Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

End of Life - Phantom 4 & 5

Doug,

DJI, with few exceptions, has not been noted for releasing “drop in” hardware to upgrade previous releases. Their SOP is to release a new model incorporating minor upgrades to capture much greater revenue. Backwards compatibility is not their strong suit.
Does yuneec have a chance to catch this time to increase the market share?

Like Fred & Barney, Yuneec needs to put the feet down and start running hard to catch up in many facets... or as a start, just add to & improve current stock... but advertise, sell and Advertise. Even with same product, advertising would move product.

Reactions: PatR and brianpk
I started with a Phantom 2 Vision. Crashed it badly and thought it would be a write-off so I got a Phantom 2 Vision Plus. Crashed that too so I decided to try and repair the original P2V. After a lot of work I managed to repair the P2V so well that it flew better than it ever did, so I had a go at repairing the P2V+. That went well too. Moving forward when I got my H480 at the beginning of June 2016 I decided to retire that original P2V but I still regularly fly my P2V+ to this day. An easy aircraft to fly but my H480 looks far better in the air.

My H480 is my go-to aircraft for commercial stuff but my Phantom is still good for the odd task when the job calls for it.

Nowt wrong with my P2V+. The H480 is far superior at many levels but, for me, the P2V+ still has it's uses.

Now I'll hide under a rock and hang myself.
LoL... little fitting excerpt from Game of Thrones.... Shame, Shame, Shame!!

Reactions: FlushVision

Capturing the imagination of the millenials and Gen Z is a challenge, because these generations woke up to the digital age, and are introduced to having great quality products, as well as streamline communication, with less to no interruptions.

Not a single one has been realized.

You want an honest answer?

Based upon previous performance, and the obvious results of changes in fiscal and management policies, no. They’ve put all their attention into reacting to changes and conditions instead of guiding buyers towards new products and capabilities.

Unless and until they start projecting what the market wants and needs, and designing ahead of where competitors are today the best they can do is continue to barely survive by capturing the few that elect to avoid the market leader and those selling for less money. Until they start exciting and pleasing the customers instead of kow towing to a defective business management position they can’t possibly move forwards into a leadership position.

As they have no leadership they cannot lead. They could fix that and jump ahead but doing so would require something I don’t think they have. Balls. They also need to hire, and support, a design team that understands performance, features, and quality need to be present when a product is initially released instead of releasing a marginal product and attempting to correct issues later through poorly executed firmware updates.

Last edited:
Only 1 walks the plate of Shame in the group! Nah!! The most iconic, loved & hated drone. I’d wager over 1/2 this forum started, sampled or garaged the Phantom. Difficult to be so strong against such a fine piece of history without experience. Come’on Share your event with the ‘ole gal... no judgement.

I at least drove the Fix-Or-Repair-Daily before casting the 1st Chevy stone!

While the only DJI UAV is have owned is a Tello (Ryse), I do drive a First-On-Race-Day PU. I have owned Chevy but the inevitable oil puddle depressed me.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
I wonder if the fact that the "iconic" Phantom is the universal bad drone graphic used my the media for every drone incident had any bearing on this decision. It is a huge whole in their line. I loathe their nanny state attitude with respect to unlocking their product.

So buh-by. No tears shed here.

That was my initial thought too, in nearly every story or even adds showing 'drones' it was always a phantom or a Phantom clone. Strange though, just yesterday I got a flyer in the mail from the AOPA, first I've seen our bird used in such media.

Hex.jpg

While the only DJI UAV is have owned is a Tello (Ryse), I do drive a First-On-Race-Day PU. I have owned Chevy but the inevitable oil puddle depressed me.
Maybe First to arrive, but last to Finish! ;)
*** edit*** And to the distress of both brands, neither now a days... the tin-can remake Toyota is grabbing the checker!! How insulting eh, well least it too is USA made!

Last edited:
I wonder if the fact that the "iconic" Phantom is the universal bad drone graphic used my the media for every drone incident had any bearing on this decision. It is a huge whole in their line. I loathe their nanny state attitude with respect to unlocking their product.

So buh-by. No tears shed here.
On the publishing side, major packages & brands, out of all the various clip art. You can always find a quad looking much like the Phantom... often the only one. It will probably be the drone “image” for some time!

Reactions: FlushVision
Those P models really looked cheap and toyish! I never owned one and never cared to even purchase one!

Well, I will fess up ? I own (still) a Phantom 2. This was before nanny-ware and it was a decent platform for what it did, I never had any problems from it. In the end though, I went with the Yuneec Typhoon H because it had the all of the features I wanted and looked like something meant for work.

Still does - I just wish they would iron out the wrinkles - so much potential.??

I still have both a Phantom 2 Vision and a Phantom 2 Vision +. There were great in their day. Relics now. I think I have a F450 tucked away in a corner someplace too.

Those P models really looked cheap and toyish! I never owned one and never cared to even purchase one!
With ya... any angle... just... just Not!
Looks like an old movie / tv show prop... dangling from a string!

May tug a few memories... go back, way back to 60’s.
Had a toy series by Mattel called “Major Matt Mason”... all the space gear. I had’em all... space station, jet pack, etc. There was 4 legged Moon Walker, the Phantom always reminded me of one of 4 leg wheels... Toy!

Reactions: AH-1G
Today was the finale of the Game Of Thrones, and the list of drones used.

Neo
Inspire
Phantom

Today was the finale of the Game Of Thrones, and the list of drones used.

Neo
Inspire
Phantom

???.....tonight was Episode 3.....still more to go....

BTW, best battle sequence next to Saving Private Ryan.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech