Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to hand catch your Typhoon - learn the skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the day we didn't have no fancy flying machines we threw sticks in the air and drew pictures of what we thought the sticks would've seen. Now hand catching those sticks was a very dangerous thing but not near as dangerous as when we first started out with bricks! Catching bricks was a whole different story. Please don't anybody go out and start catching bricks, it's not a responsible thing to do!
Wise words indeed Markinter!

Reactions: Markinter
Interesting. I saw a recent video shoot at a sheer but very scenic mountain location in South America. The "pilot" had to hand catch his filming drone at times, a P4, while hanging on the side of the cliff. No place to land it. Awesome video.

Ha...now there I see a perfect opportunity for the wizard remote if it would have been a TH. Fumbling around with a big remote while holding someone else's rope.....no thanks . I know...a bit off topic

Reactions: Photo and Rayray
You guys are funny, I hand catch based on the conditions I'm flying in. I have done my t/o then in less than 15 minutes they changed so hand catch it was. Too much money invested to see it fall over. Fly safe.

Great stuff. Hand launching spinning knives (while sometimes necessary to get the shot) has it's inherent risks. Always decide if the benefits warrant the increased risk. Better yet, always have a buddy do the hand launch and recovery, that way you always stay safe :p

Attachments

• injuries.jpg
    injuries.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 37
  • Wow
Reactions: AussieCate and PatR
Hey brother! I'm looking forward to see how the Typhoon handles in the crazy winter months.
Seeing the past winter was fairly mild in Canadian terms, the biggest issue I found was keeping my hands warm...the Q worked good...Yuneec says no flying below -10 but I used that as a guide

Back in the day we didn't have no fancy flying machines we threw sticks in the air and drew pictures of what we thought the sticks would've seen. Now hand catching those sticks was a very dangerous thing but not near as dangerous as when we first started out with bricks! Catching bricks was a whole different story. Please don't anybody go out and start catching bricks, it's not a responsible thing to do!

Freak'n Hilarious! :) :)

Reactions: Markinter
Seeing the past winter was fairly mild in Canadian terms, the biggest issue I found was keeping my hands warm...the Q worked good...Yuneec says no flying below -10 but I used that as a guide

Funny, DJI has the same thing. They say their camera is not rated to operate below -10 C. I flew Phantoms in -25 C and the video turned out fine. The batteries/flight time took a hit though due to the cold.

I sometimes hand catch my Q500+. Have not tried it with my "H". When I hand catch I look and study the drone like it was a irate eagle. If it is not completely calm I will find a safe place to land it. I have caught it many times safety. If you do this be very careful.

Just sub'd to your channel and thanks for all the tips. Did my first hand catch just in case I need to in the future.

Reactions: CAPTAINDRONE
I tend to hand catch my phantoms around 75% of the time but , so far, I've ground landed my Typhoon H 100% of the time.

Reasons: My Phantoms (A P2V and a P2V+) have landing skids that don't have a very good footprint and the P2V+ in particular is prone to falling over in anything more that a light breeze. Indeed, on my very first flight with the P2V, many moons ago, it tipped over on landing and but for the fact that I had noob training wheels on it, it would have had some broken props for sure.

So, since then I've hand caught the Phantoms in any sort of wind.

The Typhoon H, on the other hand, has a larger foot print on the landing skids and just seems to behave itself much more during landing even in moderately strong winds. It just doesn't seem to particularly want to tip over during landing. Hence my 100% ground landing so far.

I know there will come a time when ground conditions will dictate to me a hand catch with the Typhoon H: Very long grass or very uneven surface but I think I'll reserve hand catches on the H for those exceptional circumstances and ground land the majority of the time.

Just my take on it.

By the way, Good tip on the safety glasses.

Edit: Just a footnote: if anyone doing the flight assessment for CAA permissions does a hand catch they will fail the test...you have to ground land the vehicle in any wind within your operational limits as stated in your ops manual.

Ha...now there I see a perfect opportunity for the wizard remote if it would have been a TH. Fumbling around with a big remote while holding someone else's rope.....no thanks . I know...a bit off topic
GREAT + WOOW x 1000!!! :eek::confused:

GREAT + WOOW x 1000!!! :eek::confused:

What I meant is, when you're mountain climbing, the Wizard comes in handy. No need for a phone or an IPad + Remote like the DJI guys with the newer Phantoms
Especially if you're supporting someone else. Look at him around the 3 min mark. Holding someones rope + holding a remote

when on a boat in the ocean with the current & waves rocking, drifting my only choice is to catch it. Landing it safely on the limited amount of real estate while the boats moving side to side up and down is impossible, for me at least

im a rookie aerial photographer but here's some footage from nyc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430