Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

DJI blocks commercial flight.

Steve Carr

Missed Approach
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Just saw an interesting post on a UAV legal page. At least Yuneec owners don't have to deal with this kind of control from China.

"Is or was there a class action lawsuit against dji for forces authorizations for no fly zones? I had my NOTAM filed, tower permission and transport Canada certification, and dji grounded me...no notice that the area I would be flying in had a nfz around it, and no notification that I had to apply for flight 24-48 hours ahead of time. Dji cost me over $2500 today alone in lost income and travel, and I will have to reshoot another day, putting me behind by another $2500.....its garbage that hey have control for 48 hours when sometimes I don't even know I'm flying until 12 hours before. My gov have me all the needed permissions in 3 hours, why the F should I have to submit permission forms to a foreign company to fly locally...."

Reactions: Yuneecfreak
Just saw an interesting post on a UAV legal page. At least Yuneec owners don't have to deal with this kind of control from China.

"Is or was there a class action lawsuit against dji for forces authorizations for no fly zones? I had my NOTAM filed, tower permission and transport Canada certification, and dji grounded me...no notice that the area I would be flying in had a nfz around it, and no notification that I had to apply for flight 24-48 hours ahead of time. Dji cost me over $2500 today alone in lost income and travel, and I will have to reshoot another day, putting me behind by another $2500.....its garbage that hey have control for 48 hours when sometimes I don't even know I'm flying until 12 hours before. My gov have me all the needed permissions in 3 hours, why the F should I have to submit permission forms to a foreign company to fly locally...."
Blows me away every time I hear about what they force their customers to do with something they own.

How do you spell dji? I spell it a p p l e. :D

I've seen several complaints like this. It's amazing that people still buy these things when they can't count on them for a job.

I've seen several complaints like this. It's amazing that people still buy these things when they can't count on them for a job.
And it is being shown over and over who has control. But with as many owners as they have, it's probably only a drop in the bucket as to how many actually understand the control DJI has.

While I'm out in the sticks, (because of too much gov/idiots intervention) I would be PO'd beyond reasonable at that.
I almost bought a DJI, till I read something similar.
Way back (1991)when GPS was in its infancy . I had a guidance system on some farm equip, even though I owned it free and clear the company had a "kill chip" at a random time during the year it was dead until I called in for a code to get it operational.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Just shaking my head while I quietly rage against the machine. For what its worth, I voted with my dollars and opted for Yuneec. I've never looked back. During my decision making, forced firmware updates by grounding, for me, was a huge strike against choosing DJI.

Unfortunately Microsoft is becoming more like Apple every day, there are no good options right now for PC OS's. Besides only being able to, at best, defer Windows 10 updates, and having had to recover several people's PC's using Windows 10 which have had failed updates, it now looks like Microsoft would let you actually buy a license for the yet to be released Office 2019, (sounds good for a change), unfortunately it also looks like it may only work on Windows 10. And for the latest, Microsoft is playing around with the idea of no longer letting users install software even if you have a setup on CD or can download one. Future updates of Windows 10 may only allow software to be installed from the Microsoft store. I sure hope they don't do this.

I guess the idea or (illusion) of ownership is becoming more of a reality every day with companies imposing their will through the (Internet of Things) always on connected devices. I know people say, vote with your dollars but once every company is on board you won't have a choice.

BTW - I used to like my GoPro until the Capture software to control the camera required a login and seemingly wants you to share your photos with the world in the 'Cloud'. They're my photos, aren't they? I manually downgraded my phone to the older software and disabled updates. It's my frick'n camera (or so I thought). Guess I'm a Luddite.

When I had to order a new PC last year, I ordered it with Win7. I hate Whine10. My next move will likely be Linux. I've used it for some special functions and I like the speed.

Reactions: gwhuntoon
GW;

You might want to try GoPro’s cloud just to mess with their heads. Copyright laws have been updated and if they repost one of your photos without permission you have them by the short hairs.

BTW - I used to like my GoPro until the Capture software to control the camera required a login and seemingly wants you to share your photos with the world in the 'Cloud'. They're my photos, aren't they? I manually downgraded my phone to the older software and disabled updates. It's my frick'n camera (or so I thought). Guess I'm a Luddite.

I recently got another GoPro Hero 5 and noticed that for the first couple of days with little use the battery level was acting normal. Last week I was doing a lot of shooting around town for a video I am doing along with a ton of stills. That night, I took all my gear in and methodically charged everything for the next day. When I got to the location I was setting up to do a time lapse and the battery level was LOW!!!! I hadn't even used it since fully charging the night before.:mad:

Well a couple evenings reading up and see that the camera doesn't really turn off at all, It just goes into a sleep mode all the while if its connected, I suppose it is uploading all your content.I'm with you - its my **** camera, my pics and my videos.

New Routine for GoPro - Battery is charged externally and kept out of the camera til I'm ready to use. Pain in the you-know-what but if thats hows it gotta be, then so be it. :)

Since we’re off-topic...

Something tells me you guys haven’t succumbed to voluntarily surrendering your DNA for some giddy idea you might find yourself related to some royalty, celebrity, or history, eh?

[emoji882][emoji304]

Last edited:
And for the latest, Microsoft is playing around with the idea of no longer letting users install software even if you have a setup on CD or can download one. Future updates of Windows 10 may only allow software to be installed from the Microsoft store. I sure hope they don't do this.

This would work if every piece of software was passed through the Quality Labs to ensure compatibility. Since that incurs a fee from the developers, prices would increase, and only top-tier devs like Adobe and Autodesk would have products in the store. GIMP and Blender wouldn't be available since they're freeware and don't really have enough of a profit margin to afford the Windows Quality Certification.

I will stick with Windows 8.1 x64 Pro for as long as I can. Windows 10 looks more and more like a move to restrict end-user flexibility and choice.

Since we’re off-topic...

Something tells me you guys haven’t succumbed to voluntarily surrendering your DNA for some giddy idea you might find yourself related to some royalty, celebrity, or history, eh?

[emoji882][emoji304]
My dad, some years ago before he passed, researched his family tree as a project to do during his retirement from being an engineer. Guess who he turned up in his tree?

Wyatt Earp!!!

So, that's my claim to fame. I'm distantly related to Wyatt Earp...and that is true. Not bad for a bloke living in the English Pennines.

They recon that if you can go back far enough everyone is related to just about everyone else

My dad, some years ago before he passed, researched his family tree as a project to do during his retirement from being an engineer. Guess who he turned up in his tree?

Wyatt Earp!!!

So, that's my claim to fame. I'm distantly related to Wyatt Earp...and that is true. Not bad for a bloke living in the English Pennines.

They recon that if you can go back far enough everyone is related to just about everyone else

hi Flush!

That's pretty cool! I'll have to remember to keep up my guard if ever encountering you on a dusty back road in some podunk ghost town!

Jeff

hi Flush!

That's pretty cool! I'll have to remember to keep up my guard if ever encountering you on a dusty back road in some podunk ghost town!

Jeff
'Parently a couple of hundred years ago an ancestor immigrated to the U.S. and was run over by a horse and cart. His wife was deported back to the U.K. but his offspring stayed and eventually married into the Earp family...so I believe.

BTW. My dad's grandfather (could have been his great grandfather) lived in Buckinghamshire in England and the story goes that he was thrown out of the village where he lived for being a drain on the village's resources...he was a tramp (vagabond) and the people there just got fed up of him and his demands for charity. So, although it really pains me to say it, I have some Southern counties blood in my veins!

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
FlushVision,

Your family and mine may have had encounters in the past. Family history has me related to the Reno brothers of train robbery infamy.

Apparently, some tens of thousands of years ago (if not a couple of hundred thousand years ago, I forget the details now), there was supposed to be a population bottle-neck where the human population finished up being confined to just one small place in Africa and the numbers of humans alive were minuscule small. This is why I say that if I could possibly trace my tree far enough back (and I can't) I'm very likely related to PatR and just about any other member of this forum...frightening :eek:

I can't be bothered to look it up myself right now but I'm sure a swift google search will turn up something on the subject.

FlushVision,

Your family and mine may have had encounters in the past. Family history has me related to the Reno brothers of train robbery infamy.
Not that familiar with the Reno brothers...indeed, I've never heard of them until just now. I'll do a google this evening:)

Linus IS Great. i concur.. i just wiped a pc for my garage and installed cinamon 17.3 distro on it.. was super easy.. took less then an hour start to finish. boots right up .. works perfect. downloaded the ISO and created / loaded it right to a USB stick.. FUN..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval