Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Increase connectivity range, antenna mod.

Would it increase my range?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was flying my drone yesterday, and I noticed that my connection tends to be quite fragile, even flying in an open area. After a meter of 150m, my drone even dc'd once and flew back, but has no trouble of going into the air 270 meters straight from the spot it departed.

Anyway, when looking at range extenders, I see that 4Hawks has some great extenders, and even with just replacing the antennas with their Raptor OD antennas, the range could go up to a 3 kilometers in good conditions.

After opening up my controller, I noticed that my antennas are connected with basic U.Fl/I-PEX female connectors. And looking at the products of 4Hawk, they basically use a simple U.Fl to RP-SMA cables and connect their omni- or directional antenna to it. But ehir package cost a whopping $120.

So I figured out, if I would buy myself 2 basic U.Fl to RP-SMA cables and 2 omni-directional wifi antenna's with 2× 5 dBi WiFi antennas, shouldn't that do the exact same job and increase my range dramatically?

Cables
Antenna

Best regards

Attachments

• modem-router-antenne-5-dbi-versterking-5-dbi.jpg
    modem-router-antenne-5-dbi-versterking-5-dbi.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 28
  • wlan-naar-rp-sma-aansluitkabel-0.1-meter.jpg
    wlan-naar-rp-sma-aansluitkabel-0.1-meter.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 28
It would be worth a try. If you install the sma connector then you have a wide variety of antennas to select from. I don't know what frequency bands the G is using but you certainly need antennas to match those.

You should be aware that the worst signal reception is always straight above the controller. The orientation of the antennas in the aircraft work better at a horizontal distance vs vertical.

It would be worth a try. If you install the sma connector then you have a wide variety of antennas to select from. I don't know what frequency bands the G is using but you certainly need antennas to match those.

You should be aware that the worst signal reception is always straight above the controller. The orientation of the antennas in the aircraft work better at a horizontal distance vs vertical.
The freq range of the G is 2.4 and 5ghz. I took that in account when choosing the antenna.

Please let us know how it worked out for you. I have a Mantis Q and I'm very interested in extending the range on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval