Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to hand catch your Typhoon - learn the skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet, do you plug it into your phone or a recorder, if the latter, care to share a link as well? Looking to step up my audio game and yours sound great!
You could plug it into a phone with the correct App. For my videos it's plugged into a DSLR Canon camera. It is designed for video cameras but works perfect in DSLRs.

To teach others how to hand catch a drone is IRRESPONSIBLE and don't care how many times it has been successful it only takes one catch to loose fingers for life.
Do the right thing for beginners and stop promoting it. These aircraft were NOT meant to be caught.

To teach others how to hand catch a drone is IRRESPONSIBLE and don't care how many times it has been successful it only takes one catch to loose fingers for life.
Do the right thing for beginners and stop promoting it. These aircraft were NOT meant to be caught.
Grandpa is that you? :) Probably not your intention but you are coming off as kind of a buzz kill.

You do realize that not all drone pilots live in a retirement home with a large 10 acre flat landing pad. There are many drone pilots who fly from boats, or leave the comfort of home for the adventurious side of the planet where the ground is not accepting of a drone landing. Also, don't get me started on those pilots who fly in Non-GPS mode... what are they thinking!!! :)

If you wish to catch or not is a personal choice.

I will turn down that crazy Rock & Roll music now.

Each has to make decisions for themselves and deal with the outcomes as they occur.

I hand catch 100% of the time, but I have flown for several decades. The only one I don't hand catch is my Inspire 2. It really depends on the size of drone. I take that back, I catch 90% of the time as I don't hand catch my small racing drones (too small and unstable with not much area to hold), or my Inspire 2 due to size. My Inspire 2 is only flown in areas that has a large flat landing/takeoff area. I do a lot of mountain flying, climbing/hiking to the top and flying around, getting scenic shots and often unable to land on the uneven ground. I make a small level takeoff point, too small to land on. Hand catching is my only option, and I find it quite safe if you are patient and give yourself plenty of time before battery is wearing down. I always hand catch just after the first warning and keep an eye of my levels at all times. Hand catching would be dangerous, and stupid if it was coming down quickly for an emergency low battery landing. Anything can be dangerous if not done with a level head. Those who say it shouldn't be done must only fly in wide open areas and take wonderful boring videos of fields. I don't want to watch your videos and fall asleep immediately. Most of us who fly, want to capture scenes that were are only able to be captured if you were in a helicopter, except with the amazing quality that we now have. I have flown helicopter for 2 decades and have been a RC flier for 3 decades. I have been flying drones on a daily basis (weather permitting) for almost 8 years (lots of flight time). whenever I flew up into the mountains 10 years or more ago, I always wished I could record the beauty the world has to offer. Taking photos was nice but definitely not the same as a video. I have only had the H for about a month, and after 30+ flights from start, very easy to hand catch. I bought the H because of the backpack compatibility and the wind flying capabilities. Where I fly many times is in the mountains with often strong wind currents, the H is extremely stable in these environments. The phantom 4 pro not so much (always having to fly in sport mode to compensate. Oh yeah, the only propellers I have broken have been when the drone lands itself. Propellers breaking can also be very dangerous (many of mine have been modified with carbon fiber).

Flew with a guy with an Inspire 2 last Saturday. He used a folding dinner tray for take off and landing:)

Couldn't have said it any better myself. We ( as a group) should be trying to promote the use of UAV's in an entirely positive manner. Teaching someone to do something that goes against this principle is completely irresponsible and not only poses a threat to the operator, but also a threat to continuing legislation, etc for other, more responsible operators.
In regards to the argument about flying in locations that may be challenging (boats, uneven ground, etc) I find the 'hand catch' thing as an excuse. I have taken off and landed on my boat many times. Some of these have been on some pretty windy days. Due to my location, I am also 'forced' to have to take off, or land on some pretty uneven terrain.
Rather than teaching someone how to hand catch, shouldn't we be teaching them how to actually land their UAV. It's been covered before, but in reality, if you are having trouble actually landing, then maybe try and go out and practice those landings in different scenarios.
If you still want to hand catch, or advocate for such a thing, then by all means go for it, but please don't discuss it through forums, etc as it will eventually damage us all.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
the real question or answer is not how to catch your Typhoon but why would you want to catch your Typhoon in the first place . it dose have landing skids .

the real question or answer is not how to catch your Typhoon but why would you want to catch your Typhoon in the first place . it dose have landing skids .
I always hand catch my Typhoon H. If done properly there is minimal risk of injury, You guys who are afraid of hand catching must have pretty poor piloting skills.........sad to say......

Reactions: useitorloseit
I always hand catch my Typhoon H. If done properly there is minimal risk of injury, You guys who are afraid of hand catching must have pretty poor piloting skills.........sad to say......

Or perhaps the opposite... confidence in one's piloting skills rendering hand catching unnecessary.

-happy to say...

Reactions: ArnhemAnt
No. Not poor pilot skills. Just good judgement and don't have an ego to pad. Also, if I hired a pilot and saw him/her hand catching I would fire them on the spot. It doesn't look professional.

No. Not poor pilot skills. Just good judgement and don't have an ego to pad. Also, if I hired a pilot and saw him/her hand catching I would fire them on the spot. It doesn't look professional.

I'm a professional videographer, pilot (helo), and have been flying RC aircrafts for almost 30 years. I fly in remote locations often unable to land due to uneven ground (mountains etc). Not everyone flies in a field (shoot me if that was my only option). I fly LOS often in angle, calibrate drone when i move shoot locations more than 10 miles from last, aquire minimum 13+ GPS satellites ( feel better with 20+), balance props as needed and check pre and post flights, check temperature of motors, drone, batteries pre and post, check wind direction and speeds, humidity, elevation/altitude, GPS coordinates with flight paths. I log all of this before and after each flight. I do this for a living and have with drones for 5 years, and helicopters (I have a bell 208 and 212) for 20 years. Not a newbie! I'm safe about everything I do. I'm not saying everyone should do it. I just do it, because I can do it safely and with common sense. I record my log books for my helo every pre and post flights with safety checks. I maintain my own helicopter and drones.

I'm a professional videographer, pilot (helo), and have been flying RC aircrafts for almost 30 years. I fly in remote locations often unable to land due to uneven ground (mountains etc). Not everyone flies in a field (shoot me if that was my only option). I fly LOS often in angle, calibrate drone when i move shoot locations more than 10 miles from last, aquire minimum 13+ GPS satellites ( feel better with 20+), balance props as needed and check pre and post flights, check temperature of motors, drone, batteries pre and post, check wind direction and speeds, humidity, elevation/altitude, GPS coordinates with flight paths. I log all of this before and after each flight. I do this for a living and have with drones for 5 years, and helicopters (I have a bell 208 and 212) for 20 years. Not a newbie! I'm safe about everything I do. I'm not saying everyone should do it. I just do it, because I can do it safely and with common sense. I record my log books for my helo every pre and post flights with safety checks. I maintain my own helicopter and drones.
Well I'm proud of you. Good job. But I still wouldn't hire you.
Also check back at my post prior to my last. That guy was a pro also and and and. Etc. Just saying.
I'll say this if your that good of a pilot then you can fi d a spot to land in most situations. Notice I said most.
Oh and don't act like you are the only one here who has flown for many years and owns helps and . And. And..
Now would I hand catch a drone? I I absolutely had to.
Have I hand caught a drone? Yep
Do I recommend it? Nope
Should you do it as routine? Nope.

Thanks for the video.
This has nothing to do with the kid with the mondo heli that chopped his head in two. Apples and oranges. It simply is not physically possible to do with the H. In fact, I don't even think the H has enough mass in the props and power behind it to do more than cause a good annoying cut, but I digress...
Some of us have absolutely ZERO choice in the matter. When I take off from my boat, I have two choices; land in the water or hand-catch it. Since I like my H, and I don't plan on having to buy a new one every time I fly it, guess which choice I use? There's simply no way to land the H back on the foredeck unless I'm at anchor in a quiet cove.

Thanks for the video.
This has nothing to do with the kid with the mondo heli that chopped his head in two. Apples and oranges. It simply is not physically possible to do with the H. In fact, I don't even think the H has enough mass in the props and power behind it to do more than cause a good annoying cut, but I digress...
Some of us have absolutely ZERO choice in the matter. When I take off from my boat, I have two choices; land in the water or hand-catch it. Since I like my H, and I don't plan on having to buy a new one every time I fly it, guess which choice I use? There's simply no way to land the H back on the foredeck unless I'm at anchor in a quiet cove.
The point isn't the mass or type of device it's the fact that **** can happen.
Also as for flying from my boat I choose a water proof drone like splash drone etc.

Actually, the point is the mass, and the power. To dismiss the fact that the H is physically not capable of removing a person's head by the propellers hitting said head, but then compare hand catching the H with a guy that had carbon fiber blades on a super high-performance helicopter is an apples-to-oranges situation. so, that * * * * simply and literally CAN'T happen.
Good deal on your personal choice of "drone".
For me, I chose my Typhoon H sUAS to fly from my boat, since it's fully capable of being safely hand caught.

Just in case you've always wanted to hand catch your Typhoon H but were a bit unsure of the process, here is a video.

hi Captain,

I have found your videos to be well done and very informative, I must commend you on this one as well. Very well done with the following exception(s).

You mention several instances where hand-catching is necessary. I do not have time to review the video so will rely on a shaky memory:
  • Uneven landing zone
  • Spectators, animals
  • Toilet bowl
  • Flying from a moving vehicle (automobile, watercraft, et al)
You then proceed to show how to catch a drone in a pristine environment, not even close to approximating the last two situations, let alone the distractions of said spectators and/or animals. I do not have an answer for herding the animals away from a desired landing zone. But I do think we short change ourselves by thinking we cannot ask, and get compliance, from anyone walking up to see what we are doing. It is incumbent upon a pilot to have contingency plans for such situations, as in alternate landing zones, am I right? (I am not debating the mountain climbers here, or anything related.)

Flying from a moving vehicle, aside from certain restrictions about the practice, also does not lend itself to complete and predictable control as to "catching" a returning drone.

Now the toilet bowl. If anyone has seen an actual toilet bowl effect, whether violently rotating itself around a virtual center point, or simply drifting in an ever increasing oval pattern close to the ground, the LAST thing anyone should think of doing is trying to catch the bloody thing while it is flying in said pattern! The result could often be the pun intended. I am of the opinion, and doubt I am alone, is to try to follow the recovery techniques previously discussed in these pages (gain altitude and try landing again, for instance) otherwise "let the craft crash". Trying to save it and risk injury is not something many would recommend.

So I submit that while your video accomplished what it set out to do, it did not address the adverse conditions you listed at the top of your video. If anything, I would suggest editing your list of reasons for hand catching, and simply state something like: "if ever the need arises and one feels a hand catch is a must, being prepared as to the mechanics of it are very important."

Thanks again for all the efforts you put into your videos. Keep it up! I also trust you welcome suggestions and comments, if kept civil, and thus will appreciate the above as well.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Siyaco