Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Freewell ND Filters for H Plus

Interesting. Now that I re-read their email to me, I think they said the same thing. If there is any way you could get a micrometer reading for the threads on the C23, that would be a critical measurement. If the filters I ordered don't fit, I'll likely be in the same boat as far as returning them at my own cost.
I tried to explain that to Freewell that maybe they should put on their website that there maybe a problem with the H-Plus but they did not seem to think that was their problem or responsibility to do so.Now i have filters that dont fit and will cost me 35.00 shipping back to them to get my 150 back. Heckt of a deal.

I tried to explain that to Freewell that maybe they should put on their website that there maybe a problem with the H-Plus but they did not seem to think that was their problem or responsibility to do so.

Yeah, my conversations with Freewell have been odd as well. They said they asked Yuneec about thread size for H Plus filters, but said Yuneec never responded. I got the idea that they didn't keep asking. I can't imagine a company providing filter threads for one for their cameras, but not specifying the size, especially when a filter supplier wants to support the camera. I'm really curious what sort of reply Yuneec will have to my support case.

Reactions: EastsideDronehead55
At this point we need accurate measurements to determine where the issue is. That or we need to compare components side by side.

As an example; @EastsideDronehead55 said. . . .

There is nothing on my camera body after i take the clear glass filter that came with the camera off. The ring that came extra with the camera does not work either.

So, In his case the clear lens protector does fit, but the adapter ring does not??? Both are from Yuneec, something is odd here.

I ordered the filter set for the H520/E90 filters from Amazon for $99. They fit perfectly, however I did have a quality issue with one them. After contact Freewell, was told the replacement was out of stock. It would be a couple of weeks before they could get me one.
Long story short. Being impatient, I tried different solutions, some of which included using the adapter ring and regular photo filters, I never found a solution I liked (balance concerns with 40.5mm filters), I returned the set to Amazon because of the quality issue. Needless to say, the CS rep I’d been working with from Freewell, has not stopped badgering me in emails for returning a defective product.
Even if Freewell filters were my only option, I’m not sure I’d use them (ok, I probably would). You get my point. Their CS is terrible IMO.

To the OP, the Freewell H520/E90 filters work as expected on the H+/C23 as it’s the same camera/hardware on both, with different software.

It is more likely that Freewell is supplying two different sizes rather than Yuneec. It appears the E90 and C23 are basically the same camera. Supplying two different lens bodies would cost Yuneec more in replacement parts inventory.

At this point we need accurate measurements to determine where the issue is. That or we need to compare components side by side.

As an example; @EastsideDronehead55 said. . . .

So, In his case the clear lens protector does fit, but the adapter ring does not??? Both are from Yuneec, something is odd here.
Incorrect. Both rings from
It is more likely that Freewell is supplying two different sizes rather than Yuneec. It appears the E90 and C23 are basically the same camera. Supplying two different lens bodies would cost Yuneec more in replacement parts inventory.
Steve , now Freewell is telling me that they have had these issues in EUROPE but I am the first in the U S that they know of . They want me to send them a short video of me trying to fit the filter to the camera . I don’t know what they think I am going to gain by the filters not fitting ! Just want what I paid for and move on .

Incorrect. Both rings from. . .

What is incorrect? In post 18 you said that after removing the clear lens that comes with the camera - which; indicates it does or did fit, and then say the adapter does not fit. So all I was saying is something is odd

There is nothing on my camera body after i take the clear glass filter that came with the camera off. The ring that came extra with the camera does not work either . .

I will pickup a set of filters for the H520/E90 Friday and try to mount them on my H+ this weekend. So let’s see if I’m a happy camper of need a hug and a RMA [emoji41]

PS: I’m living in Europe

I will pickup a set of filters for the H520/E90 Friday and try to mount them on my H+ this weekend. So let’s see if I’m a happy camper of need a hug and a RMA [emoji41]

PS: I’m living in Europe

If you are getting them from a brick and mortar store, why not take the C23 with you to check... :)

Reactions: Steve Carr
I think others have pretty well established what the diameters of the actual lens, and lens adapters are for the E90/C23. The actual lens is smaller than the adapter but both lens and adapter sizes work when they are fitted appropriately.

From what I’ve been reading the issue appears to stem from the lens/ring size Freewell is shipping, and thus far I haven’t seen mention of that actual dimension. Most after market filter manufacturers emboss a little circle with a line dissecting it with a number on the side if the mounting ring, or at least print the filter size on the invoice. That circle and line along with the number is the diameter. I seriously doubt thread pitch is the issue as that’s pretty much standardized for the ring diameter.

So what is the actual size of the non fitting Freewell? If we aren’t communicating a dimension it’s pretty hard to fault an advertisement that simply states “will fit blah, blah, blah” without providing a dimension reference for verification. The camera owner has to know what they need before placing an order.

Last edited:
In looking at listings on eBay under the seller freewellgear, the photos of the filters only indicate the ND factor and the Freewell branding, and the video above confirms this... CPL is part of the All-Day pack.

[EDIT] Putting in direct link, as eBay is doing a re-direction from the Insert Link URL... copy and paste.

HTML:
https://www.ebay.com/i/263548786198

The listing below has a Freewell 67mm ND8 filter from Adorama Camera... however this is not a filter that is specific to one drone model, but a generic filter of that size.

Freewell 67mm ND8

I'm going to guess that none of Freewell's filters that are specific to individual drone models will have a mm size branded on the filter, even in the cases of a standard threaded size.

BTW, I do not believe for a second that the C23 is being released with different size fittings, as Steve Carr mentioned above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
Last edited:
None of my Freewell filters have a size marking which I found unusual.

I don't see a size marking on the C23 either, for that matter. That's just as surprising to me. Like others, I suspect Freewell's filter will be the issue, not the C23, but nothing will shock me at this point.

For comparison, if anyone else has calipers handy, I measured my filter mount diameter on the C23 and the inner diameter of their clear filter (don't know if it's UV or just clear glass).

C23 outer diameter, across the threads: 39.25 mm.
Clear filter inner diameter: 38.9 mm

In looking at listings on eBay under the seller freewellgear, the photos of the filters only indicate the ND factor and the Freewell branding, and the video above confirms this... CPL is part of the All-Day pack.

Freewell Yuneec 520 ND All Day Pack

The listing below has a Freewell 67mm ND8 filter from Adorama Camera... however this is not a filter that is specific to one drone model, but a generic filter of that size.

Freewell 67mm ND8

I'm going to guess that none of Freewell's filters that are specific to individual drone models will have a mm size branded on the filter, even in the cases of a standard threaded size.

BTW, I do not believe for a second that the C23 is being released with different size fittings, as Steve Carr mentioned above.

Correct, the Freewell filters for the E90 (C23) are non standard (or dedicated) in that they are female threaded for installation. Standard filters are male threaded for installation and are female threaded in the front to accept another filter for stacking which in the world of balanced 3 axis gimbals is not a route we want to take.

About the Freewell Filters. I purchased the 'Bright Day' pack, which has, in my estimation only one useful filter, that being the ND 16. However, there are times in bright sunshine when another half stop or so would be useful but the next filter in line is an ND32 which when I set the shutter speed correctly have raise the shutter speed to get a good exposure and while the picture is clean and no noise is evident, there is also the fact that there is a slight color shift in the white balance. While this can be addressed in post its the series of issues that have me rethinking filters for the C23.

Freewell deliberately, split the two most used filters into separate packs forcing us to buy the 8 filter pack to get an 8 and a 16.

So you can spend a lot of cash and get the Freewell set and four or five filters that are not likely to be used or, Just purchase a standard filter at 40.5mm that you need. In fact I have been looking at a few filter sets on amazon for under 20.00 bucks that give me the lower ND filters and a decent ND 16 at B&H and think I am going to give them a try.

Reactions: Steve Carr
What I find unusual is that the filter pack purchased through Amazon’s US website states that the standard 4 pack filter set for the E90/C23 is currently unavailable, and the Freewell website is also currently offline.

Hmmm...I don't like that. I reordered the filters and they took the funds from my PayPal account on Sunday 9/2. I haven't yet received any other information about my order. I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about this. I hope it's just a coincidence :confused:

What I find unusual is that the filter pack purchased through Amazon’s US website states that the standard 4 pack filter set for the E90/C23 is currently unavailable, and the Freewell website is also currently offline. The only thing I’m coming up with is a 3 pack of ND/CPL filters on Amazon for $129

https://smile.amazon.com/Freewell-N...95299&sr=8-1&keywords=Freewell+e90+filter+set
This is the set I bought. It's listed as E90, but of course it fits the C23

Freewell YUNEEC H520 E90 4K Series Standard Day Filter Set

To use different sized components would be totally inconsistent with how Yuneec has done most everything in the past. To reduce overhead costs they standardize parts across as many products as they can. Any differences between the E90 and C23 will only be in firmware.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss