Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Fly away, log file and Yuneec's incompetence/bad faith

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am totally pissed with Yuneec's customer service - or lack thereof. I experienced a fly away last month. and haven't been able to recover the drone. Shortly after I sent the log files I could locate on the remote to Yuneec. They said they needed the RC to make sure the files had not been manipulated. Ok, fair enough, even if they could have started looking at the files before receiving the RC. Now, they received the RC three weeks ago but nothing happened. They claim to have no "tool" to analyse the data coming from the ST16S. Even worse, they "wonder" how I could retrieve the log data. Very simple, I replied, I used the android file explorer and navigated to the Flight2Log directory. But they claim it is anyway impossible to find GPS coordinates in the RC log, even though the data looks like this

,fskRssi,voltage,current,altitude,latitude,longitude,tas,gpsUsed,fixType,satellitesNum,roll,yaw,pitch,motorStatus,imuStatus,gpsStatus,cgpsStatus,pressCompassStatus,fMode,gpsPosUsed,vehicleType,errorFlags1,gpsAccH,vSpeed,hSpeed
20180818 18:17:48:421,-91,14.3,14.0,4.83,67.10671,-50.18795,8.67467,true,0,20,0.0,90.0,0.0,255,245,1,3,255,13,false,5,0,0.0,-0.77,8.640429
20180818 18:17:51:791,-90,14.3,14.0,3.12,67.10658,-50.188305,8.639508,true,0,20,0.0,90.0,0.0,255,245,1,3,255,13,false,5,0,0.0,-0.75,8.606893

And there are more files, containing the input of the various channels, etc. So, to me, it is pretty obvious that one can indeed come to a conclusion as to whether there was a malfunction or not. If it was pilot error, which I don't believe, I'd like them to explain to me how they come to this conclusion instead of making a series of inconsistent, nonsensical claims about which type of data is available or is not.

If anybody here has some knowledge of what the various flags mean, I would be very grateful and would be happy to send the complete logs of the ill-fated flight.

Best,
David

Steve Carr is the log boy. One thing that's come to my attention is the lack of responsibility of workers presently. I'd try to get to a tech supervisor and name the tech that gave you this load of BS. They should be able to get to any log file as its their own software.

I had the same issues when I sent my 480 in for repairs. They lost the files that I emailed in and the log files that were associated with my H showed that it was a Q. They didn't even bother to take the log files off of the 480 sitting in front of them. It's a complete lack of pride and responsibility.

Thanks for your reply. I guess you were in touch with the US customer service. I am in Germany but sadly that doesn't seem to be much different on either side of the Atlantic.

Reactions: thoneter
I received my replacement drone from Yuneec USA 2 days ago after only 3 weeks from my flyaway issue. They replaced my drone after receiving my telemetry files, and they only required my sts16 telemetry files before immediately stating they were going to replace it.

I hope you get your situation resolved quickly.

*From your statement, you were able to locate your drone and provide it to Yuneec for analysis?

I think yuneec has a “ tech” person that is not experienced at all with any drone. I hate to say it.
Although I have had good experiences with yuneec , it has been awhile. I have read about some other bad experiences recently people had with reading telemetry. They also had bad things to say about the experienced people here. Let some of the top guys here help you read your files before you continue with yuneec. This will give you more ammunition.

I received my replacement drone from Yuneec USA 2 days ago after only 3 weeks from my flyaway issue. They replaced my drone after receiving my telemetry files, and they only required my sts16 telemetry files before immediately stating they were going to replace it.

*From your statement, you were able to locate your drone and provide it to Yuneec for analysis?

No, unfortunately, I couldn't recover the drone but the point is that there is plenty of telemetry data stored in the remote.

I have heard from some discussions with service in Kaltenkirchen. Sometimes they claim, it is a pilot error or compass calibration thing, but it isn't. Sometimes they have sent a new copter to the user, where it clearly was a beginners error. Looks like some gamble.

Can you show us the Flight2Logs from this fly-away? I mean Telemetry, remote, remoteGPS and Sensor files. The numbering of sensor files does not match to the other files. Assignement needs to be done by file time.
Einfach als zip Datei...

Gruß HE

Reactions: oliver
Hello all,

I am totally pissed with Yuneec's customer service - or lack thereof. I experienced a fly away last month. and haven't been able to recover the drone. Shortly after I sent the log files I could locate on the remote to Yuneec. They said they needed the RC to make sure the files had not been manipulated. Ok, fair enough, even if they could have started looking at the files before receiving the RC. Now, they received the RC three weeks ago but nothing happened. They claim to have no "tool" to analyse the data coming from the ST16S. Even worse, they "wonder" how I could retrieve the log data. Very simple, I replied, I used the android file explorer and navigated to the Flight2Log directory. But they claim it is anyway impossible to find GPS coordinates in the RC log, even though the data looks like this

,fskRssi,voltage,current,altitude,latitude,longitude,tas,gpsUsed,fixType,satellitesNum,roll,yaw,pitch,motorStatus,imuStatus,gpsStatus,cgpsStatus,pressCompassStatus,fMode,gpsPosUsed,vehicleType,errorFlags1,gpsAccH,vSpeed,hSpeed
20180818 18:17:48:421,-91,14.3,14.0,4.83,67.10671,-50.18795,8.67467,true,0,20,0.0,90.0,0.0,255,245,1,3,255,13,false,5,0,0.0,-0.77,8.640429
20180818 18:17:51:791,-90,14.3,14.0,3.12,67.10658,-50.188305,8.639508,true,0,20,0.0,90.0,0.0,255,245,1,3,255,13,false,5,0,0.0,-0.75,8.606893

And there are more files, containing the input of the various channels, etc. So, to me, it is pretty obvious that one can indeed come to a conclusion as to whether there was a malfunction or not. If it was pilot error, which I don't believe, I'd like them to explain to me how they come to this conclusion instead of making a series of inconsistent, nonsensical claims about which type of data is available or is not.

If anybody here has some knowledge of what the various flags mean, I would be very grateful and would be happy to send the complete logs of the ill-fated flight.

Best,
David

It is a shame you didn’t share your log files on the forum before sending everything to Yuneec. We have provided good advice to many , before they contacted Yuneec. Don’t let them scam you about the telemetry files, they are readable and why would they use them for warranty claims if they weren’t.

Hopefully you have the complete set of data from the Flight2Log directory. Zip it and upload here using the attach files button.

Reactions: record.play.rewind
Once plotted out on a line graph, the events become quite visible and easy to follow. They also become very difficult to deny as the plot depicts each line item as they were recorded by the system at a frequency of 20hZ.

Hi Patrick and others,

The problem is that I am based in Europe so I am dealing - or rather was dealing with Yuneec Germany.

I am using the past tense because after claiming yesterday that they had no tool to extract the log data from the remote, they have miraculously performed the analysis overnight and found no problem with the product so as far as they are concerned the case is closed. There is no mention of whether they intend to return the remote (which remains my property) to myself or not. They say that I am welcome to contact them if I find the drone. Given that I told them the drone was lost in Greenland and that we couldn't locate it despite great efforts, involving crossing a river with a boat, that amounts to nothing else than a "go [f-word] yourself". It is absolutely unbelievable.

Even though this particular drone was purchased from a generic online shop, I asked the German dealer from whom I got my H520 (who is a Yuneec commercial partner) if they could get in touch with somebody else than these morons. But frankly, I think I am done with this brand. I bought 4 of their copters in the last 6 month and I have to hear lie upon lie upon lie from people who cannot even open a folder in an Android file explorer.

Sorry, I had not seen some of your recent messages. Sure, I am gonna share the files in the next minutes.

So here it is. I kept only the files of the day. There was a first flight on the same day that went very well. The final, ill-fated flight spans the last three files in the telemetry folder, 115, 116 and 117 as radio contact was interrupted twice. I kept a few files in the sensor folder, as I have no idea what format is used and to which flights these files correspond.

I panicked as I couldn't control the copter so I probably made some mistakes also, but what I can tell from the log is that around the end of the flight, the copter was still going in the opposite direction even though it was in fMode 13, which seems to indicate the RTH mode. When the battery was very low it was automatically descending but still doing some kind of loop shortly before radio contact was definitely lost.

Again I do not have any strong opinion about what happened but I was expecting Yuneec to come up with an explanation, at least if they believe I am the only one to blame.

I also attached the flight path mapped in google earth based on the GPS coordinates I could get from the telemetry files. It starts with the red one and ends with the blue. My intention was to do a very short flight, mainly to gain altitude in the immediate vicinity of my position, with just enough horizontal distance so as not to be hit by the falling drone if something went wrong. Instead, it went some 2km away.

Attachments

• Flight2Log.zip
    766.1 KB · Views: 15
  • flyway_googlemap.png
    flyway_googlemap.png
    780.4 KB · Views: 66
Hi Patrick and others,

The problem is that I am based in Europe so I am dealing - or rather was dealing with Yuneec Germany.

I am using the past tense because after claiming yesterday that they had no tool to extract the log data from the remote, they have miraculously performed the analysis overnight and found no problem with the product so as far as they are concerned the case is closed. There is no mention of whether they intend to return the remote (which remains my property) to myself or not. They say that I am welcome to contact them if I find the drone. Given that I told them the drone was lost in Greenland and that we couldn't locate it despite great efforts, involving crossing a river with a boat, that amounts to nothing else than a "go [f-word] yourself". It is absolutely unbelievable.

Even though this particular drone was purchased from a generic online shop, I asked the German dealer from whom I got my H520 (who is a Yuneec commercial partner) if they could get in touch with somebody else than these morons. But frankly, I think I am done with this brand. I bought 4 of their copters in the last 6 month and I have to hear lie upon lie upon lie from people who cannot even open a folder in an Android file explorer.

Man! They should just upload the cvs telemetry files in Google Earth.

I’ll give a look at the telemetry later today. Sorry for the delay.

I’ll give a look at the telemetry later today. Sorry for the delay.
Your help will be much appreciated and you certainly do not have to apologize for being "late" at doing the work that Yuneec employees vehemently refuse to do!

No he stated that he was not able to recover the drone.

Your 00114 File has an entry and an exit, and it looks to be a normal flight pattern, but I cannot understand are your other files. It seemed to be that each flight the craft has gone through a power sequence and each has a different starting points, but I can't judge, I wasn't there.. Below are the files, and if I can do this in 30min. Then Yuneec CS is a bit slow.

Attachments

• overview.png
    overview.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 00114.png
    00114.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 00115.png
    00115.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 36
  • 00116.png
    00116.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 00117.png
    00117.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 35
Thanks,yes 114 was a normal flight that took place a little before the fatal flight. As for 115,116,117 they are not separate flights, it's just that radio contact was lost in between and apparently when that happens, a new file is created when contact is restored. Are you able to "decode" the stick input? My understanding is that in the last part of the flight RTH was activated but the craft was still not heading to the remote.

What is Yuneec CS?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig