Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

flying the typhoon H down into a quarry hole

Reaction score
Does anyone think that flying the typhoon H down into a large Quarry cause any problems since you're flying it down and not up ?
Such as loss of communication between the st16 and the Drone.
Thanks
Keith Kuhn

Depends... what kind of quarry? If it was an iron ore quarry, you might encounter potential compass issues.

Stone quarries are not usually a problem. Not really any different than flying below the top of a cliff. Just make sure the -16 can always”see” the H.

Reactions: AJan
Depends... what kind of quarry? If it was an iron ore quarry, you might encounter potential compass issues.
Stone quarries are not usually a problem. Not really any different than flying below the top of a cliff. Just make sure the -16 can always”see” the H.

Thanks you guys this is actually a Sandstone Quarry.
also I guess it's best to keep the antennas especially the center one on the st16 pointed at the Drone is that correct ?
Keith

Keith.
The TH has no problem with flying at negative heights. I live in a hilly area and I quite often find myself flying in places that are lower than my take-off height.

A Sandstone quarry will give no issues.

A couple of points:
The antenna on the aircraft are positioned to give best performance when the aircraft is higher than you so you won't get as good range that you normally get in a 'normal' flight.

Depth perception is more difficult when the aircraft is below you. You could be flying much more closer to objects or the ground than you think you are so you gotta be careful in that respect.

My experience is that when descending to go below your take-off height is that as the aircraft gets near to the height that it 'thinks' the ground is that it's rate of descent slows down, then picks up again once it has gone into negative height. This can take you by surprise if you aren't ready for it.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
The depth perception is the challenge for sure. Consider putting some strobes on the top of the rear booms with a little hobby tape so you can keep oriented. You won’t see your tail status light so take a spotter and be deliberate in your decisions. It’s very hard to go the distance as the ST view vs your view is hard to reconcile. You will always visually think you have gone further and later watching video playback realize it wasn’t as far as you thought.

With a spotter, you can fly via the monitor while they keep VLOS and watch out for problems.

Keith.
The TH has no problem with flying at negative heights. I live in a hilly area and I quite often find myself flying in places that are lower than my take-off height.

A Sandstone quarry will give no issues.

A couple of points:
The antenna on the aircraft are positioned to give best performance when the aircraft is higher than you so you won't get as good range that you normally get in a 'normal' flight.

Depth perception is more difficult when the aircraft is below you. You could be flying much more closer to objects or the ground than you think you are so you gotta be careful in that respect.

My experience is that when descending to go below your take-off height is that as the aircraft gets near to the height that it 'thinks' the ground is that it's rate of descent slows down, then picks up again once it has gone into negative height. This can take you by surprise if you aren't ready for it.

Thanks so much flush I only plan on descending perhaps halfway down into the Quarry hole as you say only with great caution..
As this typhoon H is now out of warranty I have to be extra extra careful. One more thing I have the three antennas on my st16 controller.
the center antenna is a square one plus I also have a round one for it.
could you please tell me the difference between the two antennas round versus the square or mushroom versus the square one.
Thanks Keith Kuhn

The depth perception is the challenge for sure. Consider putting some strobes on the top of the rear booms with a little hobby tape so you can keep oriented. You won’t see your tail status light so take a spotter and be deliberate in your decisions. It’s very hard to go the distance as the ST view vs your view is hard to reconcile. You will always visually think you have gone further and later watching video playback realize it wasn’t as far as you thought.

With a spotter, you can fly via the monitor while they keep VLOS and watch out for problems.

thanks again to all who have answered my post.
typhoon H I am flying also has realsense. but even with that I must be very careful due to the fact that this typhoon H is no longer under warranty. You guys all rock.
Keith Kuhn

Thanks so much flush I only plan on descending perhaps halfway down into the Quarry hole as you say only with great caution..
As this typhoon H is now out of warranty I have to be extra extra careful. One more thing I have the three antennas on my st16 controller.
could you please tell me the difference between the two antennas round versus the square or mushroom versus the square one.
Thanks Keith Kuhn
The patch antenna (the one with the flat face) is highly directional and you must keep the flat surface pointed towards the aircraft at all times to avoid the video dropping out. The mushroom antenna isn't directional in the same way. You don't get as good a video range with the mushroom antenna as you do with the patch but at the same time you don't need to be as careful with the orientation. Incidentally, I always use the mushroom antenna.

The patch antenna (the one with the flat face) is highly directional and you must keep the flat surface pointed towards the aircraft at all times to avoid the video dropping out. The mushroom antenna isn't directional in the same way. You don't get as good a video range with the mushroom antenna as you do with the patch but at the same time you don't need to be as careful with the orientation. Incidentally, I always use the mushroom antenna.

Thanks I will be switching back to the mushroom antenna now.
I did purchase another antenna one time but I went and sold it. It what is the Hela coil type one I just don't remember the name of it, I will have to Google it and send you the name of it you may already know the name of it.
Keith

Thanks Keith Kuhn

FPVLR. is the antenna I was trying to remember what is your take on it

FPVLR. is the antenna I was trying to remember what is your take on it
Never used it. I always use the stock antennas since I've never had a problem with signals given the ranges I work with...always in LOS. However, there is an argument to use aftermarket antennas even if you don't fly too far away. The argument is that you do have a stronger link to combat any interference through Wi-Fi sources and such like, and so lessen the chances of a break in transmission which can occur even at shorter distances (less than 200m).

Thanks Keith Kuhn

Keith,

I am slightly troubled by your repeated “this one is out of warranty so I have to be extra careful.” What does warranty coverage have to do with anything?

Either a flight plan is safe or it is not. If not, how is a warranty going to help, especially if it is determined pilot error or bad flight plan as the cause of any mishap?

Always fly as though any mishap will be out of your pocket. Don’t expect someone else to pay for personal missteps. The ability to afford the risks, or better yet mitigate potential risks, is every pilot’s responsibility.

Good luck!

Jeff

Never used it. I always use the stock antennas since I've never had a problem with signals given the ranges I work with...always in LOS. However, there is an argument to use aftermarket antennas even if you don't fly too far away. The argument is that you do have a stronger link to combat any interference through Wi-Fi sources and such like, and so lessen the chances of a break in transmission which can occur even at shorter distances (less than 200m).

I am amazed at how you know all this stuff. you are right LOS is always best. many of us have to learn the hard way. I stated before sometimes we are never happy. If it goes 800 feet you want 1200 feet if it goes 1200 feet what 2,000 feet. the reason I purchased the typhoon H because it has 6 rotors plus it has its own controller no need for cell phone. . When I first bought one a few years back I was like a lot of people I wanted further further and further. How stupid I am and was. so now that my two typhoon Hs are out of warranty. I hope I have learned all my lessons. But my gut feeling is something sometime will go wrong again. Murphy's Law I guess
. Keith

Keith,

I am slightly troubled by your repeated “this one is out of warranty so I have to be extra careful.” What does warranty coverage have to do with anything?

Either a flight plan is safe or it is not. If not, how is a warranty going to help, especially if it is determined pilot error or bad flight plan as the cause of any mishap?

Always fly as though any mishap will be out of your pocket. Don’t expect someone else to pay for personal missteps. The ability to afford the risks, or better yet mitigate potential risks, is every pilot’s responsibility.

Good luck!

Jeff

I had a fly away of one of my typhoon H drones. Thst particular drone was under warranty.
Yuneec determined it was not pilot error. so therefore they are replacing that phone and another one is on its way to my house, due to the fact that it was under warranty.
I hope that explains it more clearly to you.
Keith Kuhn

Keith,

Good luck!

Jeff

I am basically saying once this one arrives at my doorstep.
within two weeks the one-year warranty will be over with.
so this is why I keep saying I have to be extra careful with them. Because none of us need mishaps.
Keith Kuhn

Keith.
I'm flying my TH now in exactly the same way as I did when it was new and under warranty. The fact that my aircraft is now loooong out of warranty makes no difference to how I fly it. I took great care of my aircraft and my flying style when it was new just the same as I do now. If it does crash then it will do so under circumstances where I have done my best to avoid that occurrence.

Keith.
I'm flying my TH now in exactly the same way as I did when it was new and under warranty. The fact that my aircraft is now loooong out of warranty makes no difference to how I fly it. I took great care of my aircraft and my flying style when it was new just the same as I do now. If it does crash then it will do so under circumstances where I have done my best to avoid that occurrence.

I hear you buddy I hear you

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval