Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Drone, new camera? ION L1 Pro For Yuneec H3

Yea, but with the DSLR, remaining within brand, you can often keep using your previous lens collection, tripods, sliders, lighting, and other items. If buying a new brand you can often obtain adapters to utilize old lenses.

Yuneec is following DJI’s unit upgrade practices. Any new feature needs a new platform to carry it.
"Bit like" as in Batteries, screen protectors, add on battery packs, some wireless controllers etc. And now Nikon's dilemma of moving to mirrorless and rendering everything pretty much incompatible with the Z series.

@ Mrgs1
There is no photo (it's appropriate)
H+ : Batterie H+.JPG

H520 : Batterie H520.JPG

H3 : batterie H3.JPG

When you have the mold, you make it as profitable as possible.
Like the common elements between the H +, H520 and H3, same hulls, same legs, same cardan support and even battery.
We change the camera, we rename the model and presto it is played.
Dji did the same with his Phantom series, but he had the tact to retouch the models a little bit.
I do not denigrate Yunnec, it's a good walk. And a certain profitability without having to pay in new design.
In addition, the H520, the H + and therefore the future H3 are formidable devices in quality and flight accuracy.

Reactions: Adamg1180
I think the old adage; 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' is very relevant here. For the H3 to supplant my Plus the camera would have to be a HUGE improvement and I don't see that happening, that and perhaps a little more.
Probably a better one is a "Fool and his money" Keep it in your wallet and don't fall for all marketing hype!

@ Mrgs1
There is no photo (it's appropriate)
H+ : View attachment 18536

H520 : View attachment 18537

H3 : View attachment 18538

When you have the mold, you make it as profitable as possible.
Like the common elements between the H +, H520 and H3, same hulls, same legs, same cardan support and even battery.
We change the camera, we rename the model and presto it is played.
Dji did the same with his Phantom series, but he had the tact to retouch the models a little bit.
I do not denigrate Yunnec, it's a good walk. And a certain profitability without having to pay in new design.
In addition, the H520, the H + and therefore the future H3 are formidable devices in quality and flight accuracy.
Yes Evolution not Revolution seems to be the way!

Personally, I still have/use the original TH...although, at the same time, it's had several mods done (some by Carolina Dronz, some by a guy overseas (Ireland), AND some by me) - original CGO3+ lens replaced with glass-elements lens & camera internal electronics waterproofed, second CGO3+ purchased w/ higher focal-length glass-elements installed & camera internal electronics waterproofed, external antenna installed on TH, turned ST16 into "ST16+" by moving 2nd 2.4GHz antenna on ST16 to external position, and replaced stock ST16 antenna with high-gain 4hawks Raptor.

At the same time, I have considered "moving up". The TH+certainly wasn't enough of an "up" to make me (and quite a few others) interested...while it did have some improvements, it also (as pointed out by others) removed a few features, & added some 'idiotic' ones. I would consider the DJI Inspire, except it really "requires" two people to properly operate, plus the cost is far higher than I can afford (especially when you add the cost of a DSLR outfit). Why can't these companies come out with a drone that "aspiring professionals" can use - something that has a high-quality/resolution camera that can save in JPEG and/or RAW, has optical zoom (even if it's only 5x-10x zoom), and can be operated by a single person? I KNOW that's not too much to ask.

Finally, they's the 'problem' of Yuneec's custumer service/tech support, which...at least here in the US...has gone SEVERELY downhill. We used to be able to call in for tech support any time we needed, plus, there was no time limit...now, you have to schedule a "tech support session", and, when they call you, you have a 15 minute window (when your 15 minutes are up, they tell you they have to go...although, be if the problem hasn't been resolved by the end of your 15min window, and you request a supervisor, you can 'extend' your time by up to an additional 15 minutes). Adding to the "bad" CS/TS, the site tells you there's also 'chat', and 'email', support options...except, every time (over a 3-day period) I attempted a 'chat' session, it was non-operational, and, when I attempted to receive tech support via email, I received a reply (two weeks later) telling me to schedule a phone appointment. The point is, Yuneec's U.S. support, over the past 2-3 yesterday, has gone from "very good", to "it sucks".

I switched from DJI (Phantom 3 Pro) to Yuneec because I believed the TH to be a better product, and because I was let to believe they had excellent CS/TS (which, at the time, I'd say they did). Now, I'm split between sticking with Yuneec (whether I keep the TH, or upgrade to the TH3), going back to DJI, or switching to something else. While the TH3 'appears' to be a good...maybe even "somewhat great"...thing, there's no guarantee it will be. I remember watching, months before the TH was actually released, the promo videos...it looked to be a "Phantom-killer"...but, then, when it was actually released, it was somewhat of a 'letdown'. Sure, in many/most ways, it was better than the Phantom 3/4...but, in some ways, the Phantom was still superior. Will the TH3 'release' be equal to, better than...or worse than...all the pre-release info claims? Inquiring minds want to know?

The problem or the 'issue' with Yuneec in the past has been that the release has typically just been the point at which any given product can be obtained, the rest unfolds over several months or longer. When the original H came out it was not what it is today in terms of features and reliability. It took many months of updates for all the features to be realized and any bugs to be eliminated. Now the 480 is a solid flying machine with an Okay camera.

The Plus came out and while it was missing some features from the 480; it did deliver in the camera department in terms of image quality but suffers somewhat in the execution of mission - extreme lag times between photos being one of them. And never once mentioned in any literature from Yuneec (even to this day) was the fact that they had installed a new flight controller in the Plus that literally transformed the flying. Where the 480 is somewhat ruff around the edges in the flying department the Plus flies how one would expect it to - very smooth and stable right outta the box. But again - to this very day, some Plus owners are having issues with the c23's gimbal.

If considering a Plus one must consider which features are more important to them and choose but make no mistake in the flying and camera department the Plus wins hands down. . . if you don't get the gimbal buzz ;)

Now the H3 has hit or is about to and here we go again. Yes, it will have some features that are attractive and may even be a step up from a Plus and certainly from a 480 but at what cost (and i don't mean figuratively - or maybe I do). What issues will it have, what features will they have omitted to give us some back that were on the 480? How long will it take to iron out any bugs and are these bugs ones you can live with to get the features that the H3 has.

One thing is for sure I can't wait to see this unfold. :)

Reactions: JackMTaco
Received 3 of those announcements this morning and almost choked on my coffee after opening the first one. A “new” model just to carry a different 20mpx, digital zoom camera?

Agreed. Some minor tweaks, but nothing to make me want to go to it from the H+.

I must’ve missed something. Where are the details on the new camera? The release I’ve seen has very little detail and no examples from the camera.

Or from the 920. Seabee came up with the means to mount, and control, an a7rIII from a 920+, which means 42mpx, fast auto focus, and lens selections, although most would stay with a 20mm.

Although an a7 with lens is a bit more expensive than an H Plus or H3, Yuneec hasn’t shown enough reason to park the 920. Not anywhere close to enough.

Reactions: Truely Yuneec
Those complaining about price, remember, you're paying for the Leica brand. You're getting a little bit more for a lot more $$. Although I understand Leica is legendary in the ultra-premium photography world and have very dedicated fans. I have no idea if they've carried this quality over to this camera, I guess we'll see. I'm not saying it's justified, but it is a Leica - have you seen their regular camera prices? Crazy.

Although I think it was a huge mistake not to provide a mechanical shutter. And if you're going to step up to a Leica, personally I would have gone with a micro 4/3 sensor to further differentiate the camera and also further improve image quality.

"The battery system has been improved to include an additional safety mechanism that indicates whether the battery is properly engaged. "

My H Plus is in the shop now because the battery dropped out. I'm guessing Yuneec has gathered enough date from unfortunate individuals such as myself to alert flyers. It must have been a design fault, my Q500+ has never had this issue and I don't remember many other having a battery-drop problem with the Q series.

If the camera is not usuable on either the 520 or H plus, they will lose the fan base of those who did spend 2k already for a "professional" drone.

I totally agree as my $2,000 H plus is in shop for a battery compartment design flaw which may now be solved with the new H3. It would seem a company trying to gain and retain market share would think of folks already using their products. At the very least, there should be a way for the H Plus to bind with new Leica gimble/camera

As someone who used both Leicas and Hasselblads for years both DJI and Yuneec are bastardizing their quality at best and merely slapping their name on at worst. Leica is in rather dire shape as they never embraced digital in a manner which has made them a player except to doctors and others who have too much money. Yuneec's only chance at this stage in the game would have been to put this camera on a much smaller drone. Their models bleed so heavily into each other and their size indicates they do not understand what a large segment of the current market demands. I can see by the comments above that this latest model will soon be reduced in price as it should be since it's way too little way too late. Smaller drones with positioning sensors at all angles is where things are headed and I couldn't be happier since every time I fly for an assignment it saves me or my client $100 or $200 in luggage fees. Someone above mentioned Nikon's mirrorless camera. Both Canon and Nikon are sorely behind by years to what Sony is producing now...there has been a seismic shift in the pro market to Sony and for good reason ....I guess we can no longer say it's all done with smoke and mirrors and that's a great thing. However regarding smoke I can only surmise that Yuneec execs were smoking something when they hatched this latest misguided fossil. Cheers and calm winds to all.

I must’ve missed something. Where are the details on the new camera? The release I’ve seen has very little detail and no examples from the camera.

Specs...

Typhoon-H3-Data-Sheet_US-6.jpg

With 3 different models using the same battery, maybe UltraX will finally come out with a more reasonably priced alternative. Has anyone seen a projected release date? Previous H series dealer availability has averaged 6 months after initial press releases... so unless they are way ahead of their previous timeframes, don't expect these for the holidays.

Last edited:
My H Plus is in the shop now because the battery dropped out. I'm guessing Yuneec has gathered enough date from unfortunate individuals such as myself to alert flyers. It must have been a design fault, my Q500+ has never had this issue and I don't remember many other having a battery-drop problem with the Q series.
It's impossible for the H series battery to "fall out" if the battery is installed properly. Obviously some pilots do not understand how to install it properly or are simply careless in their procedures.

It's impossible for the H series battery to "fall out" if the battery is installed properly. Obviously some pilots do not understand how to install it properly or are simply careless in their procedures.
You hit the nail on the head there! Only in a crash would it possibly fall out!

Reactions: John Hennessy
Wouw i feel kind of used by yuneec for buying h+ now the new one is out! Its just another camera with h+ and better software tunes like the cruise controle. This could all be done with a update on the plus and would buy the new cam on my plus! Tis is a totall ripp-off!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bancadoithuongads