Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do it again and discharged it to 14.4v that's when the typhoon will auto land. That will be the usable capacity for the H. You should not discharge it below 14.2v or you can cause damage.

Yes, it's a 4 cell battery and the rule is to never discharge below 3 volts per cell so 13 volts is 3.25 volts per cell. Normal new battery packs that I have tested may go 100 mah over the rating but I was shocked to see over 7000 mah out of these that are rated at 5400 mah. My charge cutoff is 16.8 volts.
It took 102 minutes to discharge at 5.0 amps (1C) and I am suspecting the Typhoon is discharging at (at least) over 10 amps (2C+) so the capacity will be slightly less at that rate. NTL in my comparison with other similar capacity packs I have tested over the years these packs from Yuneec seem to be amazing!!!

Last edited:
Typhoon Charlie: I will do that but here I was trying to do an apples to apples comparison with other packs i use for other applications (LED video lighting) with the same ratings. If I discharged other 5400 mah packs to 14.2 volts their actual capacity would also be less.

Have you ever seen what the voltage was on the H drone pack was when the drone failed to fly anymore?

I have had lots of experience discharging other lithium polymer batteries to 13 volts and never had a single problem. I track every pack I own over time. My charger will display and record graphical information on my computer so I can compare C/D curves over time.

You can discharge a LIPo cell even lower than 3 volts. However, when you combine them in a multi-cell pack if the cells aren't matched well there is the risk if one cell is at 0 volts and the others are still at a higher voltage while being discharged there is the risk of charging that one cell with a reverse polarity and that will certainly damage it. I look at individual cell voltage after a discharge and if I see a spread in voltage it's time to balance the pack. if the spread is large enough I scrap the pack.

Last edited:
Well all I can see thats happening on this thread right now is, "someone" on here is ONLY using this thread to try & "ADVERTISE" their NEW 3D Printed battery tray (a supposed v2.0) & they are having to come up with such outrageous FALSE CLAIMS of a previously printed 3D printed batttery tray because they are trying to Sell the new one (MIND you that WILL be made Using the EXACT Same methods & Material Type "ie ABS" whch means if the other supposedly melts then the new one will too) for ummm ummm ya thats right $120.00 & thats if you pre-order it now & wait to recieve it for about a month!!!! So ok there have been COUNTLESS people on this forum aswell as many other forums that HAVE INDEED Bought, Charged, & YES YES Have even Flown with a 4S MultiStar 8000mAh LIHV battery & not only have had better flight times with it but also have been able to SUCCESSFULLY landed their H WITHOUT it "Melting" or for that matter get HOT enough to cause concern. Im not sure about any of the rest of you, But i for 1 am not currently nor will I ever be willing to Buy a 3D Printed battery tray that consists of under $20 worth of materials for an outrageous $120.00, I don't care how great of a lifetime warranty it may have on it cuz unless its made of the same material that NASA use to make the Heat Shield Tiles for the Space Shuttle, But **** I guess if an 8000mAh battery is capable of reaching temps as high as 220C or more after less then 30 minutes of flying inside the Typhoon H which only likely pulls a Max C rating of 10 - MAYBE 20C if your really throttling & have weird circumstances Then Even with those Nasa Tiles that usually can withstand Thousands of degrees when re entering the atmosphere, Then anything is possible!!!

Yes, it's a 4 cell battery and the rule is to never discharge below 3 volts per cell so 13 volts is 3.25 volts per cell. Normal new battery packs that I have tested may go 100 mah over the rating but I was shocked to see over 7000 mah out of these that are rated at 5400 mah. My charge cutoff is 16.8 volts.
It took 102 minutes to discharge at 5.0 amps (1C) and I am suspecting the Typhoon is discharging at (at least) over 10 amps (2C+) so the capacity will be slightly less at that rate. NTL in my comparison with other similar capacity packs I have tested over the years these packs from Yuneec seem to be amazing!!!
Don't know where you get that "rule", but in my years with using LiPo's and hanging around with my other piston-head brethren the general consensus is to never let the cell voltage drop to 3.3v or below. You're living on the edge there, son. :eek:

Sorry guys but you need to recheck your information. Do a simple search on the web. 99% of the information will list the minimum discharge voltage as 3 volts per cell (that's 12 volts for a 4 cell pack and I don't discharge less than 13 volts that's 3.25 volts per cell well within the safe range). Yes, there is that 1% that will say don't go below 3.5 volts per cell but there is always the ultra conservative few.

I have had been using Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer batteries ever since they have first come on the market for several different applications. I always balance my packs and track charge and discharge parameters and curves over time. One key parameter I watch is cell resistance (in milli ohms) which is a good indicator of how the pack is aging. I have never seen an issue with premature battery pack failure discharging to 13 volts for a 4 cell pack. I try to get my information from manufacturers and reliable sources rather than from piston or gear heads around me. I then validate that based on my own experience.

Another thing is that for safety all external Li-Ion and Li-Po packs contain PCB circuity to keep the pack within safe limits when your discharging or charging the pack and to keep you from doing something stupid (attached is a some supporting documentation and information on such a protection PCB)

P.S. I discharged the 2nd new pack I purchased to 14.2 volts and the capacity was 6901 mah
The discharge time to 13 volts was 102 minutes and 92 minutes to 14.2 volts so that's a difference of 10 minutes run time at 1C.

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 7.26.06 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 7.42.20 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 8.12.03 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: LuvMyTJ
I just looked at one of my telemetry files and the battery voltage on my Typhoon H Pro was 13.5 volts when I landed and shut the drone off. Next time I'm out flying I will let it hover a couple inches from the ground until the motors quit and see what the voltage is.

This thread, started way back in May in Classifieds, somehow has morphed into a heated discussion far off topic. This thread is closed.

The subject of LIPO batteries stirs a lot of controversy. Discussion is good; start a new thread in Typhoon H Discussion if you have new info to bring to members attention, BUT please keep it polite.

Reactions: Ralphy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430