Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Power Button On Typhoon H stuck on

Reaction score
I've been flying my Typhoon H on the beach, has been working great but last time I went out I switched batteries and without powering it on, it powered up and not really thinking about it, I took off and
was flying it when it came down pretty hard and crashed on the beach breaking a propeller. Checking it out when I got home I remembered not turning it on when I switched batteries and checking it out
the power button is stuck on. I tried spraying it with Deoxit contact cleaner but it did not help it, it still has no movement. Is the only thing I can really do is take it apart and clean the switch this way ?
It looks as though I just need to take out the numerous small allen head bolts and the top should come off ?
Thanks for any info.

So you took out the battery of the copter without turning it off? And placed a fresh battery into the compartment, and it powered up the copter, did that not alert you of a possible problem that needed checking before taking off?

I've been flying my Typhoon H on the beach, has been working great but last time I went out I switched batteries and without powering it on, it powered up and not really thinking about it, I took off and
was flying it when it came down pretty hard and crashed on the beach breaking a propeller. Checking it out when I got home I remembered not turning it on when I switched batteries and checking it out
the power button is stuck on. I tried spraying it with Deoxit contact cleaner but it did not help it, it still has no movement. Is the only thing I can really do is take it apart and clean the switch this way ?
It looks as though I just need to take out the numerous small allen head bolts and the top should come off ?
Thanks for any info.
Are we talking about Big Red on the controller or the power button on the aircraft itself? From your text I'm assuming it's the button on the aircraft but I've learned to be cautious when it comes to assumptions.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Are we talking about Big Red on the controller or the power button on the aircraft itself? From your text I'm assuming it's the button on the aircraft but I've learned to be cautious when it comes to assumptions.
If the red button was stuck on, wouldn't there a warning beep from the ST16? I've never tried.

With the controller on and not the H, there is no beeping or warnings.
I'm not going to try that with the H on. I'm sure it would just start up and take off.

"not really thinking about it, I took off an
was flying it". He said he swapped battery had he already been flying? Or was an exhausted battery in the compartment flat? It's all confusing!

Here's my SWAG. He said he was flying on the beach. I'll bet a grain/grains of sand got into the aircraft's power button making it stay on. Or.....

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
Here's my SWAG. He said he was flying on the beach. I'll bet a grain/grains of sand got into the aircraft's power button making it stay on. Or.....
That would be my bet too. Sand grains blown up into the button when taking off or landing.

The aircraft power switch can ingest debris and become stuck. The part you press on the aircraft is not the actual switch, but a sliding “cover” employed as a switch extension to reach the PC board mounted switch.

To clean the assembly requires removal of the top cover shell. Removal requires ten m1.5 screws be removed around the perimeter of the body. Once screws are removed minor effort will be necessary to separate the top cover from the bottom cover as the covers have a slight friction fit.

The top cover does bot need to be completely removed to access the switch as the switch extension can be removed by lifting only the front of the cover to slide it out. However, completely removing the top cover allows better access for debris inspection and removal for areas surrounding the switch assembly. If you choose to completely remove the top cover, lift it only enough to access and separate the GPS board connecter before attempting full removal. The GPS connector is fragile and will break the board side housing if it is forced.

Once the cover is removed simply push the switch extension out of the cover from the top down. I suggest cleaning employ nothing more aggressive than a lens brush and canned air pressure. If you wish you could use some dry silicone lube on the extension prior to assembly.

Note the top of the switch extension is made with a slope to conform with the shape of the cover. If you install it with the slope reversed it will not depress the board switch when depressed.

Cover assembly requires alignment of the top and bottom covers well enough to “snap” them together prior to inserting the screws. Be sure to re-install the GPS connector first. The screws have “self tapping” threads and should only be “snugged” during the tightening process to avoid stripping the plastic threads from the cover. Do not over tighten as doing so will provide cause to buy a new cover.

The process is not hard, but does require the user to pay attention.

Do not over tighten as doing so will provide cause to buy a new cover.

Amen to that, Brother!

Another thing is the "self tapping" characteristic. It is always best to start by turning the screw BACKWARDS until you hear/feel a very slight thump. That's the steel thread of the screw lining up with the plastic threads of the hole. If you don't do this, the screw will cut a new set of threads every time. It only takes a couple times doing it wrong, and you will be buying a new cover anyway. (or filling in the holes with epoxy and drilling them out again.)

Precision instruments, beach don't go together usually without a lot of care.

Not much precision involved as the button extender is a dry slip fit in a plastic opening[emoji6]. A grain or three of sand could certainly enter and jam the movement of the button. I dread thinking about what’s been happening to the gimbal...

The situation does provide a great example of why a fairly large mat should be used in dusty or loose debris ground environments. Where sand is involved I’ve yet to see anything smaller than a large heavy tarp that keeps the stuff at minimum.

With the controller on and not the H, there is no beeping or warnings.
I'm not going to try that with the H on. I'm sure it would just start up and take off.

Friend of mine had similar happen with an s800 on a bench one time. Ended up with a face full of multirotor. Aftermath left him with 95 facial stitches and staples. Sticking his tongue out the side of his cheek was a bit disturbing.

• Wow
Reactions: WTFDproject
Not much precision involved as the button extender is a dry slip fit in a plastic opening[emoji6]. A grain or three of sand could certainly enter and jam the movement of the button. I dread thinking about what’s been happening to the gimbal...

The situation does provide a great example of why a fairly large mat should be used in dusty or loose debris ground environments. Where sand is involved I’ve yet to see anything smaller than a large heavy tarp that keeps the stuff at minimum.
I wasn't really Just referring to H, I very rarely go down to a beach , if it's windy no, when your using DSLRs and lenses then I'm very careful, and I would consider changing lenses on a beach. I wouldn't take off without a large mat, the kit is expensive, and I don't like meeting trouble halfway!

But how could you change the battery? He gives the impression he swapped batteries and it started up. Without hurting him and wouldn't it of got you you thinking abort the take off? Rather than just take off!

Last edited:
Since we stop the motors from the ST-16 they would have shut down at the end of the previous flight. I do wonder if they could actually shut down if the aircraft power button remains activated but that’s a question for another day and someone else with a higher risk tolerance than mine to try out.

If the aircraft power button was depressed during battery insertion the motors could arm and spin at idle RPM unless and until the throttle stick was increased. If the stick was in a forward position a take off would be a sure bet.

In any case, seeing the motors spool up as soon as a battery was installed would cause most people to KNOW something was wrong and abort the flight. There’s no point into delving any deeper with that as we can be pretty sure the operator has finally figured that out. Hopefully he/she isn’t that cavalier with everything else they do. Failure to pay attention often has dire consequences.

I fly in sandy dusty conditions quite often and it is this very thing that caused me to begin using hand launch and recovery whenever the conditions dictate. Having said that it is not something I would recommend to everyone but if you a proficient operator it does come in handy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval