Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Help - Intelli Real sense is "seeing things" that are not there

Reaction score
Got a new problem with my H. I am noticing more and more the real sense module is reporting objects in front of it that are not there. I am talking even at 250 feet all of a sudden it registers an object in front of it at 2 meters or something. It's make the H go nuts in smart mode too.

I tried cleaning the 3 lens with the micro cloth that came with the H. Maybe that helped a little but its still doing it. Ugh. Any ideas. Can I clean it with something else maybe?

Got a new problem with my H. I am noticing more and more the real sense module is reporting objects in front of it that are not there. I am talking even at 250 feet all of a sudden it registers an object in front of it at 2 meters or something. It's make the H go nuts in smart mode too.

I tried cleaning the 3 lens with the micro cloth that came with the H. Maybe that helped a little but its still doing it. Ugh. Any ideas. Can I clean it with something else maybe?
It sounds like the module may have an issue. Try un-mounting it, then do a flight. Remount it and do another flight to see if it is corrected.

Make sure it's not facing towards the sun. I've noticed that this will scramble it's tiny brain every time, and cause it to hallucinate. It doesn't have to even be directly towards the sun - just in the general direction is all that it needs to believe there's something there.

Make sure it's not facing towards the sun. I've noticed that this will scramble it's tiny brain every time, and cause it to hallucinate. It doesn't have to even be directly towards the sun - just in the general direction is all that it needs to believe there's something there.
What are you basing this on? Is this something that happens to yours? I would think if that is also the case with yours, then there is an issue with both of yours. I honestly can't see that being the reason why it is doing it or there would be hundreds of H users that would have reported the same problem world wide.

I have had it happen a couple of times. However, it only happens within a very small angle of Sun rays, not the "general direction".
I missed that "general direction" sentence.

To truly understand how it works, go to the link provided.

“Outside, the range is not limited by the small [infrared] flashlight on the module, because it can use the [infrared] light from the sun to see farther,” explains Grunnet-Jepsen. “However, at shorter ranges — less than 12 feet — it actually performs better indoors than outdoors because that pattern it projects helps the stereo matching and depth measurements.”
~Grunnet-Jepsen
Making Sense of Intel's RealSense

I have followed Intel and their RealSense development for several years now. I am familiar with the hardware and software.
Beyond that, 2 of my THs have RS, and I have many hours of actual RS experience on the Typhoon H.

It is a fact, and others have also reported, that at certain angles facing a low Sun, the module will give a false reading, and start beeping. Change the angle and the beeping goes away. @MrChoke may have an entirely different problem, a module sensor misalignment for example.

Since I'm not physically on or in the H when it happens, all I can accurately report is that it only happens when facing the general direction of the sun. Knowing how the RealSense module works, it was a quick and obvious determination while flying that the reason for it had something to do with the RS sensors facing the sun, especially since I fly visual line-of-sight and noticed there was nothing but air in front of the aircraft. And yes, I've only noticed this behavior in the evening when the sun is lower on the horizon.
Bottom line... when it does this, and then I turn away from the sun, it no longer does this. Seems a pretty safe bet it has something to do with being in the general direction of the sun.

Since I'm not physically on or in the H when it happens, all I can accurately report is that it only happens when facing the general direction of the sun. Knowing how the RealSense module works, it was a quick and obvious determination while flying that the reason for it had something to do with the RS sensors facing the sun, especially since I fly visual line-of-sight and noticed there was nothing but air in front of the aircraft. And yes, I've only noticed this behavior in the evening when the sun is lower on the horizon.
Bottom line... when it does this, and then I turn away from the sun, it no longer does this. Seems a pretty safe bet it has something to do with being in the general direction of the sun.
I would probably be contacting Intel about this vs Yuneec as they are the ones that developed it with others. They also indicated that the sun actually helps with the RealSense. They have their own forum that deals with the RealSense and it does go in-depth about it. I wish I had saved the forum page but alas I did not. Should be fairly easy to find though.

I don't think my issue had anything to do with the sun. What I did was re-seat the real sense module and clean the lens with a cloth (again). And it hasn't happened since.

Reactions: rdonson

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cvwritingservices