Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My review of the Typhoon H now that it is 1 year old

Nice message CD. I have a question and a comment.

Question; why is you RC antenna stuck under the upper gimbal plate? That's probably not good for effective controls at distance.

Comment; We can obtain those cooling fans from Yuneec and install them ourselves if the system is out of warranty. Tools required are 1.5 and 2mm hex keys and a little care. The use a mini JST connector and plug into a receptacle inside the case. The downside of doing the repair ourselves is the grip pads on the ST-16 have to be pried off the back cover to access a couple of case screws on each side and that is pretty hard on the adhesive film that retains them. If you have access to double sided adhesive film it's not a problem but most don't so they need to consider alternative adhesive materials that won't be permanent or space the pads away from the case half.

Question; why is you RC antenna stuck under the upper gimbal plate? That's probably not good for effective controls at distance.

Comment; We can obtain those cooling fans from Yuneec and install them ourselves if the system is out of warranty. Tools required are 1.5 and 2mm hex keys and a little care. The use a mini JST connector and plug into a receptacle inside the case. The downside of doing the repair ourselves is the grip pads on the ST-16 have to be pried off the back cover to access a couple of case screws on each side and that is pretty hard on the adhesive film that retains them. If you have access to double sided adhesive film it's not a problem but most don't so they need to consider alternative adhesive materials that won't be permanent or space the pads away from the case half.
The solution for the sticky tape you are looking for is this. Window insulation kits, the ones that you use a hair dryer to remove the wrinkles from will work. The tape has no foam and is just thin and sticky. Here is a link to show what I mean. RONA in Canada, probably Lowes in the US Weatherstripping: Insulation and Window Film | RONA

Reactions: spongella

That is hilarious! I never noticed that one of my RC antenna's was stuck under the gimbal. Perhaps it's been that way for sometime since I last removed the gimbal. I usually don't fly farther than half a kilometer so never noticed an issue.

Yuneec has offered to replace my ST16 in the past, but since it's just a noise (mostly heard on cold winter days), I can live with it.

That is hilarious! I never noticed that one of my RC antenna's was stuck under the gimbal. Perhaps it's been that way for sometime since I last removed the gimbal. I usually don't fly farther than half a kilometer so never noticed an issue.

Yuneec has offered to replace my ST16 in the past, but since it's just a noise (mostly heard on cold winter days), I can live with it.
I have a few questions for you, seeing as you will understand the harsh environment I live in.....Saskatchewan.

You said you have flown in all sorts of weather.
1) Winter. How cold have you flown in?
2) Spring/summer/fall rain, damp, wet. How wet, did you fly in actual rain?

I just hate the fact that if I can find somewhere in this province that is not flat to fly, or one of the thousands of no fly zones we have here, I only have about 3 months I may be able to fly and want to extend that. So winter flights would be a bonus for me.

I have a few questions for you, seeing as you will understand the harsh environment I live in.....Saskatchewan.

You said you have flown in all sorts of weather.
1) Winter. How cold have you flown in?
2) Spring/summer/fall rain, damp, wet. How wet, did you fly in actual rain?

I just hate the fact that if I can find somewhere in this province that is not flat to fly, or one of the thousands of no fly zones we have here, I only have about 3 months I may be able to fly and want to extend that. So winter flights would be a bonus for me.

Hey Mr. "flat-lander" :)

I flew it over this past winter (some videos of this are on my channel). The coldest flown was one day where it was -19 Celcius. I can't include the windchill factor because that pretty much only affects objects that produce heat (like me... and I froze all winter!)

I flew it in all seasons. I've flown it in mist (through clouds... there is a video on my channel of this), and I flew it one day where it began to rain while the Typhoon was far from me (no video as I was not recording at the time). The rain seemed to have no effect on the ST16 or the Typhoon H. The Typhoon H was in the pouring rain for maybe 3 minutes of flight, and then another 2 minutes on the ground. I just wiped it down when I go home and laid it on its side overnight. Flew fine the next day.

You should have zero problems flying in the winter. Just keep your batteries warm (close to your skin if possible). In one recent video flying in the spring where the weather was near zero celcius the battery had acclimated to the surrounding air. I took off to film water and ice and within 5 minutes I received a low voltage warning and then the Typhoon H force landed itself due to a critically low battery. I've never had that problem before, however, in previous cases I always had the battery under my winter coat and close to my skin.

Safe flying!

Steve

Reactions: spongella
CD,

The antenna was probably trapped the last time you put the gimbal back on. Just slide the wire from under the gimbal:). Again, nice video.

Reactions: CAPTAINDRONE
Hey CD,
I can echo your experience. I have had one of mine for a year this month and it is my work horse, probably 140 + flights. I have 2 others that I bought from unhappy owners and both fly well. Nice video, thanks for taking the time.

Hey Mr. "flat-lander" :)

I flew it over this past winter (some videos of this are on my channel). The coldest flown was one day where it was -19 Celcius. I can't include the windchill factor because that pretty much only affects objects that produce heat (like me... and I froze all winter!)

I flew it in all seasons. I've flown it in mist (through clouds... there is a video on my channel of this), and I flew it one day where it began to rain while the Typhoon was far from me (no video as I was not recording at the time). The rain seemed to have no effect on the ST16 or the Typhoon H. The Typhoon H was in the pouring rain for maybe 3 minutes of flight, and then another 2 minutes on the ground. I just wiped it down when I go home and laid it on its side overnight. Flew fine the next day.

You should have zero problems flying in the winter. Just keep your batteries warm (close to your skin if possible). In one recent video flying in the spring where the weather was near zero celcius the battery had acclimated to the surrounding air. I took off to film water and ice and within 5 minutes I received a low voltage warning and then the Typhoon H force landed itself due to a critically low battery. I've never had that problem before, however, in previous cases I always had the battery under my winter coat and close to my skin.

Safe flying!

Steve
It's Mr Stubble Jumper to you! :D

That is what I was looking for. I have a warmer that I use for my video and DSLR batteries in the winter, so that should work out. I plan on doing a few -30C flights this winter when the hooker frost comes out. Short flights of 5 minutes, so the batteries should do well. Going to need to work on hand catch this summer though, wouldn't want anything to fracture from that temp.

Thanks
Murray

...<snip>...
It's easily done, Cpt. I was doing some maintenance on my H a couple of weeks ago just before doing a job on a farm and I noticed the exact same thing: An antenna had slipped under the gimbal. I've no idea how long it'd been there...probably since the last time I removed the camera. However I never noticed a loss of signal. Mind you, I always fly VLOS so probably never got far enough away.

Happy late Birthday Typhoon H! I received mine in May of 2016 and have been flying it along with many other drones. Here are my thoughts after 1 year.

Captin Drone...you mention "EU battery".. many times... is there a US and EU battery? What's the difference??

Good video idea, and great implementation as usual. Your videos are clear, to the point, and inspire all of us.:) Because you always "tell it like it is", your credibility is second to none, unlike many of the YouTube "Experts":eek:.

I ain't no spoilsport (just chicken!:rolleyes:), but I suggest that new owners not handcatch. I know it's your thing and that's fine.

Best wishes for ANOTHER good year. Have you named that TH? My first, an early RS model named Wendy, will b-day in July.
:):):)

Nice video! My YTH is also one year old and I have added Realsense to it. Fantastic drone. I have also flown it in various weather conditions (-10 Celcius also). I have had a few issues including a serious crash caused by power failure, but every time my drone has been fixed fast and for free.

@CaptianDrone

Have seen a couple of your videos, but this one was great!! I have been lurking on this forum for some time now. See "Lurking" in introductions. I am trying to figure out if the TH is for me or do I need to wait on the 520. I want to be able to use a zoom camera. Something around 8 or 10x I also want to do thermal imaging. I'm not sure if the CGO-ET would fit the bill. I would like to do roof inspections and solar panels. At 160X120 resolution the CGO-ET may not be very clear at 100 ft. I also want to do cell tower inspections, hence the zoom. Do you think the H would be alright around a cell tower if I was to stay out 20 to 25 ft.? I still have a lot of questions but I am beginning to see I really need a Yuneec. Seems to be a great forum here. Wish I would have found this before I bought the Inspire2.

Mine also has a year, a test this winter:

Really, really good.

The sharpness and detail are excellent. It seems sharper then what I get, although with your scene the contrast is very high and with the sun you are getting a great signal to noise ratio. Pans hold a subject which lends to the effective sharpness as you watch. But still, really sharp.

Awesome exposure, highlights are spot on.

The cuts, videography regarding the scope and scene are terrific.

Really well done.

Will shoot my anniversary at the end of July. Hope to match yours!

Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval