Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Test Video Editing for 1st Time

Reaction score
Sorry members if it was on another post, I was learning! And Thanks to Parkas and Meta(moderator) for teaching an old dog new tricks!.
It probably sucks!, but I am learning PowerDirector 14 and youtube all at once.
Comments are welcome, negative and positive!;)

Sorry guys, check again, it didn't embed to upload, does it now? I said I was learning!

Last edited:
It is a abandoned quarry in my back yard, that the owner was back washing pump so water was murky, normally it is crystal clear and is used as a scuba diving training facility. When clean you can see a sunken 707 Airplane(no offence Humboldt!) a bus and a boat. Used to train search and rescue divers and lessons! I will re-shoot with my H instead of my P4, If I ever get it !!!:mad:

And I'm learning from you. Does that tell you something? I have experience with video game recording which doesn't compare to this, but similar principles would apply I'd think.

Cool video. Does it look smooth to you? It seems to stutter somewhat; at first thought it was my PC monitor so switched to TV and got the same result. I've heard that's an artifact of YouTube conversion and that Vimeo gives better results. Then again, Vimeo is not free. It seems YT has degraded over the past year or so and you really need to be precise with the settings. How large is the raw file and what settings did you use?

And I'm learning from you. Does that tell you something? I have experience with video game recording which doesn't compare to this, but similar principles would apply I'd think.

Cool video. Does it look smooth to you? It seems to stutter somewhat; at first thought it was my PC monitor so switched to TV and got the same result. I've heard that's an artifact of YouTube conversion and that Vimeo gives better results. Then again, Vimeo is not free. It seems YT has degraded over the past year or so and you really need to be precise with the settings. How large is the raw file and what settings did you use?
I deleted the original file as to not clutter space on my lappy, but about 12 minutes in the highest 4k resolution. It is youtube, because on my computer it's smooth and on my 4k tv it is awesome in 4k ! I have a lot of practice and learning to do though ! Thanks bro !

I have been using Microsoft's Movie Maker which does everything I need a video editor to do. You should try more subtle edit stop and starts with fade out and fade ins. Also you should always credit the artist whose music you are using even if it was free and just giving them the courtesy.
There is another video on Youtube of an abandoned quarry with a bus, heavy equipment and something else (its tough to get old, especially when the mind is the first thing to go). You might want to check it out for hints and tips for view angles. It is a decent first try though, keep practicing. I'm only a beginner myself and cant wait to get my ahnds of the 'H'.
Abandoned Quarry video

Vimeo is free, it's the Pro version that you pay for. But you'll find that Vimeo is targeted towards the creative type not the Look At Me YouTube type. I hate the constant barrage of ads and verbal diarrhoea on YT, where as Vimeo has no pop up ads and none of the dribble comments.

Reactions: Skypicswa
I deleted the original file as to not clutter space on my lappy, but about 12 minutes in the highest 4k resolution. It is youtube, because on my computer it's smooth and on my 4k tv it is awesome in 4k ! I have a lot of practice and learning to do though ! Thanks bro !
The highest video mode I have available for the video is 1080p. It played just fine for me. I can go up to 2K on my current monitor and the 4K choice does show up when its available.

I have been using Microsoft's Movie Maker which does everything I need a video editor to do. You should try more subtle edit stop and starts with fade out and fade ins. Also you should always credit the artist whose music you are using even if it was free and just giving them the courtesy.
There is another video on Youtube of an abandoned quarry with a bus, heavy equipment and something else (its tough to get old, especially when the mind is the first thing to go). You might want to check it out for hints and tips for view angles. It is a decent first try though, keep practicing. I'm only a beginner myself and cant wait to get my ahnds of the 'H'.
Thanks well diagnosed ! The song was my nieces piano, she didn't want her name on you tube, so I honored her request, I just got PD14 so I don't even know how to make breaks but cut out what I do not want, and slide the next better ones over. Just the standard Movie Maker that's free with Windows? I used it alittle, but seemed it didn't have much to edit with? may be wrong, Thanks Friend!

I think you can use 500mb/week at Vimeo for free. I had all sorts of problems trying to get good GP video to YT, but being a noob didn't help. If I do bother to post videos, I think from the air I'll pay the man and use Vimeo.

Reactions: DroneClone
The highest video mode I have available for the video is 1080p. It played just fine for me. I can go up to 2K on my current monitor and the 4K choice does show up when its available.
Interesting. My video card should produce good results; I just recently updated the drivers. Maybe they are the culprit.

I think you can use 500mb/week at Vimeo for free. I had all sorts of problems trying to get good GP video to YT, but being a noob didn't help. If I do bother to post videos, I think from the air I'll pay the man and use Vimeo.
Yeah, I remember using it and it wouldnt even download my video in the free, and held off paying the man, but like you I may!, Thanks Glider!

You covered the area nicely,and focused on that rock that was foot shaped,nice and smooth beginning,kinda looked like you were holding back on just taking off and buzz around.grat area to just take off and fly around.

Just a thought DC. When filming think to yourself "long, smooth and flowing" No sudden stick movements. Pre plan the flight path then start your run slowly and fly past the point your interested in capturing on each run. When panning the camera or even the UAV be as gentle and smooth as you possibly can.
Here's a video I made last year from my big hexa. It's slightly easier to be smooth when flying a larger UAV (this one weighs almost 7kg).

Me too! But I am still in the Denny's coloring pages ! LOL
You have some good video but it's just too long. The hardest thing in editing is cutting out all that footage. BUT....until you can do it, your videos will be too long and no one will watch more than a minute. A 45 second video with lots of movement will always beat out a 5 min. General rules I follow: 1) Keep the length 2-3 min. 2) only use clips where the shot is moving 3) delete pans or anything that has a sudden movement. 4) delete camera tilts 5) try to use 5-10 second clips 6) never show take off and landing. This is hard when you're proud of all that great footage that you think is just going to waste. Trust me.....you have to do it.
With PD14, to make a transition, just grab the clip on the right and drag it left partially over the clip on the left. That will create a fade. You can then double-click the green overlap and adjust the length to 1 or 2 seconds.
Here is an older vid I did while learning the program. I had two major mistakes. One was a blank spot where I forgot to overlap and the other was including a camera tilt. There may be some others, but I did manage to reduce 30 minutes of video to 2 minutes.
BTW, once you upload to youtube, it takes a long time for it to process and even after it says it's published, it will be several minutes before the higher resolutions are completed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval