Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST-16 charging issues

Reaction score
I am having trouble with charging the ST-16 using the conventional method I've used for 2 years. I purchased a new ST-16 battery from Vertigo Drone just last week as I was having this trouble with my factory issued battery. It arrived before the holiday weekend and was charged to 95% right out of the box, so all is well, right?! I used it yesterday for about an hour, drawing down the battery to around 45% according to the ST-16 screen. I charged my 4 Typhoon H batteries on my factory issued charger while attempting to charge the ST-16 using the USB port on the side. I turned it on this morning to find the battery still at 45%...so it appears that the battery was not the issue after all. Does anyone have a workaround they've used to charge the battery without going through the ST-16?

Use a tablet USB charger rated at 2.5A or less. You could also charge through a laptop USB port but that would be slower and less convenient.

If you still encounter problems try a different USB cable.

PatR has it right. You have 3 possible problems. The cable, the charger or the ST16 charging circuit. When you plug the USB cable into the ST16 you should see it power and and begin charging. If it does not, try a different charger, then a different cable. It neither work then the ST16 charging circuit is bad. The workaround is to remove the battery and charge it externally. The connector on the battery is an EC2.

You could use something like the cable below to charge the battery if you are careful not to short the contacts. Unfortunately when you remove the battery, you will have to set up the time and date each time you reinstall it.

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Alligat...rd_wg=o7K8w&psc=1&refRID=A6EEYFTRC6CER2KZRFWA

Thank you both!

After multiple attempts in different charging blocks around my house, I plugged it into my MacBook Pro with a USB C adapter. It has been charging for nearly 2 hours now and has made progress...almost 90%. So far so good!

@Steve Carr if I were to use the cable like the one you linked, should I set a timer for how long it should charge or would that matter at all? How would I know it was fully charged?

I am having trouble with charging the ST-16 using the conventional method I've used for 2 years. I purchased a new ST-16 battery from Vertigo Drone just last week as I was having this trouble with my factory issued battery. It arrived before the holiday weekend and was charged to 95% right out of the box, so all is well, right?! I used it yesterday for about an hour, drawing down the battery to around 45% according to the ST-16 screen. I charged my 4 Typhoon H batteries on my factory issued charger while attempting to charge the ST-16 using the USB port on the side. I turned it on this morning to find the battery still at 45%...so it appears that the battery was not the issue after all. Does anyone have a workaround they've used to charge the battery without going through the ST-16?
If i am understanding you correctly the remote battery is not charging to 100% . I had the same issue and found on the internet,that is you disconnect the battery from the remote and wait 1 minute and replug it in to the remote, then connect it to the charger it will proceed to charge. When i did this i tapped on the remote screen and i when from 45% to 95% instantly . then charged to 100%.

Reactions: Spessyquist
A lithium ion battery has a charging circuit chip built into it that both prevents over charging and also reduces the maximum state of charge if the charge rate is too high. When the battery is charged that circuit stops the charge cycle.

In over 2 years of using a tablet charger for my ST-16’s, at times forgetting them until the next day, there has not been an over charging event. I don’t recommend forgetting you have a battery on the charger but it does happen...

As far as chargers and cables are concerned, I try to avoid things that have potential to short a battery. Being from the school of hard knocks, if there’s a way to make a critical mistake I’ll usually run into it at some point.

Last edited:
YOUTUBE IS YOUR FRIEND , I find easy fixes on youtube.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis