Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Reset altimeter on ST-16 to zero?

Reaction score
Being fairly new to the TH Pro, I've managed to keep it in the air without too much trouble (Up, down, all around, we'll keep it at that for now). I found I can change the altimeter on the transmitter to feet instead of meters, but is there a way to "zero" the altimeter on the ST-16 when the TH is on the ground? I usually have reading of about 1.6' when the TH is setting on the ground. It varies somewhat, but thought it would be nice to supposedly start from 0'.
I couldn't find anything listed on the forum about it, but it's possible I missed the information about it.

Thank you,

Gene W

It is irritating, but nothing to worry about. It will zero when you hit the RED button to start up the props. Generally it will not stay on zero, even if you do not move. The barometric sensor is very sensitive, since it is used as an altimeter, and reflects slight changes in rising/falling barometric pressure into elevation. It may vary 10 or 20 feet from flight start to finish. So it zeros when the props spin up, that's all there is at present.

It is irritating, but nothing to worry about. It will zero when you hit the RED button to start up the props. Generally it will not stay on zero, even if you do not move. The barometric sensor is very sensitive, since it is used as an altimeter, and reflects slight changes in rising/falling barometric pressure into elevation. It may vary 10 or 20 feet from flight start to finish. So it zeros when the props spin up, that's all there is at present.
Thank you for that info. I wondered while it was in the air it read a variety of heights. That would explain it. Thanks again.

It will zero when you hit the RED button to start up the props.

This is not correct. The Motorstart does not reset anything !

The barometer calibration starts with powering up the drone, not the motors.

This is not correct. The Motorstart does not reset anything !

The barometer calibration starts with powering up the drone, not the motors.
When you start up the motors it does nothing to the barometer but zeros the altitude readout on the st16. If yours is not doing that then something is wrong with your unit.

Bill W.

Your H resets its altitude to zero every time you start it.
This is something to be aware of if flying on uneven ground.
If you start the H in a 'dip' it will bump into any hills and will not follow uphill gradients.

Until we start using altimeters where a known baro pressure or altitude is input at the start of a flight we'll have to continue with altitude inaccuracy. Even using civilian grade GPS for altitude has an error factor that changes with the number of satellites and lock times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even using civilian grade GPS for altitude has an error factor that changes with the number of satellites and lock times.

In fact, I believe that GPS altitude measurement is even worse than using barometric pressure. (You may have been saying that:).)

Indirectly. Differences between military grade GPS and and aircraft barometric altimeters of >200' have been frequently experienced. A decision was made some years ago to call the baro altimeter the more accurate instrument since they can be set to a known field elevation. In theory GPS should be accurate to a few millimeters but it doesn't always work out that way, especially if the equipment in use is low grade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval