Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Old school Question

Reaction score
I've tried to search the forum as well as Google with no success, so here is my question. Back in the early days of personal electronic devices I was taught to run my devices until the battery was almost fully depleted before recharging it. I was told that the battery retained a memory at the level it was recharged and after repeated times would then consider that level as the new fully discharged level. With these new batteries do I have worry about battery memory or can I recharge them regardless of remaining reserve?

THANKS

Those old NiCad batteries had problems with no longer taking a full charge if you didn't regularly charge them to capacity.
With the advent of NiMh cells the chances of that happening decreased significantly.
The problem with modern polymer batteries like lipo and lion cells is that if you deplete the cell too much it will no longer take a charge without out some ( possibly ) dangerous tinkering.

Rule of thumb these days is to never fully discharge your batteries and to keep them at a safe storage level if the batteries won't see use for a while.

That being said. I personally have never followed any of the rules for storage of lipos and have never had a failure or have I ever had a lipo puff during storage. I have flown with club members that diligently kept logs about their packs marking down usage and charge statistics. They rotated their packs to maximize cycles. After all that extra work on their part they never actually got any more life out of their batteries.

The only rules I follow are.
1- never use a damaged battery.
2- never use a power setup that requires more than 75% of the batteries' rating.
3- never charge higher than 2c
4- never run down the voltage.
5- never charge unattended.

THANKS-that takes a load of my mind, one less thing to worry about. I just got my H on Saturday and charged all batteries. With the poor weather in NorCal I have taken her out twice. Today I flew one battery until the first warning sounded and flew the second battery until the second (?) warning sounded. Unsure about battery memory, I idled my H with the first battery until the second warning sounded. I am in the process of charging them both.

I think I will invest in a couple more batteries.

If you are getting more battery packs I would highly recommend also purchasing a quality lipo charger and adapter harnesses for the batteries.
You'll have much more control over the charging cycles and you'll cut charging times in half.

I have an aftermarket charger that I use for my RC Traxxas. The hobby store recommended a charger specifically for my H. He indicated around $120 -/+. Any thoughts on brand or features?

The typhoon doesnt use Smart batteries so any quality lipo balancing charger will work with the aftermarket harness.
I use a 4 port charger with an external power supply that allows me to charge 4 batteries at 100 watts per port. Your Traxas charger should probably work but I am not personally familiar with them.

I've tried to search the forum as well as Google with no success, so here is my question. Back in the early days of personal electronic devices I was taught to run my devices until the battery was almost fully depleted before recharging it. I was told that the battery retained a memory at the level it was recharged and after repeated times would then consider that level as the new fully discharged level. With these new batteries do I have worry about battery memory or can I recharge them regardless of remaining reserve?

THANKS
go to this site it's a good read about lipo batteries A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries

I no longer have my H, so I'm looking to get rid of my charger which is a Turnigy Reaktor 250W 10A 1-6S charger (same as Junsi 106B which is very highly rated). I also have the Atomik Typhoon H balance charging cable. I also have a 12V power supply that I don't need anymore. I can do the entire package for $70 shipped. I'll gladly post pictures if interested.

THANKS-I need to look into some things first and will contact you by the end of the month if I'm interested.

I no longer have my H, so I'm looking to get rid of my charger which is a Turnigy Reaktor 250W 10A 1-6S charger (same as Junsi 106B which is very highly rated). I also have the Atomik Typhoon H balance charging cable. I also have a 12V power supply that I don't need anymore. I can do the entire package for $70 shipped. I'll gladly post pictures if interested.

It's not just Lipo's. People may have batteries of NiCd, NiMh, LiFe, Li-ion, LiMn, and other chemistries. Each needs to understand the charge, discharge, and storage needs for each type. One method does bot fit all. The battery label and Google are your friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
WOW, it's deja vu all over again.:)
I only now saw this post, but earlier today I added a link to that LIPO Guide in the H Help sticky thread. I had reviewed numerous web site posts on the subject before choosing that one for our members. Kudos to you...:D

Try an' keep up there RayRay ;) bahahahaha!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulrs