Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Setting the POI Center Remotely

Reaction score
I'm working on a shoot tomorrow where I want to use POI mode to orbit a crowd from 50 meters away. I don't want to fly over the crowd, so is there a way to either A) set the POI center to a position away from the Typhoon H, or B) set the POI center then retain that position for 15 minutes? For B, I could set the position before the crowd arrives, but the H would need to retain that position until the event has started, probably 15-20 minutes. Also, what is the procedure for starting POI mode? Do I need to takeoff first, where does the hex need to be prior to starting POI mode, and how do I stop POI mode? Also, any suggestions on gimbal control in POI?
Thanks,

One option at such short notice is to pre-fly the mission, recording a Curved Cable Cam route and then fly it again at the relevant time controlling the camera manually.

However, as it sounds like you're not going to have time to practise it, there are quite high chances you'll have problems on the day.

Alternatively, you could use UAV Toolbox to program a mission with the relevant camera actions - but again, I'd only recommend that if you've got some time to practise it and iron out any problems beforehand.

Finally, the best option would be to have a second controller and fly in team mode.

How long will after I set the center point can I wait before starting? And can I disarm after setting the center point and rearm and start POI?

I'm working on a shoot tomorrow where I want to use POI mode to orbit a crowd from 50 meters away. I don't want to fly over the crowd, so is there a way to either A) set the POI center to a position away from the Typhoon H, or B) set the POI center then retain that position for 15 minutes? For B, I could set the position before the crowd arrives, but the H would need to retain that position until the event has started, probably 15-20 minutes. Also, what is the procedure for starting POI mode? Do I need to takeoff first, where does the hex need to be prior to starting POI mode, and how do I stop POI mode? Also, any suggestions on gimbal control in POI?
Thanks,
Where are you?

Not advisable but technically one is allowed to fly over a crowd of less than a thousand people in the U.K. if you have a PfCO, but not as a hobby pilot.

The Air Navigation Order says that one must keep a UAS at least 150m away from a congested area which is what the crowd is. However, the maximum advised height is only 122m which can be stretch a little way but 150m height would not be tolerated in a court...the court would probably see 150m height as not being in VLOS vertically. So, as a hobby flier you would not be able to fly over the crowd. On the other hand, having a PfCO you would benefit from an easement in that you must only keep 50m away from a congested area...the same as that for flying where individuals or small groups of people are. But the 122m height restriction for a PfCO holder is law. But that would allow a flight over a congested area so long as you flew at least 50m above the crowd and that crowd numbered less than a thousand people.

Note: The Air Navigation Order makes a reference that one should keep your aircraft more than 50m away from individuals or small groups of people (30m during take off and landing) and 150m away from a congested area eased to 50m for a standard PfCO holder. That is seen as a sort of bubble by the CAA and so that would allow a flight above a person at a height of, say, 51m and for a PfCO holder 51m over the crowd.

The only reference that the ANO makes that restricts one from flying over people is for large gatherings of a thousand people or more...a football stadium, say.

This is my understanding of the ANO.

Note that the ANO is due to be updated in a few months time so what I have just written may or may not apply after it is updated.

I hasten to say that although it is technically doable to fly over an individual and for a PfCO holder, a crowd of less than a thousand people, I would not ever fly over a crowd. I would never forgive myself if something went wrong and I advise against it. It may be technically legal (in the U.K.), but is it sensible?

Best option is a CCC but like Tuna says, it is very short notice and you would need to practice it to get it right.

There is also the simple method of manually orbiting the point of interest.

It only takes the coordinated input of two controls and; with a little practice you can get pretty good, at least as good as the software. Also, keep in mind you can use the D-Pad cruise control to set your lateral speed and focus solely on the yaw to keep the subject centered. Even if you're fairly new to multi rotors a couple flights spent practicing this maneuver will give you good results.

Come on Maverick, let's see some of that pilot stuff ;)

mav.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis