Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Jerky and unstable Typhoon H Pro - need your comments

Reaction score
I am en experienced aircraft pilot and have gotten into drones about a year ago. I have had a Phantom 3 and now have a Phantom 4, 4 Professional Plus, the Typhoon H Pro and several Parrot drones including Disco.

I have my Typhoon for about 3 month. From the get go, after all calibrations etc, my Typhoon H Pro does not hold a "place" with stability. Despite appropriate satellite reception, it drifts around from about 1 foot to 3 feet. Also, when I initiate a move left, right forward, back, even with just a wisker of a stick move, it jerks into the move. I have it in turtle mode, Angle. I've tried almost everything. Wind not a factor. I even tried having it hover over a round table with blatant markings so vision positioning would help. It did not help. Same drift.

I have sent it back to Yuneec twice, just getting it back 2 days ago. The returned drone has no difference in this issue.

I am comparing the Typhoon H Pro that I have to what I experience on the same day, same place with my Phantom 4s. They are ROCK STEADY and can stealthily "sneak" or creep in any direction, 1/2 inch my 1/2 inch. SO I think that I should not having the results I see with the Typhoon H Pro.

Comments ? (Thanks)

Have you tried another location? I also turn off my cellphone wifi and bluetooth.

My very first flights were in a different area, with cell phone in my pocket but I was so "scared" about 1 flights and "getting to know you, bird", I didn't notice. Will try that soon. Thanks for the response and suggestion.

I also use an Android app to watch the RF noise from the sun. I am also into HAM radios. It will block the GPS signal.

I'm curious as to what Yuneec said each time it was returned to you. What did they say they did to resolve the issue?

I am en experienced aircraft pilot and have gotten into drones about a year ago. I have had a Phantom 3 and now have a Phantom 4, 4 Professional Plus, the Typhoon H Pro and several Parrot drones including Disco.

I have my Typhoon for about 3 month. From the get go, after all calibrations etc, my Typhoon H Pro does not hold a "place" with stability. Despite appropriate satellite reception, it drifts around from about 1 foot to 3 feet. Also, when I initiate a move left, right forward, back, even with just a wisker of a stick move, it jerks into the move. I have it in turtle mode, Angle. I've tried almost everything. Wind not a factor. I even tried having it hover over a round table with blatant markings so vision positioning would help. It did not help. Same drift.

I have sent it back to Yuneec twice, just getting it back 2 days ago. The returned drone has no difference in this issue.

I am comparing the Typhoon H Pro that I have to what I experience on the same day, same place with my Phantom 4s. They are ROCK STEADY and can stealthily "sneak" or creep in any direction, 1/2 inch my 1/2 inch. SO I think that I should not having the results I see with the Typhoon H Pro.

Comments ? (Thanks)
That twitchyness when making slow simple moves is a flaw. Mine does the same thing. Its really annoying. Im thinking by changing the expos in the controller maybe it can be tweaked out.

Bill W.

Are you in Rabbit (high rate) or Turtle (low rate)? In Rabbit mode with latest firmware it will want to move quickly to any stick input. However your camera will dampen out the jerks so you will not see them in the video. In Turtle mode I find it to be silky smooth on the sticks. One of the tricks I have found is to start a move in Turtle mode, and while holding the stick input, I move the rate slider higher.
In a hover, it should pretty well stay put, When I got mine back from Yuneec the last time, one of my checks was to just let it hover for 5 minutes. Give or take about 1 to 1.5 feet it stayed where I put it. Some drift is to be expected as she responds to wind and pressure changes. If you are getting more than that you could have an issue with the GPS or other sensors.

Reactions: ChipB
In Angle Mode, GPS on and locked with 12-20 Sats, hovering at 15' or 20' without touching sticks, regardless of wind, the H's will slowly drift vertically and horizontally inside a "box" of several feet to several yards, depending on the GPS resolution and Barometric Pressure changes.

Some owners want the sticks very responsive, others do not want them twitchy.

If a drone is nothing but a continual source of aggravation rather than being a joy to fly, the obvious thing is to sell or trade it and fly what you like.
Our sister Phantom Forum will be happy to have you join them.
DJI Phantom Drone Forum

UPDATE: My bad, I see you're already a member there. Good luck with your business.

Last edited by a moderator:
My H stays in one spot when I shoot a double layer 360 pano, in Angle mode. 18 pictures taken in 4-5mph winds.

Attachments

• tinyglobe.jpg
    tinyglobe.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 39
My H stays in one spot when I shoot a double layer 360 pano, in Angle mode. 18 pictures taken in 4-5mph winds.
It does seem to hold well when taking the 18 pics. But when i took some video it was moving a lot.

This is fast forward and shows its movment while hovering

Bill W.

I can check my wind at ground level at my house.

46582636d0c07178f771527a1876eb1c.jpg

Comments ? (Thanks)

Drifting a foot or two is pretty good for any drone. My Typhoon H drifts now and then at low altitudes but I just snap it back in place and then it behaves (it's not a concern to me at all). You'll never get the Typhoon H to behave like the Phantom & vice versa.

I'm wondering if the jerking motion you speak of is what some would consider normal. Since the craft has six blades and can look long with the landing gear down, it will look as if there is more tilt movement than a Phantom 4 would give when moving in any horizontal direction. Of course, once you are flying in any direction all should be smooth until you stop or abruptly change direction.

Check out the two photos below. These are snapshots taken from a video I was putting together on a fun day flying. In the first one with the Typhoon H, you would think it was moving to the right, but actually I was slowly moving it to the left and when I released the sticks it tilts in the opposite direction for a fraction of a second to stop all movement. The photo of the Phantom 4 Pro is exactly the same but I moved it in the opposite direction... I moved the Phantom 4 Pro slowly coming in from the left and then released all sticks.... it tilts very little and tends to control itself differently than the Typhoon H (possibly due to weight, size, balance points & having only 4 very large blades). The Phantom 4 Pro does not have the appearance of jerky movements at slow speed.

TYPHOON H.jpg

PHANTOM4PRO.jpg

Reactions: Cellfreak
As Ray said it's normal to drift within a box of several feet in any direction, still we have come a long way with GPS loiter accuracy.

My H does not have IPS so I cannot comment on it's performance; however, on a calm day the P4's VPS does an excellent job holding position exceeding any GPS hold drone I own.

When the wind kicks up it's a different story. Angled over VPS does no good and the P4's internal barometer is a fail. In bad weather the H is my drone of choice, in mild weather it's tough to beat the P4 when VPS is in range.

I'm curious as to what Yuneec said each time it was returned to you. What did they say they did to resolve the issue?
They don't "say" anything. They sent it back (twice) with a report that they checked it out and inspected everything. (no charge, including shipping both ways). This time I will call and ask for a senior supervisor. I am flying it a few times to check it out. I just came back with my Phantom 4 to verify its stability and it's stable to the inch and goes move "gently" when I ask it to. I'll keep everyone posted on this.

As Ray said it's normal to drift within a box of several feet in any direction, still we have come a long way with GPS loiter accuracy.

My H does not have IPS so I cannot comment on it's performance; however, on a calm day the P4's VPS does an excellent job holding position exceeding any GPS hold drone I own.

When the wind kicks up it's a different story. Angled over VPS does no good and the P4's internal barometer is a fail. In bad weather the H is my drone of choice, in mild weather it's tough to beat the P4 when VPS is in range.

Thanks for the reply ! And info. I've never flown in more than 12 mph winds so I can't compare THAT but when I check the drift, it's at 3 feet our so. I do a lot of low flying for real estate shots. And you're right, the Typhoon H Pro wanders around a 3 foot-or-so box. That's just not acceptable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval