Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to install GOOGLE PLAYSTORE on ST16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. That was complicated. I never would have figured it out. Thanks.
If you wish to install APPS on your ST16 or you wish to download FIRMWARE updates from the Yuneec website, you'll need:

- WIFI
- Google Account (for PLAYSTORE only)

On your ST16, select "PAD" - located on lower left of screen. Then select the circle at the bottom of the screen with the 6 dots in it. This takes you to your install APPS screen in Android.

Go to the SETTINGS gear icon and fill in all the info for your WiFi.

Go to the GOOGLE SETTINGS icon and fill in your Google Account Info.

Next use a PC or MAC and download the GOOGLE PLAY STORE (APK FILE) located here:
[APK][20-MAY-2016] Google Play Store v6.7.12.E-all ~ Newest version, unmodded

There is an UNCOMPRESS program that comes with the ST16, but it is not very good. You need WINZIP. Go to this address (using a PC or MAC) and download the following WINZIP (APK FILE):
WinZip (Android)

Copy both files from your PC or MAC to a MICRO SD Card.

Next, place the MICRO SD card in the bottom of your ST16.

Make certain that you have selected "PAD" and are now looking at the GREEN desktop of ANDROID. Again click on that circle at the bottom center of your screen.

Select FILE MANAGER

The are two tabs at the top of FILE MANAGER "Category & Directory". Select "Category".

Select "APKs". The APK files you copied to the MICRO SD, which is now in the bottom of your ST16 will show up. Select them and they will install (accept all the screens).

That's it!!!! You're all done. Now you can go to the Google Play store and you can also download ZIPPED files from the YUNEEC website and UNZIP them.

NOTE: If ever you wish to copy files, lets say from your ST16 to a MICRO SD, or from a MICRO SD to your ST16, use the FILEMANAGER App, but select "DIRECTORY".... then find your files and copy and paste them.

HAVE FUN WITH YOUR TYPHOON (and ST16)!

View attachment 626
tried it, got to the last part and st16 wont read sd card, checked to see if APKs were on card and they are??????????

need help for install googleplay i have installed on st16...but it get evrytime ended when i try to start i

need help for install googleplay i have installed on st16...but it get evrytime ended when i try to start i

I was able to install the Play Store without issues but when trying to install apps I get an error (probably because the device isn't certified by Google). I pulled the app off the ST16 and will probably just try to find individual APKs of the apps I would want to install. I did notice that when launching Google Maps it craps out when trying to update it. It looks like Yuneec added Maps at the minute as an afterthought without making sure it could update. Even trying to sign in with my Google account crashes Maps. These things aren't showstoppers and really just icing on the cake. Their priority was to make a solid piloting experience first. I've copied my Rush albums to the SD card to listen to while flying so that's pretty nice.

Reactions: eric bee
To make Play store work, you have to root the ST16. Someone has directions on Youtube. Hopefully the root police won't find me.

Reactions: TopFlightTexas
To make Play store work, you have to root the ST16. Someone has directions on Youtube. Hopefully the root police won't find me.

I'm fine with rooting a $300 tablet or phone but I'm not too keen on rooting part of a $1300 purchase until I know with 100% there won't be unforeseen issues later when updating the ST16 firmware. After looking at the Android build, it doesn't appear Yuneec put a lot of time polishing the overall experience. I'm not knocking it by any means, since stock Android is pretty smooth, if not spartan. I would LOVE to see the ST16 get Google certified and get some more of the Google apps. Maybe a better Maps implementation, the Gmail app to replace the aged Mail app, and Google Earth. This probably won't happen until a newer hardware model of the ST16 is made with more storage for this.

I was able to install the Play Store without issues but when trying to install apps I get an error (probably because the device isn't certified by Google). I pulled the app off the ST16 and will probably just try to find individual APKs of the apps I would want to install. I did notice that when launching Google Maps it craps out when trying to update it. It looks like Yuneec added Maps at the minute as an afterthought without making sure it could update. Even trying to sign in with my Google account crashes Maps. These things aren't showstoppers and really just icing on the cake. Their priority was to make a solid piloting experience first. I've copied my Rush albums to the SD card to listen to while flying so that's pretty nice.
Add some Led Zepplin too!

Reactions: Jared
hi you didn't get your H back from service yet? have you gotten an update of any kind? i ask because i had to sent my camera and gimbal in...I don't want to get into on the forum what happened as i don't want trolls all over this....it was a fluke thing that happened that i should have probably noticed when it arrived but was anxious to fly it.
No Typhoon H yet. Delays were that it took awhile to get a shipping label. Then when I did get one it took a week and a half to make it to Yuneec from my city in Canada via UPS. Yuneec uses UPS Standard (not expedited) shipping to and from Canada so a Donkey cart would probably have been quicker. Then when it arrived, it took four days before Yuneec noticed it and sent me an email saying Yuneec servicing had received it. For those who live in the US, you will not have to wait near as long as I've had to.

I can't seem to find the files in the 'Apks' folder on the ST16. I dragged the folders on my PC to the SD card folder and still nothing. Any ideas?

This is great...except for one possible/probable problem - in addition to installing the Google Play Store, you also NEED to have Google Play Services installed. Yes, you will be able to "play around" within the Google Play Store, even going so far as to have access to the "All" list within "My apps & games". Unfortunately, you won't (or, at least, you shouldn't) be able to install/update anything, due to another missing app - Google Play Services. Complicating matters, there are many version numbers of the Play Store APK, and there are also many version numbers for the Google Play Services APK, and you can't just install any version of either/both.

Starting with Google Play (the easier to explain), certain versions are only for certain versions (and above) of Android. In other words, you can't just install the most recent (which, unfortunately, is exactly what CAPTAINDRONE's link will download). You can install an older version, or even a very old version, and it will run just as well as the newest version. You can even open it, go to "Settings", and attempt to have it update itself to the most recent version...it might even work, and, then again, it might not (I didn't test that far). Once installed, you'll have access to everything the Play Store has to offer...except installing/updating apps. That's where Google Play Services comes into play (pardon the pun).

This is where everything gets complicated. As with the Play Store, you can't just download any version you want, as there are different version numbers of Google Play Services that are associated to different versions of Android. Making matters worse, you ALSO NEED TO KNOW THE PROCESSOR TYPE. Technically, the exact version of Google Play Services that's needed is dependent upon three specific categories: Android version, CPU architecture, & DPI. The "Android version" is separated into 5 groups, while the CPU architecture is separated into 4, and the DPI is separated into 5. Just looking at the most recent version of Google Play Services (9.2.56), there are 28 variants. To date, there have been 74 different versions of Google Play Services, and while most of the oldest ones only had a single variant, more recent versions have had as many as 25-28 variants each.

As you should be able to understand, selecting a version of the Play Store is a relatively simple process, but correctly trying to match up the correct Google Play Services APK will be considerably more difficult. As much as I'd really like to get the Play Store fully operational...if for no other reason than downloading/installing the latest version of Google Maps...until someone presents a definitive solution as to which, specific Play Store AND Play Services APKs to download/install, my best suggestion/recommendation would be to leave the ST16 'stock'. I'm sure someone, in due time (probably in the mod community, such as XDA), will determine exactly which Play Store & Play Services APKs need to be downloaded/installed to the ST16. Again, I suggest waiting...unless you are a dev who knows/understands the risks, and is willing to take them in order to help others...or unless (to those who are NOT devs) you want to take the chance of royally screwing up your ST16.

I have both my controllers modded & rooted after the latest update. All you have to do is convert the Google Play .APK to be a system file and it works perfect. Ive downloaded google Chrome and whatever other apps I want to install. Ive also flown both of them to make sure there was no problem. Works Flawless

OK so how is this done for us that are still in the 1950,s LOL
"All you have to do is convert the Google Play .APK to be a system file and it works perfect."

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis