Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Indoor Flying 2017

Reaction score
I have a client enquiry for filming inside a very large warehouse. I realise they say 'no GPS, no Power' but am I able to just disable GPS before starting, and fly it manually?

Also, if that's possible, will it avoid the annoying Lost GPS error message and vibrating ST-16 when flying?

Or can I just not fly it indoors, especially now they've binned the indoor positioning module (doesn't inspire confidence!)

Many thanks!

In short, yes you can disable GPS and fly it manually. Once GPS is disabled, you will not receive the message/vibration.

Does your "H" have RealSense installed? If so, it's supposed to fly indoors better than w/o RS. I haven't tried it yet, but plan on it very soon.

Intel said:
... The module also adds downward facing sensors to improve stability, enabling flight indoors or outdoors close to the ground with poor GPS reception.

Source

Aero-Dynamics said:
..now they've binned the indoor positioning module

I am assuming you mean banned the indoor positioning module? I haven't heard about that. Could you share with us? Are you referring to the RealSense module?

Last edited by a moderator:
In short, yes you can disable GPS and fly it manually. Once GPS is disabled, you will not receive the message/vibration.

Does your "H" have RealSense installed? If so, it's supposed to fly indoors better than w/o RS. I haven't tried it yet, but plan on it very soon.

Yes. If you have RealSense, then you have IPS. Inside, with enough light to video, start as you do outside, in Angle Mode and Turtle only, except leave GPS ON and OA (RealSense) OFF.

As the H initializes, it will look for GPS Sats. Finding none or less than 8 or 10, the instant you lift off, the IPS icon on the top right of the ST16 screen will appear. IPS will help stabilize the H laterally now. Be careful not to let it run into anything. Go slow till you get a feel for it.

Do not turn on RS. Do not turn off GPS. Hopefully Yuneec will make this more intuitive in a future update.

Wow!! I wasn't aware of that @Rayray. I was about to give it a shot. That doesn't sound logical at all. Thank you for the clarification!!

Ray,

If you haven't already, consider adding that to the new manual thread. That was a very big revelation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Rayray,

So, you can't run RS (Smart mode enabled) indoors for avoidance as well? It can only be used for stabilization (indoors)? If so, then it's either/or. You can't use them in tandem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray,

If you haven't already, consider adding that to the new manual thread. That was a very big revelation.

We're hoping Yuneec soon makes it easier and intuitive, which would negate fiddling with the manual. At the moment IPS is almost useless except for keeping the RS H from landing with legs up.

Reactions: Art-Tistic
@Rayray,

So, you can't run RS (Smart mode enabled) indoors for avoidance as well? It can only be used for stabilization (indoors)? If so, then it's either/or. You can't use them in tandem?

Take a step back. RS cannot be used anywhere without GPS locked.

Interesting.. I was thinking it could create a map w/o GPS coordinates. I am very familiar with robotic vacuums. Some use SLAM to map/navigate their surroundings. I know RealSense is (somewhat) based off of Kinect technology, which also doesn't rely on GPS, thus me thinking it could be possible.

The issue is lack of knowledge/information (As we already know)! :(

I have do a job without real sense indoor 2 month ago.

ATTENTION: If you don't have Realsense installed and you PUT OFF GPS
your copter will act like a wild BEE, because he rise the speed (in turtle too). So it will fly faster then you know from outside.

I haven't test it now how it will be with IPS and GPS. its known with realsense it reduce the speed...but will the IPS work if you turn off GPS? I wouldn't risk the bird get some satellites and then the H Lost and then act with bad control...

maybe you use indoor the hardware Props Guard, too

...but will the IPS work if you turn off GPS? . . .

From what @Rayray mentioned above, no. You have to leave GPS "ON". Once you take off (With the RS module), IPS should be displayed in the upper-right hand side.

I am going to be testing this in-depth in my garage in the near future.

Hey there. I wanted to chime in on this thread. I don't have my real sense yet. Its being shipped. So can this fly in a large empty wharehouse my Typhoon H with the GPS off, and how do I disable The GPS in a ST 16.

Should I wait for The Real Sense to be installed before flying it with GPS off indoors.

I want to fly in a 175,000 foot building with 40 foot high ceilings.

I should be able to do this, No?

I just finished my first flight in my garage with 0 satellites on the "H" and the controller. RealSense made it hover very stable, but it moved very jerky even in turtle mode with a bit of wandering at times.

W/O the RealSense module, I don't know if you need to turn off GPS in order to take off. I also don't know how well it will hover w/o RealSense.

With RealSense, you want to leave GPS on, and avoidance off, like @Rayray mentioned above. Once I got off the ground, it switched to IPS. I did turn on avoidance, and it whined about OBJ not working, and I received a compass calibration warning. I immediately turned it off and landed my "H" safely.

I then took it outside (Power-cycled both "H" and controller) and proceeded with my other test.

I installed the Real Sense last night. Went to the Wharehouse this morning, turned off GPS in the calibration settings, and flew in Angle Mode. The ST 16 showed IPS was active.
This thing was completely stable, and did not move an inch when it hovered. Very smooth. I got some really good footage, and only made one filming mistake when I forgot near the end to switch camera modes after looking down in to a Trench. So I got a few seconds of floor, lol, before I switch back to f mode.

Also, just learning about Real Sense. When testing the model inside and on a bench, if I flip obstacle avoidance on, it says OBS unavailable. Does this have to be up in the air, GPS on, and in smart mode or something? I am assuming yes, and I have not had time to test it outside yet to see if OBS needs to be in a particular mode or something first.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that we had to leave GPS "ON". In my test, it was left on, and showed IPS. I am now wondering if I need to turn it off. That's why I received the calibration error and such..

From what was said above, OA needs to be off while flying indoors. I experienced that same behavior. When you see IPS active, it's using the sensors from RealSense to keep it stable.

You can turn on OA while in all modes (Smart, Angle, and RTH.). It's documented before you initiate RTH, to turn off OA, initiate RTH, and then turn on OA. Maybe why I received the OA error is due to only having the ability to hover a few feet off the ground and I kept my landing gear down (For emergency landing).

@Tree, was your landing gear up? What height were you hovering at?

Looks like I need to do some more testing in my garage with GPS off to see if that helps. When I made any lateral movement, it was very jerky (Even in turtle mode), and it did drift at times that I had to compensate for.

I was under the impression that we had to leave GPS "ON". In my test, it was left on, and showed IPS. I am now wondering if I need to turn it off. That's why I received the calibration error and such..

From what was said above, OA needs to be off while flying indoors. I experienced that same behavior. When you see IPS active, it's using the sensors from RealSense to keep it stable.

You can turn on OA while in all modes (Smart, Angle, and RTH.). It's documented before you initiate RTH, to turn off OA, initiate RTH, and then turn on OA. Maybe why I received the OA error is due to only having the ability to hover a few feet off the ground and I kept my landing gear down (For emergency landing).

@Tree, was your landing gear up? What height were you hovering at?

Looks like I need to do some more testing in my garage with GPS off to see if that helps. When I made any lateral movement, it was very jerky (Even in turtle mode), and it did drift at times that I had to compensate for.

I did some research on Indoor Flying before I even tried to fly indoors, and even then the first time I tried, I forgot to turn off GPS, and this was before I had my RealSense installed. **** thing took off like an angry bird sideways at full speed along the floor. Luckily I was ready and cut the power immediately. Disaster averted.

I am new to the Typhoon H. But after I installed my RealSense, I went back to this 175,000 sq foot ware house where I am going to be filming, turned GPS off, was able to start the rotors indoors, noted that IPS was active, and crossed my fingers and lifted off.

The Typhoon hovered perfectly and did not move an inch. The only issue I had was about 20 feet up, when I went over by the docks and these industrial heaters kicked on and were blowing a healthy gust at my bird.

But that only moved it just a bit. So in my opinion the IPS works really great.

I have not tested Obstacle Avoidance, but this is North East Ohio, and I prefer to do something like that outside when the weather breaks. From what I have learned the last couple days, OA is strictly for outside.

So here is my advice from a Novice using a Typhoon H and flying indoors.

Make sure in settings you have RealSense checked as installed.
I had my Typhoon in Advanced Mode On.
I then went Home to the Flight Screen, and then went to Calibration settings and turned GPS off.
I had OBS toggled off on the ST 16.
I had The Typhoon in Angle Mode.
I had the Typhoon in Turtle Mode.

The Typhoon flew perfectly indoors, and I was impressed with it's stability.

It was flipping stressful as **** though flying indoors, and trusting everything I read, and some of what I learned on here.

But I think OBS off, GPS off, and making sure you see the ST 16 show IPS active, and you are ready to fly indoors.

I am not even sure you can start the rotors if you don't have things set up right.

Last edited:
That's great information. I am wondering now when I had GPS on, that was causing the jerky movement/wandering. When I received my calibrate compass warning, that's when it started acting up where I had to compensate to keep it stable.

Indoors with GPS the system is trying to hold a location/position it has nothing to reference with. As has been mentioned before, even if you see a satellite count in the displays none of the information they are broadcasting is usable and only serves to confuse the flight controller. Anything solid will disrupt a GPS signal. No matter how much you want it to, GPS is not going to compensate for lack if flying skills when inside of a building, but it may well exacerbate the situation.

That's great information. I am wondering now when I had GPS on, that was causing the jerky movement/wandering. When I received my calibrate compass warning, that's when it started acting up where I had to compensate to keep it stable.

Like I said, I am a novice with a Typhoon and ST 16, but my advice is, because I just did this, this AM at 7:30.

You should have set that down as soon as you saw a Compass Warning.

Then you should have taken some time to calibrate your compass. Do it without any metal on you, away from circuit breaker boxes, or anything metalic, and out in an open area, on flat ground.
The procedure is on your SD card in the form of a video.

After that is successful, turn off GPS, turn off OBS, make sure in your settings that RealSense box is checked as installed.
Put the Typhoon in Angle Mode, and Turtle Mode.
And do not lift off, unless you see IPS active.

This is exactly the steps I took in a huge *** warehouse with little to no GPS signal, and The Typhoon flew flawlessly.

Reactions: Guest22
Indoors with GPS the system is trying to hold a location/position it has nothing to reference with. As has been mentioned before, even if you see a satellite count in the displays none of the information they are broadcasting is usable and only serves to confuse the flight controller. Anything solid will disrupt a GPS signal. No matter how much you want it to, GPS is not going to compensate for lack if flying skills when inside of a building, but it may well exacerbate the situation.

The bird does not know where it is when inside a building and does not have enough satellites to triangulate it's position.
And I can pretty much guarantee that The Metric in the Flight Logic and Programming in a GPS Drone gives Priority to GPS first, and overrides all other Location\Position systems.

Inside you might be able to lift off with enough GPS to be stable, but fly under a crane, or girder, and your bird will go nutz, and out of control, and because you are flying indoors, and OBS doesn't work apparently without a sat link to compliment it, you have little time to react to an out of control drone.

Just turn GPS off and use IPS, It works really good and was designed for this type of flying.
Just my humble opinion.

And I am loving this Typhoon H the more and more I get used to it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval