Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Question for pilots whose TH has crashed...

Reaction score
Can any of you folks that have crashed your TH help me out? From 100’+ Does the TH fall straight down (landing on camera) or does it tip or roll to its side? Thanks

Depends on hover or motion. My most catastrophic crash I was in full reverse and “flew” into the ground and the camera took all the hit. It did not tumble. I was at 125’. The drone mostly survived but was upside down as it bounced up and over. The gimbal arms absorbed most of the force. That was my original 480 and is now my back up to the back up.

Thanks... i appreciate your input. I should clarify crash as a result of power failure.

No way to predict, as there could be momentum that starts it tumbling, or it can fall straight down... my "fell from the sky" crash came straight down, with the majority of the damage to the camera, arms and landing gear.

Thank everyone I appreciate you sharing your experiences. I also thought that it would mostly fall straight down onto camera and landing gear as a result of being well balanced and the camera acting like a mini weight.

I’m installing a parachute on the top of the H but it will only trigger at 90deg so I will most likely offset the position of the can so it will tumble if there is a motor fail

Many posts I have seen on this type of rescue system are suspect and the poster has something invested in the sales. The time to deploy and slow the aircraft significantly would limit it's effective use... any flights under a couple of hundred feet will likely end up with the H impacting before the system can fully engage... or engage upon impact. Also if you are trying to induce rotation to speed deployment you will increase the likelihood of creating a "pig in a blanket" where the lines and chute become entangled with the aircraft.

I'd have to see several independent videos of this successfully saving an H, but of course no one wants to induce a motor failure to "see if it works".

I bought a used parachute on eBay that was meant For a hubsan. I’m cheap and I wanted to experiment. I’m not trying to sell anything. Anyway, I tested the chute today after modifications and it will deploy under 25’. I hope to try it on my test drone this week. If it is successful I will continue to make an attachment system for the H. There are a few videos of this parachute being used but I don’t think they make them anymore. I think a great use for the aux button would be a parachute deployment system that cuts the motors and launches the chute.

Reactions: Crashking
No, lilj you are misinterpreting my post... I was merely cautioning you on the validity of a parachute system... your post was not praising the effectiveness of these systems, as some other posters have. If you are going to try this system out, I look forward to seeing some positive results.

I was thinking of trying to video some of my progress but others have already demonstrated that these systems work in other drones so I probably won’t. I actually thought they were gaining popularity. My goal is to install a safety system so that regulators can see I am pursuing due diligence when I start flying professionally... that and if it does work might save my 2000$ drone. I will try and get a video for you testing on my throw away drone. Thanks for your input.[emoji106]

Reactions: biltno
Something you need to consider, and I'm sure most of the PRO's will agree with this , is that anything you put on your drone that is Offset, Bigger on one side than the other, or that makes the drone heavier on one side than the other is going to make the drone fly very poorly to say the least. Anything you put on it has to be centered and symmetrical . My 2 cents worth.
Tom

I would think on a big job (and not on our hobby class Drones) craft with very expensive camera there would be a camera safety system first. Yuneec has tried to make a camera impact separation system with the rails and dampener mounts. I’ve had it work where a low touch down on the camera broke the rails only and left camera laying on the ground safe. But on any forward crash the wires rip out on the gimbal. I can fix the drone but not the camera despite my best efforts. Crashing is expensive and I’d think an effective off the shelf system safety system requires a lot more R and D then our level of craft can afford or possibly deserves. I envision watching my H disappear on parachute like so many rockets of my youth.

I was thinking that in addition to possibly saving the drone the parachute might aid in finding it if it crashed out of sight.

I crashed mine into the lake in my back yard 4 weeks ago. It experienced a total loss of power while hovering at 65'. It fell straight down and landed directly on the camera. Yuneec replaced the unit after seeing the flight logs.

Thanks I appreciate your input. The parachute I’m using must be tilted 80-90deg to activate. It seems that most Pilot experience is similar to yours where the drone falls straight down a testament to the H being well balanced . However it’s likely that my chute would be useless in most circumstances. It would be great if the aux button could be used to kill the power and deploy a rescue system.

Reactions: Crashking
It would be great if the aux button could be used to kill the power and deploy a rescue system.

Unfortunately, most fall from a total loss of power. There would be no way to activate the chute. Unless you use a "dead man" type setup or add a small wing/surface of some sort that will disrupt the aerodynamics on the way down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axel66