Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flight four.........CRASH

Sorry, Jimmy I dont agree. The first dumbass that flies his own drone into his own face will be a lawsuit. One which, even if Yuneec wins, will up operating costs, and thus retail costs. I mean we live in a society where you have to put a warning lable on an iron that says do not iron clothes while on body.

With safe mode on the aircraft at least Yuneec can come back and say hey feature was overridden by the pilot it's his own **** fault.

Besides, I am looking more for input on how to fix, not whom is to blame.

I don't agree with your statement if the pilot is dumb enough to fly in to him self he reaps his own rewards Yuneec can not be held responsible for any one person not flying in a safe manor Smart mode is more dangerous to the pilot because of that 26 foot radius it almost cost me my H on my first h flight lucky for me I am not new to flying and I was able to land safe Yuneec should really re think the 26 foot buffer make it 10 or 5 feet would be better or get rid of it all together yuneec can't be the guardian of all pilots that may operate in a unsafe or bone head manor and operate any old way they want regardless of the FAA rules

John K. Fitzgerald I think those are good solutions.
It would make the product safe and easier to learn. Less problems for Yuneec and less unhappy customers even if it was pilot error it can be prevented by software.
If those precautions were in place I think it would save many people form getting frustrated. I agree that you cannot make everything idiot proof but we are only human and we do make mistakes.

Agreed, I never use safe mode myself, but have on a few occasions switched into it without realizing it. #1 I never launch closer than about 30 ft anyway, that gives me time to react if anything goes wrong. #2 these things are very computerized and wireless and therefore cannot be trusted, I have been in the electronics biz my entire life and have seen some pretty bizarre stuff. The best advice I can give for the "circle of death issue" is to stay back at least 30 feet before launch, if for whatever reason it comes at you, you'll have that much more time to get out of the way.

And for those people who keep saying read the manual, that's great but even Yuneecs most comprehensive manual isnt all that detailed, I learned about the circle of death after coming across a youtube video. I didnt find anything in the "manual" that covered that. all it says is stay behind the H approx. 26', it doesnt tell you why.

But again, it seems like a doable fix, if it knows where the controller is, then they should be able to make it so it doesnt launch at all, or holds steady until the controller is at the proper distance.

And no, nothing will ever be idiot proof, I have found that human ignorance knows no limits. as soon as some stupid kid finds a way to kill himself with a spoon , the rest of will be eating off of rubber silverware. But it doesnt hurt to make things as "safe" as possible if the means exist. :)

Did anyone help you out with this? Have you been able to get your camera to work? From my experience the camera would take a tank to kill it, so it's most likely a loose connection being your problem.

This also happened to my camera after a crash, turns out it blew a fuse mounted on the power distribution board. Its not easy to repair as it is an SMD fuse, I replaced the whole power dist. board.

Greetings!

Prop guards might not be the total answer but they certainly can help, especially with beginners like myself. Vertigo drones has a propeller protection kit, installed it on mine from the get-go. Might be considered similar to training wheels but I have a higher comfort level with them on. Only downside is you can't fold the drone up and put back into the carrying case without removing the guards. In the spirit of full disclosure I do not work for Vertigo, am just a satisfied customer. The guards are less than $30 and they've already save me from prop damage.

Beginners should not buy an H as a first multirotor. Doing that is kind of like giving a 16 year old a Ferrari for their first car. The only thing assured is they will wreck it. Same with an H. Newbies all try to do too much, too fast, before they understand what they are working with. A $40.00-$70.00 toy to crash while learning to fly makes a **** of a lot more sense than learning on something that costs more per hour in labor rate to fix.

As for staying 26' away from the H when operating in Safe mode, what part if that is hard to understand? Those that comply won't have a problem. The internet is chock full of the reasons to maintain that distance and to think people don't look stuff up on the internet when their curiosity is aroused is not believable. The Safe circle has been employed since the Q series and Chroma aircraft so there's no lack of publicly available info about it. There does seem to be a shortage of people that refuse to admit they make mistakes though.

Reactions: JulesTEO
Hate to say it, but smart mode does not work like that. Has anyone actually tried either taking off, or switching to smart mode in flight within the smart mode circle? I have and it does not fly out of control for the safety limit, it only engages once you are outside of it.

I did this just today while testing a replacement ST-16+ (by the way the ST-16+ with three antennas is so much better than the original ST-16), I was also testing a battery and had the Typhoon H in a low hover about 8 feet from me. I switched from angle mode to smart mode and it just stayed where it was. I'm really intrigued as people post about this all the time and I have never been able to recreate the issue.

Yep I'm with you sdharris. I have flipped it on and walked right under it and it just sat there. The only time I've seen it take off like a bat out of he'll is in journey mode.

Reactions: sdharris
I had an issue (induced by me) once with a Chroma in Smart mode. I forgot (my fault) It was in Smart mode and tried walking up to it at low altitude. Because it kept going away from me I started inputing controls to bring it back while continuing to walk up to it. It finally went sideways, still in an "away" direction and impacted a bush. It did what it was supposed to do. The only item that didn't was me.

Reactions: John K. Fitzgerald
Copy that: Color me lazy then.

I ALMOST crashed mine by being in unknowingly in SAFE notequalto SMART mode. Hovered to waist height and stick inputs started driving the H right toward my grill. Caught it in time. Whew.-
Remember, in "Smart" mode, the directional controls (right stick) behave differently than in Angle mode. Read that again, slowly. In "Smart" mode, the right stick causes the bird to move relative to the operator rather than relative to the bird. That caught me by surprise one time when the switch was accidentally in the wrong mode. No harm was done as I figured out what was happening in time. But it scared me enough that I have wedged a little bit of rubber into the upper gap of the switch so that I cannot make that mistake again. I don't have any use for "Smart" mode anyway.

Hate to say it, but smart mode does not work like that. Has anyone actually tried either taking off, or switching to smart mode in flight within the smart mode circle? I have and it does not fly out of control for the safety limit, it only engages once you are outside of it.

I did this just today while testing a replacement ST-16+ (by the way the ST-16+ with three antennas is so much better than the original ST-16), I was also testing a battery and had the Typhoon H in a low hover about 8 feet from me. I switched from angle mode to smart mode and it just stayed where it was. I'm really intrigued as people post about this all the time and I have never been able to recreate the issue.

I upgraded to the H from AEE AP10 and before I upgraded my firmware I took the h to a wide open dry lake bed here in Vegas
I started my flight in smart mode and at first every thing was normal and smooth I brought it in closer to me and it got extremely erratic it was hard to control how ever I did manage to land safely and it has also been the first and last flight in smart mode and I will not use smart mode again unless i am on a long range flight and even then i will think twice about smart mode

Donald Miller

I upgraded to the H from AEE AP10 and before I upgraded my firmware I took the h to a wide open dry lake bed here in Vegas
I started my flight in smart mode and at first every thing was normal and smooth I brought it in closer to me and it got extremely erratic it was hard to control how ever I did manage to land safely and it has also been the first and last flight in smart mode and I will not use smart mode again unless i am on a long range flight and even then i will think twice about smart mode

Donald Miller

To be honest I'm not quite sure whether your experience above agrees, disagrees or not like for like. My point was that smart mode will not cause the Typhoon H to suddenly shoot off in a random direction if you happen to start your flight in smart mode and be too close to the craft. You said it started OK and everything was fine, which supports my comment, but you did not say how close the craft was. You then brought it closer to you, not sure if it was already in the circle or not, but that it got became erratic.

Perhaps it became erratic as it was outside, then you bought it back in, it hit the safety circle and then left caused it to rotate around you counter clockwise, and right caused it rotate around you clockwise as that can sometimes be confusing.

I don't use smart mode that much, but when I do I find it very useful. Sorry if I misunderstood something in your post.

To be honest I'm not quite sure whether your experience above agrees, disagrees or not like for like. My point was that smart mode will not cause the Typhoon H to suddenly shoot off in a random direction if you happen to start your flight in smart mode and be too close to the craft. You said it started OK and everything was fine, which supports my comment, but you did not say how close the craft was. You then brought it closer to you, not sure if it was already in the circle or not, but that it got became erratic.

Perhaps it became erratic as it was outside, then you bought it back in, it hit the safety circle and then left caused it to rotate around you counter clockwise, and right caused it rotate around you clockwise as that can sometimes be confusing.

I don't use smart mode that much, but when I do I find it very useful. Sorry if I misunderstood something in your post.

My intentions here is not to confuse but to share my Typhoon H experience with smart mode pilots should know if you are in smart mode to pay attention to the fact if your too close you can get erratic flight it happened to me now it is possible I started inside the 26 foot circle and then flew out beyond the safety circle and flew back regardless how it happened it did happen and H pilots should be a ware it can happen my self headless mode should stay on the toy grade systems and not on a professional consumer system I get the idea behind it but you cant dummy proof the dummy any one not flying in a safe manor has no businesses flying at the very least get rid of the safety circle this is my opinion agree or don't agree I go of my flying experiences s we all do

Donald

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval