. The turtle/rabbit slider does give you a much wider range of control than I ever make use of - it's too easy to forget it when you're trying to get a good shot. :)

HEY TUNA!!!

Thanks for the reply, and even more importantly, thanks for making UAV Tookbox! I'm just getting my head around it, and plan to try my first flights as soon as I get a break in the weather. Like others on this forum, I'd love to see a companion PC-Desktop version because I'm a lot more comfortable navigating with a mouse and keyboard. Nonetheless, I will make good use of Toolbox and plan to purchase it as I think you deserve some compensation for all your hard work.

Happy Holidays

Hiya Folks....

Well, I tried CraigCam and IdleLoops suggestions, but I'm sorry to report that I'm still getting the same behavior! What a **** shame as this was going to be my goto mode for getting the shots that I've been sooooo wanting to shoot.

My only next option is to try and use waypoints via UAV Toolkit. I was heading down that road anyway, but again...this feels like a miss for me (feature-wise).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'd contact Yuneec. It should not being doing this. You may have a bad stick.

I was trying this cruise control and not sure why they set this to start moving H only after several clicks on the button. why is it not start moving right away after fist push on the button ?

I was trying this cruise control and not sure why they set this to start moving H only after several clicks on the button. why is it not start moving right away after fist push on the button ?

It seems that's still a bit funky. Mine as well but it's easily compensated once it starts by clicking back down to slower speeds. It's a minor annoyance at best. Follow me doesn't react immediately either with out a more drastic move but once it does it's good. Ive found walking my sideways low shots with follow me on a good way to make fun horizontally cruising looks.

Initially, I suggest you visit the Yuneec firmware upload page and get up to date on the release information in the PDF files. That will at least let you see where the control functions are on the ST-16. I'll let others do the heavy lifting with all the explanations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval