Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

distance and what the eye perceives

Reaction score
sort of a bit of disappointment was hoping to share a cool video with you all as we have the Black pearl anchored in Weymouth Bay looking at it from the beach it looks so close and yet I tried to fly the drone out to get some good video and pictures but could not get close to it with outgoing out off Los.
so any recommendations on working outdistance to an object

blackpearl (1 of 1).jpg

If you have a reasonable idea as to the size (length) of an object (this is key to an accurate measurement of distance) the 'thumb' technique will get you in the ball park as far as range is concerned
The following is from 'Math is Fun'

• Hold your arm straight out, thumb up
  • Close one eye, align your thumb with distant object
  • Switch eyes (don't move your thumb!)
  • Your thumb will seem to change position
Now ... estimate how far it moved sideways (you could imagine the length of a car or something). This is where you need to know an object's length.

Car.gif

Multiply that by 10 and you have an estimate of how far away.

This works based on the fact that the distance from your eyes to your thumb is about 10 times the distance between your eyes.

Maybe think hard about it. The number of small vessels around the yacht make it a risky flight, especially at that kind of distance. I know my heart would break to miss a chance like that, but sometimes, you just have to let an opportunity pass.

thanks, Guys i think i like @Steve Carr choice if it's here long enough but @Ty Pilot length is 106.7 m how many cars is that lol
@WTFDproject i was aware of the other boats the timing was for them to be going back in but doesn't always work with little to no wind ( local club race) I also had to wait for the beach to clear before i could take off second battery flight they had all gone but at that stage i knew i could not get close enough need to get on a boat and get closer. could be arranged for Monday but expect it to be gone by then

sort of a bit of disappointment was hoping to share a cool video with you all as we have the Black pearl anchored in Weymouth Bay looking at it from the beach it looks so close and yet I tried to fly the drone out to get some good video and pictures but could not get close to it with outgoing out off Los.

View attachment 17845

It would be Awesome to see a Closeup

Reactions: thetrecker
Never heard of it til I google it, I thought it was the Pirate ship from the film at first. Luckily my father in law has a boat, but I don't think I'd risk flying from s boat.

Last edited:
At first flying from a boat was worrisome, but now I'm more comfortable. "Pice of cake" Landing is caught by hand.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
Never heard of it til I google it, I thought it was the Pirate ship from the film at first. Luckily my father in law has a boat, but I don't think I'd risk flying from s boat.
wiki link its worth a read youtube
just borrowed these pics from a friend on facebook one from last night he has a much better camera than i have
67472271_10157813976678933_3904422977722122240_o.jpg67428283_10157818977188933_2446229727589957632_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KEITH KUHN
At first flying from a boat was worrisome, but now I'm more comfortable. "Pice of cake" Landing is caught by hand.
if it's still there Monday I will be trying to get out there just depends how busy my friend is. I almost always hand catch now so happy with that.
it is an awesome yacht and would be a shame to miss the opportunity

You could take pictures from shore at two locations. Then locate the ship against the other shore on Google Maps.

View attachment 17846
Steve,
You are definitely smarter than the average bear. I"m always amazed at your knowledge about flying. You've helped me a lot in the past! BTW, the day after my birthday last month, I passed my Part 107 recurrent with only one missed question out of 40. Not a big deal to most, but I am 75 after all! I can't say I've done anything with it, but it is fun to learn some of the rules.
Stan

Steve,
You are definitely smarter than the average bear. I"m always amazed at your knowledge about flying. You've helped me a lot in the past! BTW, the day after my birthday last month, I passed my Part 107 recurrent with only one missed question out of 40. Not a big deal to most, but I am 75 after all! I can't say I've done anything with it, but it is fun to learn some of the rules.
Stan
Says 73 on your header, don't wish your time away!

View attachment 17845
I may have missed what type of Drone you said you were flying.
Which drone was it
please ?
Thanks

I'd have to google it, but there's actually a formula you can use to estimate distance from an object in a photo based on the size of the cameras sensors and the focal length of the lens.

Reactions: thetrecker

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dharminder