Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

IPS mode flight test

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So, as I mentioned in a previous post I tested the IPS mode and recorded the experience to share it with all of you.

Who knows how many time I spent looking for something like this on the web to no avail.. I read several postings (not only on this particular forum) where people described how 'easy' it was to enter IPS mode, but some of them were inconsistent with one another, some guys added steps, some removed steps, some said jump 3 times and turn your head... It worked for some, it didn't for others... Nothing particularly clear, and the threads became confusing, clear for ones, impossible for others...

Some of the things that I concluded from this simple test are:

- Obviously you need to have RealSense module
- IPS manual activation was added on later FW updates, is not "native"
- The activation method definitely doesn't feel like an official mode (at least not yet) I believe it's just a debug mode to test it (meaning it's, hopefully, still being worked on)
- The aircraft's LED pattern is: Blinking purple with black and white flashes.
- Apparently once activated you can't "deactivate it" with the ST-16. You must reboot aircraft.
- Although the ST-16 shows GPS ready, Sat count and Coordinates, GPS assist is disabled.
- "Safety height" (how low the H goes with landing gear up) is significantly reduced, to about a foot from ground.
- IPS works, but is limited (specially under certain surfaces/light conditions). Consider it a mild assist, do not trust it blindly!

Any way, the reason I like videos is because they show a lot more than I can possibly try to describe on text, so here's the video of the tests I ran this morning. I hope you find it useful! :D:D

Greetings!

I read on a german forum "Kopter" that you needed to flick 2 switches to centre, left stick down and left and flick another switch 4 times quickly. Sounds similar to what you describe. But in german, parts got lost in translation....
Could you write instructions to activate the IPS?

I read on a german forum "Kopter" that you needed to flick 2 switches to centre, left stick down and left and flick another switch 4 times quickly. Sounds similar to what you describe. But in german, parts got lost in translation....
Could you write instructions to activate the IPS?
(a) Turn off GPS & Collision Avoidance after bootup.
(b) Left Stick Down & Left.
(c) Toggle the Mode Switch 4 times.
IPS ENGAGES AND IS LOCKED IN. GPS CANNOT RE- ENGAGE. THE SYSTEM CAN THEN REMAIN STABLE AND CONTROLLABLE UP TO A HEIGHT OF 10m. If you fly higher the H will drift.

TO REVERT BACK TO GPS POSITION HOLD YOU MUST LAND AND REBIND NORMALLY.
When you toggle the Mode switch up/down 4 times it LOCKS the IPS System ON.

(a) Turn off GPS & Collision Avoidance after bootup.
(b) Left Stick Down & Left.
(c) Toggle the Mode Switch 4 times.
IPS ENGAGES AND IS LOCKED IN. GPS CANNOT RE- ENGAGE. THE SYSTEM CAN THEN REMAIN STABLE AND CONTROLLABLE UP TO A HEIGHT OF 10m. If you fly higher the H will drift.

TO REVERT BACK TO GPS POSITION HOLD YOU MUST LAND AND REBIND NORMALLY.
When you toggle the Mode switch up/down 4 times it LOCKS the IPS System ON.

wow I am continuing to read and learn. I like to keep it simple, but you guys are like way over my head.
there sure is much to learn about the typhoon h. Some people are not Tech gurus like Steve and jules.
Keith Kuhn

Thanks for this. I couldn't tell from your video:
Did you full Left Stick down and H auto stopped before hitting the ground?

Don

@Rob Cooper:

1. start h and st16 as usual

2. put OBS switch and flightmode switch in middle position

3. left stick down and left and hold it there

4. flick the flight mode switch several times (4x) through all the available positions (maintaining left stick in left low corner)

The H will beep , IPS is turned on. You can turn off GPS, not necessary though.

Take off, raise landing gear and you will see IPS on the display in stead of Angle.

The H will be very stable in the air, indoors as well as outside. I have not tested up to which altitude this works. “

is what the german post says...

Thanks for this. I couldn't tell from your video:
Did you full Left Stick down and H auto stopped before hitting the ground?

Don

Hello Don, I did full Left Stick down to land, but the H did not automatically stop. I manually turned off the motors with the red button.

Greetings!

Last edited:
Interesting. This stick position, switch flipping process is the same method used for the old Chroma to enter Agility mode.

Hi JulesTEO, what I meant was... you're video shows the H pretty close to the ground. Did you just set the height once in IPS mode and it kept from bumping the ground automatically during the low flight there. Thanks

Don

Hi JulesTEO, what I meant was... you're video shows the H pretty close to the ground. Did you just set the height once in IPS mode and it kept from bumping the ground automatically during the low flight there. Thanks

Don

Oh ok. In this test the "safety height" from the bottom sonar sensor was much lower by itself; while in IPS mode, with the landing gear up I just kept descending until it would no longer go any lower.

Terrain was mostly even, so I don't really know if it will rise automatixally if it detects a rise on the terrain so be careful to avoid hitting the camera.

Greetings

Oh ok. In this test the "safety height" from the bottom sonar sensor was much lower by itself; while in IPS mode, with the landing gear up I just kept descending until it would no longer go any lower.

Terrain was mostly even, so I don't really know if it will rise automatixally if it detects a rise on the terrain so be careful to avoid hitting the camera.

Greetings

Rock on Jules you are one of the best. You are like a surgeon.
Keith Kuhn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal