Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Finally decided to update to latest Firmware and tested.

Reaction score
Hello guys, just wanted to share with you that Finally I'm back with my Typhoon H after 3 long months of being physically away and unable to use it.

I don't know if you remember but I was very comfortable with the firware update from September 1st 2016, and since it performed flawlessly with it I didn't see any reason to update.

However... I was leaving out one of the most important functions I was looking for from the Typhoon H: I wasn't able to test the IPS flight properly, since the "regular" operation is pretty much unpredictable. I debated a lot with myself if I should upgrade since there's basically no way back (although its possible to downgrade the aircraft its not possible for the ground station, and I wouldn't be comfortable operating it with out of synch updates)

I feel that this was a very big jump, since it's close to a year since my last update!

update.jpg

Anyway, I decided to go ahead and check if the "manual IPS activation" was implemented on later firmware updates; good news, it was!

I went out to a very large open field and tested the H in general and also the IPS by itself. Everything worked pretty much okay, however I do see some new, different behaviours that have me cautious about this upgrade.

As it's become a tradition I'll try and bring you soon a video about this in case anyone's interested. (as much as I wanted to document today's experience the, heat here in northern MX kept making my phone overheat and stop recording)

I still have to upgrade my other aircraft to take and test as well, I hope to be able to do so tomorrow!

Greetings!

I have the same update to do but just haven't gotten around to doing it. Keep us posted on your findings. i don't have IPS so what you come up with will be interesting for those that do.

Anyway, I decided to go ahead and check if the "manual IPS activation" was implemented on later firmware updates; good news, it was!

I went out to a very large open field and tested the H in general and also the IPS by itself. Everything worked pretty much okay, however I do see some new, different behaviours that have me cautious about this upgrade.

Where is this manual IPS activation ?

Hello guys, just wanted to share with you that Finally I'm back with my Typhoon H after 3 long months of being physically away and unable to use it.
Everything worked pretty much okay, however I do see some new, different behaviours that have me cautious about this upgrade.
Greetings!
Hi Jules,
Regarding the different flight behaviors with the H, do they resemble what is in this video Setting up a Rate Curve for the ST16

Hi Jules,
Regarding the different flight behaviors with the H, do they resemble what is in this video Setting up a Rate Curve for the ST16

Hmm not exactly, I noted a couple different things during take off and landing, can't really tell about the flight itself as it's been a long time since I flew the H and had been flying with my toy hexas; I kind of lost "the feel" so I couldn't really tell.

Heres the link to video of it.
It looks like some kind of unofficial way to do this. I don't remember that I saw this in official manual.
So what does it means to be in IPS mode, is this only purpose to fly indoors or what ?
And how to switch off IPS mode ?

It looks like some kind of unofficial way to do this. I don't remember that I saw this in official manual.
So what does it means to be in IPS mode, is this only purpose to fly indoors or what ?
And how to switch off IPS mode ?
From what I understand, when you have the RS module on your H it is "always" on, this is just a way to put in manually into the IPS mode. Instead of waiting for it to acquire GPS inside. I have had this unit in my basement and after about 5 min with no GPS signal it will go to ready on GPS indicating that the RS module is going to be controlling position of H via the IPS module.
Personally if I am flying inside I will put it in that mode to prevent GPS from interfering. I dont want to fly next to a window and get a half *** GPS signal that will cause the H to "correct" position. I am not 100% sure that would happen, but I also am not daring enough to try.

Reactions: zandoli and THoff
Wow... can you assign a switch to do this instead of the super secret hand shake type method?

So I'm new to my Typhoon H and did the upgrade this afternoon. The controller said IT was successful, and my version information matches what the OP posted, but my camera info is incomplete and on my home screen, no data or any kind appears in the boxes now. It did before the update. What the freak did I do, and what do I do to UNDO it? 20170715_155753_resized.jpg 20170715_155637-1.jpg

So I'm new to my Typhoon H and did the upgrade this afternoon. The controller said IT was successful, and my version information matches what the OP posted, but my camera info is incomplete and on my home screen, no data or any kind appears in the boxes now. It did before the update. What the freak did I do, and what do I do to UNDO it? View attachment 6654 View attachment 6655

Hi @Bigfoot46555 . After my first update this happened to me, I didn't know what happened and I definitely felt I had bricked my unit. But don't freak out.

After the update the aircraft and the controller "reset" so they no longer recognize each other. You must rebind them together (aircraft controls works separately from the camera, so you will bind both of them separately to your controller.

Follow the procedure on this video and you will be good to go!

Greetings!

P.S. Make sure to perform all the calibrations again before flying! (compass, accelerometer and gimbal)

Hi @Bigfoot46555 . After my first update this happened to me, I didn't know what happened and I definitely felt I had bricked my unit. But don't freak out.

After the update the aircraft and the controller "reset" so they no longer recognize each other. You must rebind them together (aircraft controls works separately from the camera, so you will bind both of them separately to your controller.

Follow the procedure on this video and you will be good to go!

Greetings!

P.S. Make sure to perform all the calibrations again before flying! (compass, accelerometer and gimbal)

DUDE! Very sincere THANKS! I'm working again. Just freaks you out when something so simple as "click an update button" causes an issue. So now, just sitting here, the tail light is green more or the time then cycles 'white' then back to green longer and repeats. Everything cool with that? This little cheat card they supplied has way to much info on it for me. (ha)

Thanks again. -Mike

DUDE! Very sincere THANKS! I'm working again. Just freaks you out when something so simple as "click an update button" causes an issue. So now, just sitting here, the tail light is green more or the time then cycles 'white' then back to green longer and repeats. Everything cool with that? This little cheat card they supplied has way to much info on it for me. (ha)

Thanks again. -Mike

That card is missing a lot of information, there's alot of information around the forum on the Status light, but basicallly, the intermitent white flash during solid purple(angle) or green(smart) is a confirmation that everything is OK!

Reactions: Bigfoot46555
Thanks again. -Mike
There some important steps that are easy to miss when doing the update. Review this video and make sure that you did all these steps.
When you are finished removing the flight data you will need to do all the calibrations. When you start the H for the first time outside, let is sit after bootup for about 13 min with the motors off. That will allow the GPS to fully update. You only need to do this once after the update.

This post is obviously aimed at those who still haven't performed the latest update for whatever reason like I did.

Saturday I went out on a casual flight session and decided to upload the footage.

So far it's still performing fine.

I do notice veeery small differences during flight. The most significant differences I've noticed so far:

- Slightly less smooth take-off (kind of jumpy, props sound like they hiccupp for a fraction of second, I just find it weird)
- Slightly longer time to idle after landing (for me neither a good or bad thing).
- Max climb speed was significantly reduced
- Slightly smoother flight (less twitchy at low rates)

Aircraft running latest firmware 1.35

Greetings!

Reactions: nechsproject
This post is obviously aimed at those who still haven't performed the latest update for whatever reason like I did.
- Max climb speed was significantly reduced
- Slightly smoother flight (less twitchy at low rates) Greetings!
Some of the flight characteristics changed by the max climb rate is still 3 m/sec. when in Rabbit mode. Have you checked your controls in Hardware Monitor lately?

Been thinking of it and have been checking a few videos I have around. I do hear a softer rev-up of the motors, but still its just a somewhat subjective comparison.

But if the max climb rate is still the same, then perhaps (as part of the smoother overal response) maybe only the initial "jump" is also smoother and just eases into max (could make sense to be easier on the battery; softer sudden voltage pull?)

PS. Yes, I make sure to check HW regularly =D

Jules,

Have you experienced anything with the latest software that you view as an issue or detriment to performance?

Jules,

Have you experienced anything with the latest software that you view as an issue or detriment to performance?

Trying to describe the things I notice is a bit subjective, (and possibly just a placebo effect and in reality there might be absolutely no difference).

So again, I find video documentation much more effective, here's another video of how the H behaves now.
It's not a very well put together video; I just ran the "tests" on the go. Added a texbox with info:

Greetings!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval