Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Home Mode.. no landing.. just hovering

Reaction score
Hello all..

I was testing out the Home Mode on my Typhoon H.. just to get a feel for how it worked. The documentation says that I should be able to flip the flight mode switch to Home and the drone will fly back to my location and land. However that didn't happen exactly. Yes - it flew right back to me.. and then hovered over my head and stayed there - about 30 feet over my head.

What am I missing? I believe OBS was turned off at this time. Thanks in advance!

I don't know the answer, but the one time I used RTH, I just let the drone come
back to where it was overhead... at that point, I simply switched back to angle
mode to land. The use of RTH should be for the purpose of getting it back to
where you can take back manual control. I have no interest in the H landing
itself, if it has truly returned to "home".

Hello all..

I was testing out the Home Mode on my Typhoon H.. just to get a feel for how it worked. The documentation says that I should be able to flip the flight mode switch to Home and the drone will fly back to my location and land. However that didn't happen exactly. Yes - it flew right back to me.. and then hovered over my head and stayed there - about 30 feet over my head.

What am I missing? I believe OBS was turned off at this time. Thanks in advance!

That is the correct flight characteristics to expect from RTH. The H will return to home and hover awaiting a re-connection. I will stay in the hover until the battery level reaches the battery warning stage and if it has no contact with the ST-16 at that point it will auto-land.

I don't know the answer, but the one time I used RTH, I just let the drone come
back to where it was overhead... at that point, I simply switched back to angle
mode to land. The use of RTH should be for the purpose of getting it back to
where you can take back manual control. I have no interest in the H landing
itself, if it has truly returned to "home".

Well, honestly me neither.. I completely agree with your perspectives on this. However when I get a new drone I like knowing everything about how my drone reacts and behaves in any circumstances and what to expect from the different features.

That is the correct flight characteristics to expect from RTH. The H will return to home and hover awaiting a re-connection. I will stay in the hover until the battery level reaches the battery warning stage and if it has no contact with the ST-16 at that point it will auto-land.

Totally understand that's what I would have expected if it loses connection with the ST-16. But in my case I used the Mode switch to go from "Smart" to "Home". And that behavior wasn't consistent with documentation.

In Home Mode the GPS connectivity will fly back Typhoon H in a straight line in the direction of the pilots’ current location, and automatically land within 13-26 ft (4-8m) of the pilot.

I'll do some more research and try again when I get to the airfield again. Maybe I had OBS on and that had something to do with it (tho my recollection is that it was turned off). I'll keep you all posted.

Well, honestly me neither.. I completely agree with your perspectives on this. However when I get a new drone I like knowing everything about how my drone reacts and behaves in any circumstances and what to expect from the different features.

Totally understand that's what I would have expected if it loses connection with the ST-16. But in my case I used the Mode switch to go from "Smart" to "Home". And that behavior wasn't consistent with documentation.

I'll do some more research and try again when I get to the airfield again. Maybe I had OBS on and that had something to do with it (tho my recollection is that it was turned off). I'll keep you all posted.
For me, I have tried all the switches and it sounds like you had it in OBS, because it would not land if it was near me. The first time I tried the RTH and let it land by it self, I switched it to
smart mode to take control because it was coming down I thought too fast. I thought it would hit hard. I read it would slow down before it got to the ground and land slower.
I tested this theory in an open field and just went for it. It indeed slowed just before landing, and all was good. It just lands a little faster then I would land. But it works. Try it knowing the switch is off and try it again.. Happy flying

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuneecfan49