Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Thing is, the H is SUPPOSED to land on it's own

We might finally be seeing "root cause". The "manual" if it could really be called that, sucks. Saying an H is good for a first time flyer is also a bad thing to do. The H is much more suited to an experienced operator, one that has already learned how to handle controls and how different phases of flight should be handled. They have less need of step by step instructions, or for the oversight of others to help them become successful. Without oversight, or a teacher for better description, in the beginning there will be crashes and incidents, especially with aircraft that are more demanding of operator input.

Reactions: JulesTEO
Helicopters, full scale and RC are impacted by a gyroscopic reaction upon touch down called dynamic roll or if it gets away from you it is dynamic roll over. To lessen the gyroscopic forces impacting a heli, one skid or wheel touches down first then the other.
Gyroscopic precession unloads at a 90 degree tangent to the force applied. The ground acts like a force against the gyroscopic stability of the heli or in this case the drone. In the Typhoon we have 3 clockwise and three counter clockwise. Perfect stability is achieved when thrust from all 6 rotating masses are equal. In auto land mode or RTH the flight controller reacts with ground contact and counters any tilt or stability change (dynamic roll) with opposing thrust. this all happens much faster then you can react to. And if you do react you are behind the curve and the flight controller fights you.
You can easily test this when you hand catch the drone. No matter how good you think you are, at least one motor or more will react against you. What you are feeling is torque from the opposing thrust. Carefully feel the drone as you grab it and you will feel lift and rotational twist. The flight controller algorithm takes all of this into account and applies correction signals at speeds mere humans can never achieve.

The time mine tipped and almost tipped (I shut the motors off before it happened) was both on black top roads that were flat. Of course I didn't carry a level to make sure they were completely flat (sarcasm) but they were level to the eye.I've had the same issue Skeet, where a motor will all the sudden gear up causing the H to tip after it landed. That was my first tip over. I haven't had any tips overs sense because I kill the motors as it's landing.

I have calibrated my H more times than I can count. And yes I'm doing it right, level ground for accelerometer, facing north for compass (confirmed by two other compasses), consistent movement to left, etc blah blah blah and still I have horrible drift issues sometimes and others not. I only fly out in the middle of nowhere since abandoned prairie locations are my interest. Yesterday, middle of nowhere, after 3 compass calibrations, the H would not stop saying it needed calibration. Maybe there was a buried meteor somewhere or a secret underground military base. (Again...sarcasm).

Electronics can be glitchy. One product will be fine, the other isn't. Most of my experience comes from computers. Same thing happens. If some of the components in some of the H's are coming from a bad manufacturer for that part...it can happen. Same reason some cars will experience problems that produces a recall and others won't. I'm starting to suspect a faulty compass module on mine.

I don't use RTH ever because every time I did it was wildly off the mark from where it took off. My OBS (realsense) has never worked (bought it already installed).

It's worthy to complain about the problem so that solutions can be determined either by users or manufacturer. Always assuming it's user error is being a Typhoon apologist. That shows with the snarky comments.

I'm getting ready to send mine into Yuneec because I'm tired of the ghosts in the machine that pop up every other flight. I smacked into a wood pole that was 4 feet away yesterday because the H decided to drift drastically and quickly to the left when I didn't even have my hands on the controls except to try and correct it but I was too late. I looked down at the screen to see if my shot was lined up and it veered off as I was looking down. I was doing a hover shot in front of the entrance to an old cemetery. All was fine for about 30 seconds then it was like an invisible hand swiped it over. No wind, but I'm sure there's going to be at least 2 people who say it was user error. I guess the H isn't supposed to be able to hover with little variance. I understand there's a lot of user error but that is not always the case.

I've had the same issue Skeet, where a motor will all the sudden gear up causing the H to tip after it landed. That was my first tip over.

The time mine tipped and almost tipped (I shut the motors off before it happened) was both on black top roads that were flat. Of course I didn't carry a level to make sure they were completely flat (sarcasm) but they were level to the eye.I've had the same issue Skeet, where a motor will all the sudden gear up causing the H to tip after it landed. That was my first tip over. I haven't had any tips overs sense because I kill the motors as it's landing.

I have calibrated my H more times than I can count. And yes I'm doing it right, level ground for accelerometer, facing north for compass (confirmed by two other compasses), consistent movement to left, etc blah blah blah and still I have horrible drift issues sometimes and others not. I only fly out in the middle of nowhere since abandoned prairie locations are my interest. Yesterday, middle of nowhere, after 3 compass calibrations, the H would not stop saying it needed calibration. Maybe there was a buried meteor somewhere or a secret underground military base. (Again...sarcasm).

Electronics can be glitchy. One product will be fine, the other isn't. Most of my experience comes from computers. Same thing happens. If some of the components in some of the H's are coming from a bad manufacturer for that part...it can happen. Same reason some cars will experience problems that produces a recall and others won't. I'm starting to suspect a faulty compass module on mine.

I don't use RTH ever because every time I did it was wildly off the mark from where it took off. My OBS (realsense) has never worked (bought it already installed).

It's worthy to complain about the problem so that solutions can be determined either by users or manufacturer. Always assuming it's user error is being a Typhoon apologist. That shows with the snarky comments.

I'm getting ready to send mine into Yuneec because I'm tired of the ghosts in the machine that pop up every other flight. I smacked into a wood pole that was 4 feet away yesterday because the H decided to drift drastically and quickly to the left when I didn't even have my hands on the controls except to try and correct it but I was too late. I looked down at the screen to see if my shot was lined up and it veered off as I was looking down. I was doing a hover shot in front of the entrance to an old cemetery. All was fine for about 30 seconds then it was like an invisible hand swiped it over. No wind, but I'm sure there's going to be at least 2 people who say it was user error. I guess the H isn't supposed to be able to hover with little variance. I understand there's a lot of user error but that is not always the case.

I've had the same issue Skeet, where a motor will all the sudden gear up causing the H to tip after it landed. That was my first tip over.

It could be definitely a malfunctioning component.

Anecdote from last year: I purchased the RealSense module to install on my 1st gen Typhoon H. The aircraft has only once performed erratic flight which ended in a crash (ever since a firmware update seemed to fix the issue, but added to that I take special care to turn it on at the point where it will take off, never carry around on and move it around, problem has never happened again)

I went ahead, installed it as instructions said to and when I went out to test the unit with the freshly installed RS module, to my surprise the unit started toilet bowling, and drifting since the moment of takeoff. Made landing harder, but not impossible to perform.

The only variables: The recently installed RS module & previous repairs I performed myself from the crash previously mentioned.

Decided to remove RS and test again: the unit flew perfectly. As far as I could tell the RS module was causing the problems.

I decided to go ahead and open the unit to check if I had done something wrong when I performed repairs: the only thing I could definitely see was that I left the cable which connects the RealSense module to the "Brain" untwisted. (there's a reason these cables are twisted) Originally this cable was visibly carefully twisted but I did a sloppy reinstallation after repair. It seemed at first like it was "unlikely" that simple detail was the culprit. Remade the twist carefully, reassembled, reinstalled RealSense. The unit performs, until this date, 7 months later perfectly.

Moral of the story, this simple detail caused major flight problems. I caused it myself, but some people might be experiencing this problems which could be relatively easily fixed. Should you, the end-user, repair your recently purchased expensive units? Not really, BUT, me, personally decided to go ahead and try to perform the repairs instead of typing endless angry e-mails waiting for some one else to come and fix it.
Did the repairs I did void my warranty? No, I talked to yuneec about some spares I needed after the crash I mentioned at the begining, described the repairs I had performed, they were OK and shipped the requested spare parts under warranty.

Just wanted to share this story with you, definitely sometimes its something within the H and not always pilot error. If you're having similar issues you could check this out, see if it helps or not. There's nothing to lose, and you could fix the problems you're experiencing!

Even made a video back then, where you will see actual pictures:

Greetings!

Last edited:
It could be definitely a malfunctioning component.

Anecdote from last year: I purchased the RealSense module to install on my 1st gen Typhoon H. The aircraft has only once performed erratic flight which ended in a crash (ever since a firmware update seemed to fix the issue, but added to that I take special care to turn it on at the point where it will take off, never carry around on and move it around, problem has never happened again)

I went ahead, installed it as instructions said to and when I went out to test the unit with the freshly installed RS module, to my surprise the unit started toilet bowling, and drifting since the moment of takeoff. Made landing harder, but not impossible to perform.

The only variables: The recently installed RS module, previous repairs I performed myself from the crash previously mentioned.

Decided to remove RS and test again: the unit flew perfectly. As far as I could tell the RS module was causing the problems.

I decided to go ahead and open the unit to check if I had done something wrong when I performed repairs: the only thing I could definitely see was that I left the cable which connects the RealSense module to the "Brain" untwisted. (there's a reason these cables are twisted) Originally this cable was visibly carefully twisted but I did a sloppy reinstallation after repair. It seemed at first like it was "unlikely" that simple detail was the culprit. Remade the twist carefully, reassembled, reinstalled RealSense. The unit performs, until this date, 7 months later perfectly.

Moral of the story, this simple detail caused major flight problems. I caused it myself, but some people might be experiencing this problems which could be relatively easily fixed. Should you, the end-user, repair your recently purchased expensive units? Not really, BUT, me, personally decided to go ahead and try to perform the repairs instead of typing endless angry e-mails waiting for some one else to come and fix it.
Did the repairs I did void my warranty? No, I talked to yuneec about some spares I needed after the crash I mentioned at the begining, described the repairs I had performed, they were OK and shipped the requested spare parts under warranty.

Just wanted to share this story with you, definitely sometimes its something within the H and not always pilot error. If you're having similar issues you could check this out, see if it helps or not. There's nothing to lose, and you could fix the problems you're experiencing!

Even made a video back then, where you will see actual pictures:

Greetings!
Wow! That's an amazing result. Twist those cables. Thanks for sharing.

One thing I'll chime in here...... is all of my drone(and Heli) controllers except the ST16 have no return to center springs on the throttle (just a ratchet stop) so when I land and put the stick in the down position it does not try to go back to center and spool back up.... so the copter/drone stays down. Could this be part of the issue where it thinks its down but when the stick comes up a little or returns to center it starts to spool back up? Goes light on the skids and tries to flip? Don't know have not had enough time on my H yet to try this out and getting used to the RTC throttle stick. I manually takeoff and land on all my units as the ground effect varies depending on the surface your landing on (grass .vs. concrete). Don't trust the RTL systems....never will.
I agree, I takeoff and land my H manually. Taking off I put mid way from turtle to rabbit mode, being a real pilot you want extra power thrust just in case wind sheer. Landing always in turtle mode and landing facing into the wind, no cross wind landings.

This started happening after the latest firmware update. Always landed perfect before.

The H has Dynamic RTH. It lands where the ST-16 is. Not necessarily where it took off. The H's RTH has worked flawlessly for me and I use it almost every flight. However, I do wish it had the option to Dynamically RTH, or RTH where it took off.

This started happening after the latest firmware update. Always landed perfect before.

Good example of the issue. I'll refer back to the first run H's which were fine and subsequent firmware revealed a hardware problem with some of the compass boards which hadn't previously manifested. Pure speculation on my part but I suppose it's possible this latest firmware has uncovered a similar hardware issue with some H's when landing.

I have had my H since mid January and have not had a tip over. I was in Corpus Christi, TX and landed in winds that were steady 10 to 12 MPH gusting to 30 or 35 MPH with no problems whatsoever. No hops, skips, or jumps.
I have never used any automatic landing feature. I fly it down to the ground and hit the kill switch once it touches down. I don't even know if the OA works or not. I feel it is my job to keep it clear of possible collisions or other problems.

My take offs are from a reasonably level surface and full throttle straight up. If I don't have a nice level surface I take my H back pack set it down and level it. I also calibrate my compass when I have changed locations. I set my compass on the ground and then align the H up with Magnetic North and then turn on the calibrate function and do the "The Calibration Dance."
<iframe width="788" height="443" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I'd like to point out the H does what the manual says it will do when landing. What the manual does not state is whether or not the landing will be perfect every time. It does mention the user should be careful with control input to avoid a tip over when landing using RTH.

I had posted this in another thread, but since it's relevant it bears repeating...
I have noticed that if the motors don't idle down in 2-3 seconds of touchdown,
then a tipover is more likely. If allowed to sit on the ground longer at full revs,
the H will be happy to perform a somersault.

I have learned to land in the mindset of always being touch and go, until I hear
the motors slow down. Get back up in the air, steady the bird and retry. Given the
new info posted in the last few weeks, I'd say in the future, my 2nd attempt will utilize
the "click the red button" technique.

I would love to have seen what the fingers were doing in some of the rough landing videos. Easy to blame the H, which is providing video of the results when video of the cause is not being shot as well. I'll certainly say the H isn't perfect but I suspect it's a lot better at landing than some of those telling it to, and how it should do it.

All the talk of tip overs takes me back to a day I was flying with a guy that had an Inspire 1. Winds were ~10-15mph. He would gush about DJI's customer service since they had rebuilt his Inspire-twice- after he broke it up during take off's and landings. I asked how he was putting it up and down that day and he said he was using auto take off and auto land because he was not good enough to do it manually. When asked how I was doing it I simply showed him manual take off's and landings. He said the H was more stable than what he had. I read the same story in here over and over with one difference: he was honest enough to admit he didn't have the skill to do it yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderChicken

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nashamukti52