Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Longer flight times by different Prop's ?

Reaction score
Just throwing it out there, would it be possible if someone or Yuneec came up with a larger pitched prop that this would allow longer flight times.
I would guess that the motors are current props are chosen on a balance of rpm and power for a balance of agility and flight endurance.
If we had a larger pitched prop, and if an adjustment to the max power given to the motors (maybe by the ST16 or a FW) was made so as not to burn out the motors or cause too much stress on the larger props themselves, could we have an alternative way for longer flight times...?
I would see this if it could work as having two sets of props, one set (the original ones) for normal and windy conditions, and a larger pitched set for calm days and slower flying but longer flights ?

It'd be nice to have those collapsible props so we wouldn't have to remove them but alas we'll have to wait for the Typhoon Havoc for that option:)

I like the direction your thinking, how about the ability to disable the 2 side motors from the controller?
You could effectively cut your power consumption by 1/3rd plus the parasitic loads of the flight controller and fans.
Perhaps quad-mode could be use for slow ascents and descents and fixed low-wind hovering positions.
Hex-mode could be used for faster ascents and descents and high-wind hovering positions.
New flight control firmware would have to be written to control the stabilization in quad mode as well as to disable the motors and the map the operator switch on the ST16.
This could be an easy SW improvement for Yuneec to do as it seems no hardware modifications would seemingly be needed.
This would also breathe new life into the Hex-copter as it would provide a clear competitive advantage over quads.

Increased pitch could wipe out any savings in battery consumption. Decreasing the pitch and keeping your thumbs out of the throttle might help. But you will need to hoover so this would only help during transitional flight.

Increased pitch could wipe out any savings in battery consumption. Decreasing the pitch and keeping your thumbs out of the throttle might help. But you will need to hoover so this would only help during transitional flight.
Ah ha, that makes sense, but what if the the motors turned slower, this would then be offset by the extra resistance ended to push them, that's how it would work?...now I see why this thread has only had a few replies, must seem daft right off the bat to someone who understands the aero dynamics of props )

Props are funny things, and using them as we do gets complicated since we have no lifting surfaces other than props. In general, more thrust is obtained with lower pitch while more speed is obtained with higher pitch. In theory we should be able to obtain more thrust for lift with a lower pitch prop but the amp load might increase despite lower RPM and negate any potential increase in flight time. Better if we could increase diameter and reduce pitch but we don't have all that much tip separation now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: banned user
Ah ha, that makes sense, but what if the the motors turned slower, this would then be offset by the extra resistance ended to push them, that's how it would work?...now I see why this thread has only had a few replies, must seem daft right off the bat to someone who understands the aero dynamics of props )
There you go my friend.

Props are funny things, and using them as we do gets complicated since we have no lifting surfaces other than props. In general, more thrust is obtained with lower pitch while more speed is obtained with higher pitch. In theory we should be able to obtain more thrust for lift with a lower pitch prop but the amp load might increase despite lower RPM and negate any potential increase in flight time. Better if we could increase diameter and reduce pitch but we don't have all that much tip separation now.

I guess adding a 3rd or 4th prop on the same hub would also increase the amp loading? edit - i just wonder if there is a more suitable arrangement possible for longer flights at the expense of speed and agility. (clam weather days).
Synchronising larger props so they work in the space of the adjacent one - I guess in other aircraft that one has been tried before ?Lots of complicated FC coding need to get that one working, I could imaging the complexity to make small adjustments one prop and actively adjusting all other props to avoid "prop smash"

I guess adding a 3rd or 4th prop on the same hub would also increase the amp loading? edit - i just wonder if there is a more suitable arrangement possible for longer flights at the expense of speed and agility. (clam weather days).
Synchronising larger props so they work in the space of the adjacent one - I guess in other aircraft that one has been tried before ?Lots of complicated FC coding need to get that one working, I could imaging the complexity to make small adjustments one prop and actively adjusting all other props to avoid "prop smash"

It comes down to efficiency. In that a tricopter wins out with a quad running second. With the right flight controller it could shift from an X8 by shutting down a layer of props (this has been done) to become a quad but the load increases on the remaining operational motors making it more useful for disc area reduction in windy conditions but doing little for efficiency. A Y-6 could do the same but it must be a Y configuration.

Based solely on observations, without hooking up equipment to measure anything, my guess has the H just slightly higher in power for its weight, with electronics sized accordingly. Those that have flown with GPS off at high speeds have seen battery voltage under high load drop extremely fast, to see it pop back up again after returning to normal flight speeds. That indicates the motors are pulling near max amps and ESC's are running very close to peak amperage, if not at peak, and that our batteries can't tolerate amp loading that causes them to discharge at high C ratings. Nobody has mentioned checking motor and ESC temps afterwards. So I'm afraid it would require more than different props to get us more flight time. For now a higher capacity battery, up to a given weight, is prolly the best way to do it.

It comes down to efficiency. In that a tricopter wins out with a quad running second. With the right flight controller it could shift from an X8 by shutting down a layer of props (this has been done) to become a quad but the load increases on the remaining operational motors making it more useful for disc area reduction in windy conditions but doing little for efficiency. A Y-6 could do the same but it must be a Y configuration.

Based solely on observations, without hooking up equipment to measure anything, my guess has the H just slightly higher in power for its weight, with electronics sized accordingly. Those that have flown with GPS off at high speeds have seen battery voltage under high load drop extremely fast, to see it pop back up again after returning to normal flight speeds. That indicates the motors are pulling near max amps and ESC's are running very close to peak amperage, if not at peak, and that our batteries can't tolerate amp loading that causes them to discharge at high C ratings. Nobody has mentioned checking motor and ESC temps afterwards. So I'm afraid it would require more than different props to get us more flight time. For now a higher capacity battery, up to a given weight, is prolly the best way to do it.

Thanks

Interesting topic, here is what i tried with my Q500 4k, Standard Props lasted about 20-21 mins from a full change, but the drone fell from the sky, just stopped mid flight, I called yuneec who didn't seem to care was left very dissappointed, anyways that not the point of this post. So my drone crashed and I didn't have enough props, as a temporary solution, I repaired a couple and used duct tape making them a little longer and wider. all 4 props evenly size 3mm longer and 3mm wider at the widest point. Drone flew, it was faster, smoother, they also lasted about 26mins, the only downside was the added noise. New props came, hobby tiger carbon fibre, these were probably a little heavier and noisier than the standard, but I got around 23mins following the same course, I tried my crappy fix again 26mins. I then tried a distance test my track a local field perimeter, standard props did 35 rounds, carbon fibre went 41 but a little quicker, and my temp glue fix with duct tape 39 but faster still. I think there is definitely something good in having slightly larger props, if not for the noise. The above was all done in the same day with little wind. I hope folks may find this useful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariarussii11