Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Drone, new camera? ION L1 Pro For Yuneec H3

A couple of new questions about the camera after reading this ad.....

User-defined image mode and focus settings, lossless digital zoom and superior image quality..... ?????

Reactions: Rubik
Ron, I am guessing that is one of those language things, and what it likely means is the user can set the amount of sharpening. If you remember we all told anyone who would listen that the JPG's from the Plus were over sharpened. I think with the 'User Defined' image mode we'll also get the chance to tune the sharpening to our liking. But hey, who knows. ;)

Reactions: LinsonW and rdonson
Ron, I am guessing that is one of those language things, and what it likely means is the user can set the amount of sharpening. If you remember we all told anyone who would listen that the JPG's from the Plus were over sharpened. I think with the 'User Defined' image mode we'll also get the chance to tune the sharpening to our liking. But hey, who knows. ;)

Pat, I really appreciate your optimism and sense of humor.

Personally, I won’t even consider buying any drone lacking pre flight programmable waypoint capability. I can’t justify spending money on anything that is 7 or more years behind in common drone industry technology as soon as it hits the market.

I got a kick out of the focus options. Does that mean we get to choose between full focus, soft focus, fuzzy one side, fuzzy top or bottom, fuzzy center, semi curved horizon, significantly curved horizon, or some other special focus feature not yet thought of?

Reactions: JackMTaco and Rubik
Marketing only, but no significant evolution, we are in the era of smartphones: seduce first, you will understand later that it is necessary to wait 6 months, as our world of over-consumption ...

Marketing only, but no significant evolution, we are in the era of smartphones: seduce first, you will understand later that it is necessary to wait 6 months, as our world of over-consumption ...
Smartphones are hardly revolutionary , there's no killer features, they've pretty much done all they can, with every model it seems to be getting smaller the jump up, battery, processor and screen seem to be the most concentrated feature to improve.

Smartphones are hardly revolutionary , there's no killer features, they've pretty much done all they can, with every model it seems to be getting smaller the jump up, battery, processor and screen seem to be the most concentrated feature to improve.

I humbly disagree. We are just entering a new age called computational photography. Look no further than the new Apple iPhone 11 Pro. A tiny sensor with 3 lenses that delivers amazing results thanks to computer processing, AI, etc.

Computational photography is also applied to several Adobe products and other companies who also offer photography and video processing applications.

The game is afoot!

I humbly disagree. We are just entering a new age called computational photography. Look no further than the new Apple iPhone 11 Pro. A tiny sensor with 3 lenses that delivers amazing results thanks to computer processing, AI, etc.

Computational photography is also applied to several Adobe products and other companies who also offer photography and video processing applications.

The game is afoot!
Agree. Just look at the new Google Pixel 4 that benefits from machine learning (of all things)! Cell phone cameras seem to be getting the most development of any type of camera at this time.

....and desktop apps like Luminar 4 promise to greatly reduce the time to manipulate stills for people not steeped in the latest Photoshop....

Last edited:
Indeed, the game is well underway to turn the cell phone into a multipurpose pocket tool intended to replace tablets and laptops in many areas. Because of the constantly expanding versatility it has already become a critical component of the daily work place. They have gone well beyond talk, text, and pictures won’t be slowing down any time soon.

The game is afoot!
It's always been able to take photos, calls texts etc. Like a car just slowly improved, nothing major, like a car can't fly yet. I haven't seen a phone which well outperform a 500mm f4 on a Nikon D850 yet. I wouldn't personally want it to replace my PC, I suspect my photo PC still outperforms a smartphone. Your smartphone 3 or 4 years ago still can still perform, especially high end models. If your paying the same price of what a PC or tablet then I'd pick the dedicated tablet or PC.

Reactions: Adamg1180
@Mrgs1 I'm not suggesting any smart phone will can or will compete with a Nikon D850 with 500mm f/4 or replace any high end digital camera be it a M4/3, APS-C, 35mm or medium format. I'm certain I won't be replacing my digital cameras with my smart phone. That's not my stance.

Consider the advances in digital photography itself over the last 3 or 4 years. Nikon, Canon, etc. have smelled the flowers and realized that a flip up mirror on a DSLR really isn't necessary anymore. Mirrorless is the way forward for most. Look at the new features that have been added over the last 3-4 years as well. Focus bracketing used to be a pain to do in many situations. Now I just select the option in the menu and away it goes.

My iPhone from 4 years ago can't hold a candle to my newer iPhone XR or the even newer iPhone 11 Pro. These amazing smart phones produce amazing imagery because of computational photography. I'm suggesting that over the next few years that computational photography and videography will be the norm for small sensor drones and that they will then provide more options and better imagery than we have today.

I don't know anyone who wants to see if they can go aloft with a drone and a Nikon D850 with a 500mm f/4.

@Mrgs1 I'm not suggesting any smart phone will can or will compete with a Nikon D850 with 500mm f/4 or replace any high end digital camera be it a M4/3, APS-C, 35mm or medium format. I'm certain I won't be replacing my digital cameras with my smart phone. That's not my stance.

Consider the advances in digital photography itself over the last 3 or 4 years. Nikon, Canon, etc. have smelled the flowers and realized that a flip up mirror on a DSLR really isn't necessary anymore. Mirrorless is the way forward for most. Look at the new features that have been added over the last 3-4 years as well. Focus bracketing used to be a pain to do in many situations. Now I just select the option in the menu and away it goes.

My iPhone from 4 years ago can't hold a candle to my newer iPhone XR or the even newer iPhone 11 Pro. These amazing smart phones produce amazing imagery because of computational photography. I'm suggesting that over the next few years that computational photography and videography will be the norm for small sensor drones and that they will then provide more options and better imagery than we have today.

I don't know anyone who wants to see if they can go aloft with a drone and a Nikon D850 with a 500mm f/4.
Advancement or Jst going in a side direction, the photo will still be same, and probably the same quality, high end DSLR can last shutter wise over 400,000 actuations, and many pro have had way over that. Mirrorless has some advantages of course. My HTC One still is a very competent phone, a few gimmicks on the newer HTC models, what was the Samsung folding screen which reviewers broken, wireless charging, I can use a cable, won't make any difference to me, and the average social media type photography doesn't require anythingthat a camera phone say 2 or years ago can do, except for putting gunning ears on the picture. I was just saying the fundamentally do the same thing just a bit faster, smoother etc, a few more apps which join up a few more dots.

Yet in reality many fly drones every day with Canon Lumix, Sony, Red, Arri, using various fixed and zoom lenses, and a slew of extremely expensive payloads affixed. Many of those mentioned are considerably more expensive, and more advanced, than the Nikon 850. They don’t have to “see” in they can as they know they can, and will continue to do.

Although the cost is high the desired product demands the investment. Those willing to pay it understand that reward carries risk, but the risk is not any higher than with consumer stuff. It may actually be less risk as the drones are much better in design and assembly.

Yes, there are a lot of commercial pilots who have custom built drones. I don't know of any enthusiasts with consumer drones contemplating those kind of rigs. I should have been clearer. I just don't know any commercial pilots here and none of consumer/enthusiast pilots are looking to go aloft with big camera rigs.

That said, it doesn't really alter the fact that computational photography is here and will only get more powerful and useful.

There are at least two members here, perhaps more, that employ both consumer and custom cinema level drones in their endeavors. My point was we should not limit or abilities by restricting our thinking to a consumer price point.

As to your perception of continuous expansion of computer augmented photography, I totally agree with you. I even think there will come a time photography will end up divided into two camps; the “purist” camp where everything is done at or through the camera and the “CGI” camp where digital augmentation is the dominant form of creativity.

......I even think there will come a time photography will end up divided into two camps; the “purist” camp where everything is done at or through the camera and the “CGI” camp where digital augmentation is the dominant form of creativity.......

Its already here....there are lots of people who specialize in taking mediocre images and ‘shopping the livin **** out of them. Heck, most of the “amazing” images you see anymore are 75% generated. Most of what’s left for the “purist” is Nat Geo type stuff and Photojournalism, where there are very strict rules for image modification.

You’re right, Pat, about limiting things to consumer price points.

I’m new to drones (~3 years) and I’m not interested in the commercial aspects.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430