Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Has anyone entered the Yuneec Typhoon H video contest?

Great work^^ Mind sharing what you used for your manual settings? The main reason I am asking is that I am having a heck of a time trying to find some good settings for the early morning sunrises and yours look pretty darn good in that clip.

Thanks! I use pretty much the same settings for all my shoots with the Typhoon H.

- AWB = SUNRISE/SUNSET
- ISO = 100
- MODE = Gorgeous
- SHUTTER SPEED = 600 to 1000 (the higher the number the darker you'll make the image). You can really effect how an image looks with this simple setting.

Other item I do often is film while flying in TURTLE MODE and make use of the 360 Gimbal on a very slow turn. If you have the gimbal turning while also turning the Typhoon in the same direction (such as pulling away from a shot), it gives a nice effect.

Last edited:
Many of us have taken some great video... Has anyone entered the ultimate 4,727.69€ Typhoon H video contest?

Quadcopters & Aerial Drones - Yuneec

I posted some footage taken in the Fall of low cloud cover (clip below). If anyone else has entered, post your video.

Hello CAPTAIN .
At the end of your video writing NO POST PRODUCTION ??
So....how can you fly so fast in TURTLE MODE . MYSTERY!!!!
I thing that in your first video for H you had said that writing in normal and editing at Davinci and you put the LUT. Am I wrong ?? Also you lock the AWB,
because SUNRISE/SUNSET is
excessive. What realy you do eventually. You got them confused ??????

More of the trains next time!
These trains in my town, is a museum for steam and diesel trains that no longer exist. Next video I'll do will be an aerial and terrestrial apparition with many trains ...

Hello CAPTAIN .
At the end of your video writing NO POST PRODUCTION ??
So....how can you fly so fast in TURTLE MODE . MYSTERY!!!!
I thing that in your first video for H you had said that writing in normal and editing at Davinci and you put the LUT. Am I wrong ?? Also you lock the AWB,
because SUNRISE/SUNSET is
excessive. What realy you do eventually. You got them confused ??????

Correct, no post production as in: No effects or color correction added.

I film 90% in Turtle Mode. I rarely ever film in Rabbit Mode. I do however place the control on the ST16 between Turtle Mode and Rabbit Mode when I need to move the drone quicker.... but never fully on Rabbit mode.

I don't bother with color correction or sharpening in Davinci Resolve because I like the image the CGO3+ produces with the settings I mentioned above. You would have to film in Natural mode if you wished to use a LUT.

Sunrise/sunset is the only WB that does not add too much red or blue to the image. Sunny and Cloudy are terrible.

Correct, no post production as in: No effects or color correction added.

I film 90% in Turtle Mode. I rarely ever film in Rabbit Mode. I do however place the control on the ST16 between Turtle Mode and Rabbit Mode when I need to move the drone quicker.... but never fully on Rabbit mode.

I don't bother with color correction or sharpening in Davinci Resolve because I like the image the CGO3+ produces with the settings I mentioned above. You would have to film in Natural mode if you wished to use a LUT.

Sunrise/sunset is the only WB that does not add too much red or blue to the image. Sunny and Cloudy are terrible.
My disagreement is in that you do not start by saying that every situation requires its own settings. The settings that you need filmmaker at that time and they naturally change and is affected by many things. A simple thing that I can tell you is that the sun in each country has a different angle and a different brightness even at noon. So, type prompts like shutter/ ISO/ WB, I think these not help them, confuse them more. And a comment if you allow me. Making use smaller over scenes and especially the rotation of the camera, because snagging makes the picture is frustrating.
Your clip is short and clever cover imperfect and I mean that your masters was a one battery and took advantage of the most.

I hope you win Capt. Drone. You videos are always great but if the prize is $5000 your contributions and helpful videos have been worth so much more than that sum. There is no telling how many people you have helped over time with your filmed instructions.

Call me a cheerleader, but I have always joined in with some of the other forum members who say that you should be on Yuneec's paid staff. Keep up the good work!

My comments are not meant to disparage some of you other artists who contribute great video. I am amazed at how good so many of the contributions are top notch.

Sarrantos,

What I see the Captain doing is providing examples of what can be done by people willing to "do their own thing". As you noted, lighting is different for different places, even during the same relative time of day.

So people cannot exactly copy what the Captain does, seeking the same end result. If you view his work more as a primer in how to use your equipment, and use his examples of settings as a demonstration for what can be done by people willing to explore their equipment the goals might become more apparent. It's not so much what his work looks like, but more about what each can do if, but only if, people are willing to learn what they can do with what they have.

Everyone with an H can produce good work, but they'll have to work at it to get there. Using the settings or techniques someone else does will not automatically provide great results but some of those settings make good reference points for others to use as a guide. The Captain is an accomplished photographer that knows what to do and is teaching others to find their creative side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you win Capt. Drone. You videos are always great but if the prize is $5000 your contributions and helpful videos have been worth so much more than that sum. There is no telling how many people you have helped over time with your filmed instructions.

Call me a cheerleader, but I have always joined in with some of the other forum members who say that you should be on Yuneec's paid staff. Keep up the good work!
Thank you very much for the kind words.

Like many of us on this forum, I really enjoy photography and drones. I'm by no means an expert on the Typhoon H and I continue to learn daily from other forum members. I do appreciate all the input from forum members.

Steve

Reactions: Tuna

Great video Capt! Question: Do you NEVER use Sunny or Cloudy WB? What if you are filming in the middle of the afternoon on a Sunny day. Do you still lock WB in on Sunrise/Sunset?

I basically just threw this together from my summer with the H.

If you search YouTube for "This video submitted as part of a contest sponsored by Yuneec International to highlight use of the Typhoon H product." you can see all of the entries into the contest. There is some really good videos but I think its funny that there are a few videos that are mostly filmed with go-pro's and one even shows someone with a white controller?!?!?!

Reactions: CAPTAINDRONE
Great video Capt! Question: Do you NEVER use Sunny or Cloudy WB? What if you are filming in the middle of the afternoon on a Sunny day. Do you still lock WB in on Sunrise/Sunset?

A long, long time ago when the early camera firmware had much poorer auto modes, I ran a test and Sunrise/Sunset has the most natural WB. Most of the other modes tend towards red/green, whereas sunrise/sunset tends slightly towards blue which looks better (GoPros and others typically go much more towards blue, so we're used to videos that have that sort of bright blue sky and slightly washed out vegetation). The auto modes have become a little more subtle since then, but I think it's still the case that sunrise/sunset produces the most consistently good results.

Reactions: CAPTAINDRONE
A long, long time ago when the early camera firmware had much poorer auto modes, I ran a test and Sunrise/Sunset has the most natural WB. Most of the other modes tend towards red/green, whereas sunrise/sunset tends slightly towards blue which looks better (GoPros and others typically go much more towards blue, so we're used to videos that have that sort of bright blue sky and slightly washed out vegetation). The auto modes have become a little more subtle since then, but I think it's still the case that sunrise/sunset produces the most consistently good results.

Interesting. Good to know. Many thanks as always. No more Sunny/Cloudy WB for me. ;)

Interesting as well. But can you confirm, Image Format: Natural Mode? Not Raw mode for applying LUT in post processing? (even though not technically raw mode as most would define it, but raw mode for yuneec)

Unfortunately I don't find the sunny or cloudy WB settings work for my needs so I never use them.

I do find that if you point the camera at an object and then select RESET CAMERA, the WB sometimes comes out correct & then you can just select the LOCK option.

For the majority of my video shoots I use SUNRISE/SUNSET if I can't dial in a better setting for WB.

Interesting. Good to know. Many thanks as always. No more Sunny/Cloudy WB for me. ;)

Interesting as well. But can you confirm, Image Format: Natural Mode? Not Raw mode for applying LUT in post processing? (even though not technically raw mode as most would define it, but raw mode for yuneec)

In my first video on Davinci Resolve I used a LUT in RAW mode so that I could show how a bland image could turn into something great.

My fav image mode for post production is the NATURAL mode. I don't use a LUT for Natural because I don't have one I like. For Natural I just manually adjust the Davinci settings depending on the video.

I found that Yuneec did some nice tweaking to the Gorgeous mode that I tend to use that often now and no longer post process. My videos are pretty much for YouTube so as long as they look good I'm happy. If I was making a video for a special event I would more than likely post process the image.

Perhaps in the near future I'll do a quick Davinci Resolve Post Processing video, showing all the settings I use, in Natural mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech