Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Tip for my first flight

Reaction score
When my Typhoon comes, for my first flight I shall make sure I am at least 10 paces away from the machine before starting up. After reading all the manuals and watching the reviews I think in "smart mode" there is a safety area for the pilot. That is the machine will not come nearer to the pilot than 10 paces to avoid you flying it in to your own face. When switched into "pilot mode" this safety feature is turned off. My point being if you started in "smart mode" and were just a couple of paces away (as I have often done with my Phantoms) would the aircraft veer off immediately to attain 10 paces or so from you at take-off. If there was a tree nearby this could be costly.

The Smart mode is identical to the Q500. If you plan to launch in Smart mode, you should be at least 30' away. As you point out, if you are too close the bird will try to fly outside the geo-fence immediately which usually ends with a crash. The preferred method is to launch in Angle mode with the camera facing away from you. After you are in the air and far enough away you can switch to Smart mode.

If it's sitting on the ground and you are in Home mode, the motors won't start because it's already home. They will start in Smart and Angle modes, so always make sure you have plenty of distance away.

The H is going to be a pretty good learning curve for me. I have only flown Phantoms and racers so I will have to learn all the different modes and what can be done in each. I have read the manual a few times but I am better at hands on.

Also watch the Youtube video. Some of those are very informative, although long.

Learn to use the green arrow on the controller. It will help you maintain orientation. If you need to bring it closer to home, you just move the right stick in the direction the arrow is pointing and it will fly toward you.

Reactions: HarveyC
The Smart mode is identical to the Q500. If you plan to launch in Smart mode, you should be at least 30' away. As you point out, if you are too close the bird will try to fly outside the geo-fence immediately which usually ends with a crash. The preferred method is to launch in Angle mode with the camera facing away from you. After you are in the air and far enough away you can switch to Smart mode.
Thanks. A note for all us ex Phantom owners

When my Typhoon comes, for my first flight I shall make sure I am at least 10 paces away from the machine before starting up. After reading all the manuals and watching the reviews I think in "smart mode" there is a safety area for the pilot. That is the machine will not come nearer to the pilot than 10 paces to avoid you flying it in to your own face. When switched into "pilot mode" this safety feature is turned off. My point being if you started in "smart mode" and were just a couple of paces away (as I have often done with my Phantoms) would the aircraft veer off immediately to attain 10 paces or so from you at take-off. If there was a tree nearby this could be costly.
If your paces = 26' !

hey DC did you maiden that p4 yet???
Yeah, just got in from one battery, she is pretty impressive and handles way better than a P3, batteries on way so I can fly more! But I still Love my wife H -enrietta! If she'll ever get outta jail and come home to me!:(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval