Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How To: Compass Calibration - UPDATE COMING SOON

Eagle's Eye Video

Global Village Idiot
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
For the time being, the original videos created by @Peggy have been unlinked. While the original videos were excellently done, there is an amount of erroneous information, created by references to calibration procedures that are no longer accessible by the end user.

We are in the process of creating a new instructional video on the compass calibration only, in an effort to reduce the confusion and present accurate information to Plus pilots. Thank you for your patience during this production process.

Last edited:
Great video. @Peggy mentioned the geomagnetic interference he was experiencing, should I wait to do these calibrations away from home?

Last edited by a moderator:
One question if I may. Do I need to recalibrate when I change a battery?
No you only need to calibrate your compass if you travel a greater distance from the last point of flight.

I usually calibrate if I travel more than 50 km from last point of flight.

And just as part of my maintenance I calibrate on the first flight of every month just to make sure, and also after a firmware update.

Reactions: Jimmie
The video shows the guy calibrating with the camera attached. Isn’t it advisable to remove the camera and then calibrate to save unnecessarily stressing the gimbal motors?

The video shows the guy calibrating with the camera attached. Isn’t it advisable to remove the camera and then calibrate to save unnecessarily stressing the gimbal motors?

You can. I don't and have not had any issues. I usually take the props off, just easier to manipulate while moving it during calibration.

Last edited:
You can. I don't and have not had any issues. I usually take the props off, just easier to manipulate while moving it during calibration.

I'll add that I have seen some recommend keeping the gimbal lock in place if calibrating with the camera on. I absolutely do not agree with that. As you move it the camera gimbal will react to the motion. If the lock is on the motors that move the camera are going to ne drawing a lot of current to try to compensate. I feel it is better to let the camera move freely during calibration.

Totally agree, take off the gimbal lock is one of the first things I do, and putting props on is one of the last.

No you only need to calibrate your compass if you travel a greater distance from the last point of flight.

I usually calibrate if I travel more than 50 km from last point of flight.

And just as part of my maintenance I calibrate on the first flight of every month just to make sure, and also after a firmware update.
I upgraded my H+ now it's asking for a password to calibrate I tried the default password but it doesn't work . Need help

FWIW, I have only done one compass calibration since installing 822/829. I regularly travel between far northern California (Humboldt County) and Southern California (Orange County). They are 700 miles apart. Not had any problems.

Reactions: Jimmie
I upgraded my H+ now it's asking for a password to calibrate I tried the default password but it doesn't work . Need help

The Compass calibration is still available but the secret calibration menu which is now behind a password was never meant to be accessed by the end user, at least that is the reason given by Yuneec for why they removed access. In other words, the Gyro and Accelerometer calibrations are not to be performed after firmware updates or periods of non use or after traveling. And as to the compass calibration, many; and I am one, rarely perform compass calibrations. Between my Typhoon H and Typhoon H Plus I have well over 100 flight hours spanning a period of three years and only 1 (one) compass calibration per each aircraft. While I rarely travel more than fifty miles to a job or flying site there is another member who reported after a test flight in the US, his Plus was taken to Iceland and flown successfully without any calibrations.

The rule of thumb I hear a lot is a change of over 5 degrees in declination is when you should consider recalibration. In general the larger changes come with east/west travel as opposed to north/south. My 700 north/southish trek only changes declination by 3 degrees. This map gives a general idea of what the isogonic lines look like

Attachments

• 2015-Declination-Maps-W1.jpg
    2015-Declination-Maps-W1.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 28
As ty has written you only need to calibrate the compass. Yuneec recommend calibrating compass when traveling large distances.

Calibrate the compass if you’ve gotten a couple or multiple “geomagnetic interference” or has traveled 100 miles.

IMU calibration is an important tool as well as the Gyro.

Calibrate the compass if you’ve gotten a couple or multiple “geomagnetic interference” or has traveled 100 miles.

Agree!

Imu calibration is a very important tool and it is beyond my imagination why yuneec have blocked and in the first place hidden it from its pilots.

It's less about the miles traveled and more about the change in declination. As I noted above, 5 degrees in change is a good point to start worrying about compass calibrations. I travel over 700 miles between NORCAL (the real NORCAL) and SOCAL and rarely recalibrate the compass. But then that is around a 3 degree change in declination. But travel 600 miles from Chicago and Philadelphia and you'll get an 8 degree change. I recalibrate for sure.

Agree!

Imu calibration is a very important tool and it is beyond my imagination why yuneec have blocked and in the first place hidden it from its pilots.

I guess Yuneec figured out that they can write a bulletproof EFK code and inject it in the autopilot source code (unlikely)

I guess Yuneec figured out that they can write a bulletproof EFK code and inject it in the autopilot source code (unlikely)
Think they should learn to code properly first [emoji16][emoji4][emoji6]

Reactions: Jal7884
It's less about the miles traveled and more about the change in declination. As I noted above, 5 degrees in change is a good point to start worrying about compass calibrations. I travel over 700 miles between NORCAL (the real NORCAL) and SOCAL and rarely recalibrate the compass. But then that is around a 3 degree change in declination. But travel 600 miles from Chicago and Philadelphia and you'll get an 8 degree change. I recalibrate for sure.

5 degrees in change... LOL... What da heck is that? A good rule of thumb are:

1) If you are getting multiple geomagnetic interference. I get those a lot, and I calibrate, when I fly in every worksite.
2) When the app tells you, DJI app is really great with this reminder (but noobs that rely on their apps, crash a lot)
3) After FW/Build update.
4) A few miles or hundred of mines.
5) If you are in doubt. It does not hurt to calibrate.
6) Some calibrate at 20miles, others for longer distance, and if you are when the app tells you (Don't wait before the app tells you)
Compass, IMU, GYRO is an affordable process insurance process of eliminating the likelihood of flyaway or a crash.

Below is the attachment to the revised manual that YUNEEC forgot to write.

Attachments

• Typhoon_H_Plus_Manualv0.7.pdf
    7.1 MB · Views: 27
Think they should learn to code properly first [emoji16][emoji4][emoji6]

Soon, there will be a PirateBay ;-) a few members on here that are doing their thing behind the scene, because we are tired of being guinea pigs. I know for sure that the H Plus will be my first and last, not unless Yuneec can rebounce with a GOAT product.

Reactions: mbernholdt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval