Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Drone, new camera? ION L1 Pro For Yuneec H3

Yes if this is true i will gladly take back my comments.. It sound great! And if so i would surely think of buying one next to my plus..
Looks like a few are going to have to eat humble pie!
But then again they said C23 was going to be available for the H480 too!

Reactions: JackMTaco
Wenyan Jiang is an incredible accomplished person. She really is making a positive effort with the H3. Yuneec is severely hamstrung both in marketing, and research and development.

Funny you mention that. If she is the one in charge of the company and making final decisions, who might it be that hamstrung the company? That has to be considered when assessing the statements made in the interview. We also have to discount influences of regional CEO’s. Decisions are made at the top executive level.

We have to ask the questions; does she recognize the mistakes made in the past and is she taking the steps necessary to assure they won’t be repeated? Lessons experienced and lessons learned well enough not to repeat them are completely different things.

That’s quite important as they shift focus from consumer level to commercial level products. If consumer level products will not function as advertised, what will provide commercial level customers the confidence needed to buy more expensive products for their businesses?

Using Ford for an analogy, they make products to fit most every use category, each at progressively higher price points. Keeping them in business is the fact they all work as advertised.

I did like her mention of shifting payload development to companies that specialize in such equipment. That was suggested a long time ago.

Last edited:
Leica is a well regarded company. Given the dearth of information it’s possible that their involvement is limited to the software for processing the images from the sensor and getting the most from the sensor. That’s not a bad thing and might really move the needle for quality of 1” drone cameras. Imagine a drone sported a 1” sensor that could produce images rivaling a Sony RX100.

Only time will tell.
After reading the marketing strategy for the H3, it looks like us recreational flyers (amateur aerial videographers) are not their target market. It seems to be all about the image quality required by professional photographers.
And, yes, I'm continually impressed with the image quality from my little RX100. From the images shown in the German video, the Ion L1 camera might be as good (or better?).

In that video one of the Yuneec guys specifically mentioned "invested amateurs and pro-sumers" but in the end anyone can buy one. What they do with it is entirely up to them. The RX100 is a great camera and I was going to get one when it's competition (Panasonic Lumix LX10) just had more of what I wanted. In a side by side with the Plus footage the better lens of the LX shines and I suspect it will be the same with the RX vs Ion.

Yeah, looks like the H3 is an H+ with a new camera. That’s fine....the H+ is a fine aircraft......but it does need a more solid, reliable communications system.

I had gotten used to the little quirks flying the H+....the momentary drops if a tree or something got between you.... the sudden loss if it was a bit far out....then I started flying my M2P with OcuSync....wow! What a difference. I know it’s not popular to say on a Yuneec forum, but seriously guys, OcuSync is so much better it’s laughable. That’s not to say I don’t fly the H+....I still do, and like it.

If the difference between the H+ aircraft and the H3 aircraft remains nominal, I might upgrade the camera rather than buy a whole new bird....depending on the price difference.

That’s something most don’t realize. If they were willing to give up the transmitter display screen they could refit their aircraft, be it H, H+, 520, or 920 with non Yuneec components and increase performance in virtually all aspects by a vast amount.

The airframe does not need to be restricted to proprietary components as they can fly with anything that can be fit, adapted, and remain within weight limitations. But people are willing to give up almost anything for convenience and esthetics.

Last edited:
That’s something most don’t realize. If they were willing to give up the transmitter display screen they could refit their aircraft, be it H, H+, 520, or 920 with non Yuneec components and increase performance in virtually all aspects by a vast amount.

The airframe does not need to be restricted to proprietary components as they can fly with anything that can be fit, adapted, and remain within weight limitations. But people are willing to give up almost anything for convenience and esthetics.

That is when custom built drones come in.

Yeah, looks like the H3 is an H+ with a new camera. That’s fine....the H+ is a fine aircraft......but it does need a more solid, reliable communications system.

I had gotten used to the little quirks flying the H+....the momentary drops if a tree or something got between you.... the sudden loss if it was a bit far out....then I started flying my M2P with OcuSync....wow! What a difference. I know it’s not popular to say on a Yuneec forum, but seriously guys, OcuSync is so much better it’s laughable. That’s not to say I don’t fly the H+....I still do, and like it.

If the difference between the H+ aircraft and the H3 aircraft remains nominal, I might upgrade the camera rather than buy a whole new bird....depending on the price difference.
So you when you lose video it's only for a short period of time a few seconds not like up-to 2 minutes before you get a picture back on the screen?

Who knows? Once it hits the streets we’ll find out what, if anything, is “broken” and what we’ll need to do to “fix it”.

It’s still using WiFi though, and we know that WiFi has limitations.

That is when custom built drones come in.

Once any consumer drone is modified in any way it becomes a “custom built” to one level or another. The only thing in question is whether the change made it better or worse. That’s where things get muddied as what’s great for one might be seen as bad by others.

Reactions: Adamg1180
Who knows? Once it hits the streets we’ll find out what, if anything, is “broken” and what we’ll need to do to “fix it”.

It’s still using WiFi though, and we know that WiFi has limitations.
Should be less of a problem for you guys though!

Looks like this thread is growing cold, I guess we will have to wait and see this new camera.
Seriously though, I’m excited to see what it brings and hope Yuneec uses this to build off of!

Looks like this thread is growing cold, I guess we will have to wait and see this new camera.
Seriously though, I’m excited to see what it brings and hope Yuneec uses this to build off of!
It will until it's reviewed and is available to buy, at the moment everyone is just an armchair critic, good or bad will know soon enough, let's hope it's a positive step forward.

.......Looks like this thread is growing cold........

Part of it....and also they moved it to the new forum and perhaps some lost track. I didn't notice the new H3 forums until today.

I've been trying to decide just who this new H3 is aimed at.......

I "think".....that it's a pretty unique position. Say you want a platform with the capability and reliability of an Inspire, and a camera that is very similar to the L1D-20C (Mavic 2 Pro). Inspire2 with X5S is overkill and too expensive. The Inspire 1 with X3 isn't up to snuff, X4 won't work on I1, and both I1 and P4 are on the way out anyway. So, there's a gap between the Mavic 2 Pro and the Inspire 2/X5S kit.....

In steps the H3......an sUAS with the "grunt" of an Inspire and a camera that's better than the X4 and can hold it's own with the L1D-20C. So, if you're needing a bit more then the M2P but not quite to the I2/X5S level.....the H3 just may be your bird.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech