Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Drone, new camera? ION L1 Pro For Yuneec H3

I just love all the negativity. A new model announced, no one has flown it yet, and it is deemed garbage either by price, rip-off, “oh poor me I just bought the previous model”. Nothing is known for sure, just speculation.

I, for one, am looking forward to real reviews.

Did no one else notice some of the specs posted by one of our members? Seems some wants have been covered: 1” sensor, and ability to record dng (raw) without the sidecar jpg.

Noticed that using this small screen iPhone 7, which has been supplanted by what, at least three major new models? Guess I better throw it away rather than be seen using it.

I’m keeping my H480’s, H520, Mantis Q. May add an H3 if it fits my needs. All depends on what the real stories say.

Still having fun, and anticipating more speculating banter.

[emoji41]

Jeff

Thanks. There is discussion in board before if H user want to invest more than $1000 to upgrade CGO3+ to C23, most pilots relay "not necessary", then I think it's also doubtful H+ user will spend more than $1000 to upgrade C23 to L1.
Ok, it would still be a nice option, if the C23 was available for the H at an affordable price ($599 would be an optimal price) I would strongly consider purchasing it.
Look at it like this, a good DSLR or mirrorless body can be had for $500-800, so why can’t we purchase the C23 for that amount?

The H Plus operates on a completely different software than the 480 so it is likely not actually possible to get a C23 to interface with the 480/ST-16 without modifications. As to the cost, I think the production runs of something like mid level Canon or Nikon DSLR would dwarf those of the C23 and thus cost to produce would be higher. In any case a manufacture like Yuneec has to look at their costs and their available market and makes a 'go/no-go' call as to whether or not it will be economically viable. They (Yuneec) did and decided not to proceed. I am guessing they will do a similar look at the L1/Plus possibilities and make a decision as to that, but that will be way down the road.

Hahaha! Just because there an additional safety mechanism doesn't mean everyone is going to heed the indicator, ....or even notice it!
I can see the first post already: "My Battery Engage Error Indicator on my new H3 won't go out, and I can't start the motors! How do I defeat it so I can fly?":rolleyes:
People are speculating on there being an electronic sensing system, it could be just something mechanical like a secondary mechanical action to release the battery from the compartment.

Reactions: Mostbestus
I just love all the negativity. A new model announced, no one has flown it yet, and it is deemed garbage either by price, rip-off, “oh poor me I just bought the previous model”. Nothing is known for sure, just speculation.

Did no one else notice some of the specs posted by one of our members? Seems some wants have been covered: 1” sensor, and ability to record dng (raw) without the sidecar jpg.

Noticed that using this small screen iPhone 7, which has been supplanted by what, at least three major new models? Guess I better throw it away rather than be seen using it.

I’m keeping my H480’s, H520, Mantis Q. May add an H3 if it fits my needs. All depends on what the real stories say.

Still having fun, and anticipating more speculating banter.

[emoji41]

Jeff
A few months ago a lot were saying "Yuneec are finished nothing new for 12 months or more" . Now they've brought out 2 models and lots of collaboration for different systems!

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Yuneec-Leica press release.

Not any more than we already know but Mickeyboo nailed it with his reference to old names for rich, old money camera buyers. Leica is not anywhere close to being on the cutting edge of digital image technology and realistically they have been living off of a reputation that has been on the wane since the end of WWII. They’ve only just recently started exploring the world of mirrorless cameras, an area where Sony dominates all other camera manufacturers. Shoot, most of the camera manufacturers have been using Sony sensors for some time now.

Did no one else notice some of the specs posted by one of our members?

Jeff

Jeff,

If and when Yuneec wants to inject some enthusiasm in a new product release they’ll have to do do a bit better. Saying they’re releasing another H model to carry an old brand name camera, a brand with no history of miniaturization, with no mention of automated or programmed flight features just doesn’t tell anyone anything they need to know to qualify the product. If Yuneec has yet to figure all that out how can a buyer?

I did look at the specs and noticed what appears to be 5k video in 3/2 and 16/9. For those shooting those formats I wonder how their post programs are going to deal with it.

Good to see they’ve included a B&W format but that makes sense as that’s where Leica developed their reputation.

I noticed max speed at 20m/s, making it slower than an H-480.

Still using WiFi and an HDMI cable. That’s a cryin’ shame as it places a tremendous burden on operators with customers demanding remote or multiple image observation. That’s a significant negative with LEA, FD, intel, and SAR agencies. If you can’t multiport the output you go to the back of the line.

The camera thermal limits are, IMO, too low on the high end but good at the low end

Apparently the race for 6k and 8k video is on. Too bad nobody can play it...

Last edited:
The H Plus operates on a completely different software than the 480 so it is likely not actually possible to get a C23 to interface with the 480/ST-16 without modifications. As to the cost, I think the production runs of something like mid level Canon or Nikon DSLR would dwarf those of the C23 and thus cost to produce would be higher. In any case a manufacture like Yuneec has to look at their costs and their available market and makes a 'go/no-go' call as to whether or not it will be economically viable. They (Yuneec) did and decided not to proceed. I am guessing they will do a similar look at the L1/Plus possibilities and make a decision as to that, but that will be way down the road.
I wouldn't say the TH & TH+ operate on "completely different software". The core forebears/software is the same for both models.. and, in all likelihood, will be the same for the H3. However, there are minor differences made for each model, this the reason there are different forebears versions between the different models. It's no different than...say...cell phone firmware for Android (the same applies to Apple, for different iPhone/iPad models).

Every manufacturer receives the same version of Android from Google, to which they add in the "base" level 'mods' for that manufacturer. This is the "core" firmware that they will use for all models to receive that firmware...but, from that point, they make slightly different modifications for each model line, as each line has different capabilities. Then, taking those mods one step further, they take that firmware, and tweak it differently for each model in that line. For example, everytime Samsung released new firmware for multiple models, each phone had the same core firmware, but each line (say, the Galaxy S, or Galaxy Note, line) has a slightly modified version of that core...and then, within that line, each model has a slightly different version of that modified core.

Likewise, every Typhoon (Q & H) that uses Android as the basis of its OS had the same core...then, different modifications are introduced for each line (again, Q & H), and then further mods are done for each model within each line...but, they are not operating on "completely different software". Yes, there are differences between each model's firmware, as each is specific to the model it's intended for...and, you can't install the firmware for one model on another (just as your can't install firmware for a Galaxy Note onto a Galaxy S)...but the different firmware for the various models is not "completely different". To truly have completely different software/firmware for each model would require an entirely different programming team for each model, which is an expense no company would take on.

Yuneec-Leica press release.

Not any more than we already know but Mickeyboo nailed it with his reference to old names for rich, old money camera buyers. Leica is not anywhere close to being on the cutting edge of digital image technology and realistically they have been living off of a reputation that has been on the wane since the end of WWII. They’ve only just recently started exploring the world of mirrorless cameras, an area where Sony dominates all other camera manufacturers. Shoot, most of the camera manufacturers have been using Sony sensors for some time now.
Oh come on Leica are just a fashion accessory, like expensive watches, shirts and perfume. I was referring to potential colabration on H520.

Do you feel the same way when anything you buy gets superseded, like a TV, phone any consumer electronics?

Nope. My TV’s are all 3-5 years old, still work great, and still receive software updates. Microsoft is still updating my Win10-4k laptop so I’m good there, and my 1998 and 2000 Ford pick ups are still going strong with easy parts availability. I can even still obtain service, parts, and accessoris for my a6000 camera.

Nope. My TV’s are all 3-5 years old, still work great, and still receive software updates. Microsoft is still updating my Win10-4k laptop so I’m good there, and my 1998 and 2000 Ford pick ups are still going strong with easy parts availability. I can even still obtain service, parts, and accessoris for my a6000 camera.
Thank you. You proved the point I made earlier...Yuneec has a very-poor sense of what "customer support" means.

Companies that continue to support their products, even after said products were officially "discontinued" and/or superceded by a newer model, retain those customers. On the other hand, companies that cease to support their products after being discontinued/superceded...or, even worse, companies that cease support when the new product is "announced"...tend to lose those customers to other (ie. competing) companies. It is for this very reason that owners of the original TH (especially those that switched to Yuneec from another brand) have either switched to DJI (or another drone manufacturer), or are considering switching.

Reactions: PatR
Thank you. You proved the point I made earlier...Yuneec has a very-poor sense of what "customer support" means.

Companies that continue to support their products, even after said products were officially "discontinued" and/or superceded by a newer model, retain those customers. On the other hand, companies that cease to support their products after being discontinued/superceded...or, even worse, companies that cease support when the new product is "announced"...tend to lose those customers to other (ie. competing) companies. It is for this very reason that owners of the original TH (especially those that switched to Yuneec from another brand) have either switched to DJI (or another drone manufacturer), or are considering switching.
I think PatR has said in previous threads that 3 years is pretty good in the drone market for the original H, and even stated some Dji products aren't supported after 3 years or so, I think I remember him saying Phantom 4 batteries aren't available anymore? I think 3 years is pretty good for a cellphone after 1 or 2 Android updates, that's usually it, I have £500 phone which hasn't received any updates for over a year.

I forgot you guys have all this cable TV stuff. I don't have a smart TV so i don't receive any updates.

I think PatR has said in previous threads that 3 years is pretty good in the drone market for the original H, and even stated some Dji products aren't supported after 3 years or so, I think I remember him saying Phantom 4 batteries aren't available anymore? I think 3 years is pretty good for a cellphone after 1 or 2 Android updates, that's usually it, I have £500 phone which hasn't received any updates for over a year.

The last updates were made available back in 2017...February for ST16, March for TH. The TH was launched April 2016. So, where do you get 3 years? The original ST16 & TH were supported for LESS THAN A YEAR. Our another way, purchasers of the original TH were nothing more than "beta testers" who PAID to be part of a "test". Once Yuneec collected enough data, they used that info for the TH+, and stopped supporting the TH. That isn't "customer service"...that's "disservice".

As for your reply about cell phone support, Apple just recently discontinued support for the iPhone 6 (everything newer still receives support), and Samsung just recently announced no further sorry for the Galaxy S6 & Galaxy Note 5 (again, everything newer still receives support). Typical "length of support" in the tech industry is a minimum of 3 years, with most providing 4-5 years, and some providing as much as 7 years (Microsoft & Apple, for example, both tend to fall into this last category).

Last edited:
No but not to see this as a f#you to customers who bought the plus dispide of the clear downsides like no real waypoint planner (before flight) or cruisecontrole but had the faith that they would likely put this on a update is kind of dumb if you ask me.. I do not mind a new drone, i think its great and shows yuneec is still in there but if they do not update or continue developing for the plus, would be consumer fraude in my eyes. If you dont think so youre as blind as those dji fanboys who protect the brand no mather how bad the product
Do you feel the same way when anything you buy gets superseded, like a TV, phone any consumer electronics?

The last updates were made available back in 2017...February for ST16, March for TH. The TH was launched April 2016. So, where do you get 3 years? The original ST16 & TH were supported for LESS THAN A YEAR.
The TH was a stable platform after it's updates, I was referring to 3 years as a model and now superseded by plus and now H3. You can support a model with repairs and advice too, it doesn't have to be firmware updated all the time.

No but not to see this as a f#you to customers who bought the plus dispide of the clear downsides like no real waypoint planner (before flight) or cruisecontrole but had the faith that they would likely put this on a update is kind of dumb if you ask me.. I do not mind a new drone, i think its great and shows yuneec is still in there but if they do not update or continue developing for the plus, would be consumer fraude in my eyes. If you dont think so youre as blind as those dji fanboys who protect the brand no mather how bad the product
Lets get a few reviews and final production model before we all feel we've been cheated. Then we can we can gripe!

The TH was a stable platform after it's updates, I was referring to 3 years as a model and now superseded by plus and now H3. You can support a model with repairs and advice too, it doesn't have to be firmware updated all the time.

Yes, e original TH had been out for over 3 years...but, the fact remains that they still stopped support (ie. firmware updates) after less than one year.

Quickly, my drone/cell phone comparison was like comparing oranges to potatoes. That being said, what you're talking about is like comparing oranges to bananas. What I'm talking about, on the other hand, is comparing oranges to oranges (for this, I purposely left 'apples' out of the mix...don't want any lawsuits from a certain Cupertino company...lol).

Yes, e original TH had been out for over 3 years...but, the fact remains that they still stopped support (ie. firmware updates) after less than one year.

Quickly, my drone/cell phone comparison was like comparing oranges to potatoes. That being said, what you're talking about is like comparing oranges to bananas. What I'm talking about, on the other hand, is comparing oranges to oranges (for this, I purposely left 'apples' out of the mix...don't want any lawsuits from a certain Cupertino company...lol).
Perhaps you should of said Windows!

The Typhoon H was updated until all of the functionality and features were there and; all of the bugs were gone. It is operating at the peak of its existence which as stated came about in 2017. What; may I ask is left to update? As far as support goes, we can still get batteries and parts can we not? - it is still supported in that respect. The fact that it was being sold 3 years after introduction speaks volumes.

I am one of the original Plus owners and I do not feel cheated at all about the release of the H3, in fact I am kinda glad and look forward to seeing it first hand. If anything my only thoughts are perhaps a little frustration in the way that these are released, but hey it is a free market, we can take our business elsewhere if we choose. Personally I am a still a big fan of the Typhoon layout; controller and aircraft, it fits what I need to a tee. The new H3 tells me that Yuneec is still in the game and to me that is a good thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sakshijah