Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

E50 / E90

Had a few flights today and ran into issues with the E90 gimbal. On the first flight I noticed the gimbal wasn't level and was drifting, so landed to recalibrate. The horizon was better on the second flight, but not perfect. Recalibrated again for the third flight, but the gimbal again wasn't level. It was quite windy and I noticed the gimbal was vibrating with the wind while calibrating. In flight, the wind was sufficient to make the H520 lean considerably and it seemed that only when facing into or away from the wind the gimbal was most level, but not otherwise. Calibration was made on level ground, I believe.
The second issue was an unacceptable curvature of the horizon. See the second photo.
The detail in the images seems excellent and I like the enhanced colour setting as it seems more realistic than natural.
Video produced three files; .MP4, .LRS and .THM. I can view the MP4 on my Windows 10 player, but my Adobe Premiere Elements will not play it, saying there's a missing codec. The images below are from video. Any comments welcome!View attachment 7405 View attachment 7403

Graham,

Not having a 520, or time to read the manual, so have to ask: Is the camera/gimbal calibration similar to the H/480? If so, I would expect to calibrate in the same conditions: level, indoors, no huge fans blowing at it!

Your "very windy... gimbal vibrating ... while calibrating" statement is what caught my eye. My first thought is to calibrate in better conditions and try again before thinking something is wrong with the gimbal/camera.

Just my first thoughts...

Jeff

P.S. did the image files disappear? Not seeing them, even though PatR seems to be commenting on them.

Reactions: Rayray
The gimbal calibration is similar to the Typhoon H. The photo files should be there.
I did the gimbal calibration yesterday, indoors, level floor, no wind. When I arrived at the site, I did a compass calibration, shut down, fitted the props, re-started the H520 and took off. I then noted the gimbal being badly off and landed. I didn't think the gimbal would correct on it's own, so did a calibration on site. Couldn't think what else to do.

Just to compare, the last gopro Hero 6, sorry for the off topic, but ...
there are aerial images:rolleyes:

Unboxing of the E50 and small mod for blocking the gymbal in transport

I believe the gimbal calibrations need to be done level and out of any wind. Indoors is fine.
After re-calibration, the gimbal has behaved extremely well during all subsequent flights, including breezy conditions. I now think it is excellent. I'm much happier, but there's still the issue of the curved horizon.

Last edited:
Just to compare, the last gopro Hero 6, sorry for the off topic, but ...
there are aerial images:rolleyes:

In spite of being mainly intended for another public (sport adventure, etc.) is a clear of just the opposite that has been talked about a lot lately. Promotion of a product by the company itself.

In spite of being mainly intended for another public (sport adventure, etc.) is a clear of just the opposite that has been talked about a lot lately. Promotion of a product by the company itself.
"that has been talked about a lot lately" :rolleyes:

Random E90 Camera flashes.

1) and 2): Checking a Hexbeam Ham Radio antenna. Tight quarters, trees all around.
Hex Ham Radio Antenna-E90Cam.jpg
Hex Ham Radio Antenna-E90Cam-2.jpg

3) Field landing pad. Notice hold-down pins. easy to move around.
Field Landing Pad w-pins2.jpg

4) Early night horizon. Is it level?
520 E90Camera-horizon-3.jpg

Reactions: Tuna and arruntus
Random E90 Camera flashes.

1) and 2): Checking a Hexbeam Ham Radio antenna. Tight quarters, trees all around.
View attachment 7413
View attachment 7414

3) Field landing pad. Notice hold-down pins. easy to move around.
View attachment 7415

4) Early night horizon. Is it level?
View attachment 7416

If it looks like it's leveled, no problem with that image.

That idea for the field landing pad I was looking at, using tips and that's it. In the end yesterday I purchase a 100cm one that comes with the bag and folds back.

The distance to the antenna which was for photo 2? I say this to establish a distance comparison and then compare it with the distances of the E50 that is already on sale.

Hi all, can someone give me some info, Iv been lead to believe that the E90 can be used as a standalone with out the craft but with the ST16, is this correct ?

Hi all, can someone give me some info, Iv been lead to believe that the E90 can be used as a standalone with out the craft but with the ST16, is this correct ?

If by ST16 you mean the ST16S which is the new transmiter of the H520 probably by providing power to the camera E90 can be, so far unconfirmed. If you mean to control it the logic says no since the commands are transmitted in 2.4Ghz and it is through the aircraft. The camera has a 5.8Ghz link but only for the image. Telemetry is weak in the image.

If you're referring to the ST16 (issued by the H480) probably not but it's something very simple to try. Some of the phenomena we have around here can prove it quickly :)

No sorry means the St16S, so even if you got image then you would have no camera controls :(, was hoping this could be an option for self builders, someone would do very well making something fully comparable.

No sorry means the St16S, so even if you got image then you would have no camera controls :(, was hoping this could be an option for self builders, someone would do very well making something fully comparable.

The way the H520 works, I can get confused, that's what it says. Another thing is to go deeper into the controller of the gymbal and if you can establish a connection with it through a specific communication protocol such as mavlink. Can it be done? almost certainly yes. In a simple way? probably not.

As with many other things, the PX4-based drones are DIY, so if there is a real interest there will be people with extensive knowledge to put on and get it.

Salut,
Someone compared the E90 vs P4Pro camera ? which is the best?

@Rayray
the level is perfect but have you taken a picture with trees on the edges of the photo to see the vertical deformations ?

Last edited:
A nice video from Spain with good shots of the E90 mounted on the H520

Another with the E90 also in low light conditions, sunset. A good video well executed and with good footage. So much corn has made me hungry....;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvca441772