Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How To Disable Smart Mode

Ah oke thanks for the great answer. I come from a ph4 and so i uses angle mode all the time. Smartmode fly's for me really crap and don't like it at all.

Smart mode is excellent for beginners to initiate development their hand/eye/aircraft coordination as long as they keep it close enough to visually recognize orientation. Smart mode uses the safe circle, not circle of death, to assist people from putting themselves in a dangerous situation by flying too close to themselves. The H is not a beginner's aircraft but some will buy it anyway, and who buys an H is not something the manufacturer can control so assisting them in avoiding injury is not a bad thing. Smart mode can also be extremely useful in some photo/video situations.

The largest problem, if we can even call it a problem, with Smart mode is not the mode itself, but found with the users that have issues with it because they failed to read and understand the description of how it functions, forgot how it functions, and lacked situational awareness when changing switch positions. What I've seen thus far is people blaming the equipment for their mistakes and failures. A fairly common trait anymore I'm afraid.

People need to become familiar with their equipment through practice and understanding of the information that's contained in manufacturer videos and written documentation. Make the effort to understand how each flight mode works and what it is capable of. Start slow and work up to bigger things as our system function memory fills out. Perhaps many are trying to do too much, too soon, and lack the situational awareness that develops over time spent with a system. If you have different transmitters for different aircraft you already understand that each transmitter is set up relevant to a particular aircraft. If you also fly planes and helis along with multirotors you know that accessory control positions (gear, flaps, rate switches, flight mode positions, bomb drops, tow release, etc.) can and will be at different locations and switch positions across your assortment of transmitters. Flight systems are different and it's not the responsibility of the manufacturer to be a flight instructor, although they are providing things like Smart mode and ops videos to help do so. It's up to each of us to learn our system and become proficient with our aircraft in order to operate them safely and effectively.

What's really neat is that Yuneec has provided a means for each to tailor their transmitter to their particular taste and sensitivity. I'm not aware of that being done with a consumer drone before. A great thing but also something people need to take the time to learn to avoid making changes they don't yet understand the consequences of. There's no hurry, take your time.
Well worded.

Smart mode has it's place but IMO it should not be forced upon us as a primary mode. Beginners can and should train in angle mode so they are qualified to pilot an aircraft like the H. Purchase a $20 Cheerson and go at it. When I started instructing RC over 35 years ago we did not have smart modes let alone 3 axis gyro stabilization.

Bottom line is the pilot is responsible for his craft and those around it. Adding newbie modes so these multirotors can be sold in Best Buy is a mistake IMO; it is still an aircraft that must be piloted by a qualified person.

Some of my most difficult students were full size pilots. I remember one guy specifically, he was the Captain of a 747 and flew the Hawaii to LA route. As long as the plane was flying away from him he was fine, left is left and right is right. When nose in, or flying towards yourself left is right and right is left. This was difficult to teach a guy who sat in a seat for thousands of hours where left was always left. In addition we did not have pause or failsafe or any other mode to simply let off the sticks and the craft would stabilize, there was no RTH.

Bottom line is learn to fly before you fly, do not depend on technology to fly for you or sooner or later technology will fail you and you will blame the manufacturer for not putting in more safety devices.

I flew simple and super simple smart modes with APM's for years, they had there uses when you got confused or you wanted to yaw around while flying a coarse, but I never liked them for anything else. In fact I don't like GPS assisted flight for the most part, just stabilized flight. I like to fly the craft with visual feedback from my eyes and FPV. Flying without GPS leads too smoother and more fluid movements, plus can save battery life.

Adding an artificial mode like smart mode which removes the correlation between the sticks and the craft can, and is, confusing. Then add the safe circle on top of this. I have seen experienced pilots crash in smart mode because they lost their sense of direction when a computer is making the decisions. I read my H manual carefully and was a little surprised to find the main mode was super simple. I have not owned a Yuneec product before so this was different for me. I tried smart mode right off the bat and was ready for the orientation but immediately switched into manual and turned off GPS, that felt good.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: PatR
As for me, I see a use for smart mode, I do not really want to disable it but see why some would. However, the switch can be accidentally caught and switched into smart mode which could potentialy cause a problem, some seem to think that if you are a good enough pilot then this will never be a problem. Well maybe it won't but I think this is poor design and the switch should simply have a lockoot on it like has veen suggested by some.

Smart mode has it's place but IMO it should not be forced upon us as a primary mode. Beginners can and should train in angle mode so they are qualified to pilot an aircraft like the H. Purchase a $20 Cheerson and go at it. When I started instructing RC over 35 years ago we did not have smart modes let alone 3 axis gyro stabilization.

Bottom line is the pilot is responsible for his craft and those around it. Adding newbie modes so these multirotors can be sold in Best Buy is a mistake IMO; it is still an aircraft that must be piloted by a qualified person.

Some of my most difficult students were full size pilots. I remember one guy specifically, he was the Captain of a 747 and flew the Hawaii to LA route. As long as the plane was flying away from him he was fine, left is left and right is right. When nose in, or flying towards yourself left is right and right is left. This was difficult to teach a guy who sat in a seat for thousands of hours where left was always left. In addition we did not have pause or failsafe or any other mode to simply let off the sticks and the craft would stabilize, there was no RTH.

Bottom line is learn to fly before you fly, do not depend on technology to fly for you or sooner or later technology will fail you and you will blame the manufacturer for not putting in more safety devices.

I flew simple and super simple smart modes with APM's for years, they had there uses when you got confused or you wanted to yaw around while flying a coarse, but I never liked them for anything else. In fact I don't like GPS assisted flight for the most part, just stabilized flight. I like to fly the craft with visual feedback from my eyes and FPV. Flying without GPS leads too smoother and more fluid movements, plus can save battery life.

Adding an artificial mode like smart mode which removes the correlation between the sticks and the craft can, and is, confusing. Then add the safe circle on top of this. I have seen experienced pilots crash in smart mode because they lost their sense of direction when a computer is making the decisions. I read my H manual carefully and was a little surprised to find the main mode was super simple. I have not owned a Yuneec product before so this was different for me. I tried smart mode right off the bat and was ready for the orientation but immediately switched into manual and turned off GPS, that felt good.

Just my opinion.

I agree with you 100 per cent.

Safe mode has its place a usefulness, I use it on many flights.

It's the safe circle (circle of death for anything outside the circle)
that is ridicules.

A drone that flies uncontrollably in any direction it chooses without
warning because it does not want to be in that 26 foot air space.

Let the pilots fly it and the beginners learn it but don't
try and second guess us.

How many drones has Yuneec already repaired under warranty and in
the future for there own doing.

Just my opinion.

Just my opinion.

Robbi,

I almost totally agree with you, but manufacturers are in the game to make a buck and setting these things up so just any fool can do it males them a lot more bucks. There's been a buy and fly mentality out there a long time, it started with park flyers and migrated into giant scale RC, coming to roost in "consumer drones". Unfortunately it won't go away until it's no longer profitable to make "anybody" aerial toys.

The only place I don't agree is where you indicate Smart mode is the primary mode. It does hold the upper switch position but once that position is changed, leaving it there establishes a new primary mode. Personally, I would prefer some more mode selections, including the ability to disable GPS while in flight, but I'll use with what I have and roll with it.

So with all this cool stuff in the channel settings (played with expo on pitch/roll), what happens if you muck up a channel and forget what the default is? Is there a way to factory reset? I'd think so, but haven't found out how yet.

I may have screwed up A08 (ch 12). Would someone please post a screenshot of the channel settings for A08?

Thanks.

So with all this cool stuff in the channel settings (played with expo on pitch/roll), what happens if you muck up a channel and forget what the default is? Is there a way to factory reset? I'd think so, but haven't found out how yet.

I may have screwed up A08 (ch 12). Would someone please post a screenshot of the channel settings for A08?

Thanks.
Did you try the reset for that channel? If not I'll post a pic.

Thanks.
Be sure to always write down your factory settings before changing anything friend. ;)

Not pushing my little mod idea but it really does work in helping prevent you from changing that toggle position by accident. The thing I like is it does not permanently alter anything, looks cool and is very easy to do. Takes 5 min.
I am just trying to help so here is a link! i:)i

My solution to the Smart toggle issue.

Last edited:
I don't mind having a smart super simple mode available. My issue is it does not belong on the main flight mode switch. Traditionally with my APM's and other RTF quads there is a separate process to enable simple mode. I like the standard GPS stabilize, non GPS stabilize and RTH on the three position flight mode switch.

My P1 is set up like this and requires you to engage the left 2 position switch to enable coarse lock or home lock. My Cheerson CX-20 is very similar. My P3 has GPS(P) mode, non GPS stabilize mode(atti) and F mode. In the F mode you can go into the app and select coarse or home lock.

Point is all these other MR's require you to take a second step to enable simple mode, and that is how I would like my H. I don't know if you can map the switches like APM but if you could I'd like to see the simple mode on the aux. button next to the flight mode switch; then a standard layout GPS-non GPS- RTH on the main flight mode switch. Really bothers me you cannot turn GPS on and off in the air.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval