Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H battery

Glider,

With all due, if you have a Yuneec aircraft that performs well you should not be concerned about a future battery supply as standard batteries are easily adapted. Such is not the case with the brand you are contemplating. You use theirs or none at all.

All this excitement about lack of Yuneec batteries is a lot of drama about nothing. Anyone with the desire can walk away from Yuneec or other hard shell batteries in a heartbeat and suffer no ill effects.

I'm talking about finding a good battery today, not the future.

Most of my batteries are the factory units and the life is about gone. I had two that got ruined from water (rain) getting in the backpack and shorting them out so promptly drilled drain holes.

I then bought a few when on sale, and a couple Ultrax. Recently I bought a Yuneec brand that was DOA. It was "on sale" at a popular online reseller.

At this point it isn't known which ones are still worth using, but I'm simply not paying $140 for a plain 4s battery whose actual value is < $40 and how old are they? There's no reason these batteries to be priced so high. Also, I think many if not most Yuneec branded batteries left for sale are already past their prime.

Carolinadronz was for a long time THE place to go for Yuneec stuff. Now you can't even buy a battery for the H. Such is the case for most dealers. Again, the "on sale" Yuneec brand batteries are old stock on their last leg IMO. I question if Yuneec is providing new batteries at all.

It would be interesting to know why Tattu stopped making batteries for Yuneec.

I'm talking about finding a good battery today, not the future.

Most of my batteries are the factory units and the life is about gone. I had two that got ruined from water (rain) getting in the backpack and shorting them out so promptly drilled drain holes.

I then bought a few when on sale, and a couple Ultrax. Recently I bought a Yuneec brand that was DOA. It was "on sale" at a popular online reseller.

At this point it isn't known which ones are still worth using, but I'm simply not paying $140 for a plain 4s battery whose actual value is < $40 and how old are they? There's no reason these batteries to be priced so high. Also, I think many if not most Yuneec branded batteries left for sale are already past their prime.

Carolinadronz was for a long time THE place to go for Yuneec stuff. Now you can't even buy a battery for the H. Such is the case for most dealers. Again, the "on sale" Yuneec brand batteries are old stock on their last leg IMO. I question if Yuneec is providing new batteries at all.

It would be interesting to know why Tattu stopped making batteries for Yuneec.
I thought they had started again, people on here had a 2019 batch very recently?

Glider,

How many good batteries do you want or need? 20-50-100, all ready to ship on the next business day? Just make a power wire adapter and buy off the shelf lipo’s. The fastest, cheapest, easiest, laziest way to start using better batteries requires only 24” of 12awg silicone wire, the plug from a worn out battery, an XT-60 plug, and a piece of duct tape. Of course it can be done much better than that.

I cannot understand all the stress and anxiety people are placing on themselves in locating and obtaining low quality batteries housed in a hard plastic shell. To me the concept is just stupid. It has been since DJI first introduced the concept of “smart” batteries you could only buy from DJI. That people bought into the concept and allowed it to spread to other manufacturers is indicative of some seriously simple minds. To avoid eliminating “proprietary” batteries when one or more viable alternatives are present is incomprehensible.

Buying through Amazon will give you some buyer protection, not had any experience of GiFi, there's just as many positive to negatives reviews for them. Buy one and give it a shot, Just be careful that it performs to your expectations, if not return it. If the Power 4 batteries come back "New stock" I might buy a couple, but I'm not holding my breath!
Just placed an order for a Gifi battery. £81.43 with a 3% promotional discount. Down side is the estimated delivery wait: 7th Sept to 17th Sept so almost a month if it goes to the 17th. Not desperate for a quick delivery, though, so no real hardship.

I've decided to leave the one I have on order through Jessops as is for now. That one is a Power 4 battery at a price that is hard to beat so if or when they get them back in stock I'll have that one too.

Edit. I also noted that Amazon are now taking pre orders on Power 4 batteries...something I didn't notice a few days ago, so maybe a new batch of Power 4 batteries are in the pipeline?

Just placed an order for a Gifi battery. £81.43 with a 3% promotional discount. Down side is the estimated delivery wait: 7th Sept to 17th Sept so almost a month if it goes to the 17th. Not desperate for a quick delivery, though, so no real hardship.

I've decided to leave the one I have on order through Jessops as is for now. That one is a Power 4 battery at a price that is hard to beat so if or when they get them back in stock I'll have that one too.

Edit. I also noted that Amazon are now taking pre orders on Power 4 batteries...something I didn't notice a few days ago, so maybe a new batch of Power 4 batteries are in the pipeline?
Nope the Amazon pre order Power 4 took over a month, came from Germany and was 2016 dated.

Nope the Amazon pre order Power 4 took over a month, came from Germany and was 2016 dated.
I'm pretty sure that the pre-order wasn't there a few days ago when I first looked at batteries on Amazon. What struck me was that the only TH batteries showing was Giffis. I only noticed it when I took the plunge for a giffi yesterday. It says that the Power 4 battery hasn't been released yet. When did you order through the pre-order?

I'm pretty sure that the pre-order wasn't there a few days ago when I first looked at batteries on Amazon. What struck me was that the only TH batteries showing was Giffis. I only noticed it when I took the plunge for a giffi yesterday. It says that the Power 4 battery hasn't been released yet. When did you order through the pre-order?
No been pre order for about 3 months now. And there 2016 batteries which come from Europe!

Sure would be nice if Yuneec was to step up and make a statement about future battery supplies. Licking their wounds after low sales of the 520 and H Plus should have been done by now.

There’s something afoot in the multirotor industry as even DJI has most of their product list showing out of stock and no new consumer level releases for almost a year now.

Parrot has bailed on all their consumer products except iterations of the Anafi. Anafi parts supply, which has not been good from day 1, is getting worse. The majority of their future efforts will be enterprise and military.

Last edited:
"Just make a power wire adapter and buy off the shelf lipo’s. The fastest, cheapest, easiest, laziest way to start using better batteries requires only 24” of 12awg silicone wire, the plug from a worn out battery, an XT-60 plug, and a piece of duct tape. Of course it can be done much better than that."

PatR, I'm really interested in this comment, whilst I dont currently have the electronics skills to do this, its just something I can learn. Have you any pointers to some reliable diagrams / videos, or threads?

That said I will need to check with my insurance as I am planning to do commercial work I am not sure how modifications will stack up, but that's a separate issue!

No been pre order for about 3 months now. And there 2016 batteries which come from Europe!

I got a Gifi battery from Batteryupgrade.co.uk a couple of weeks ago. The build quality was so poor that the charging connector would not fit.

Battery returned...lets see if I get my money back???

Also spoke to YuneecUK, no batteries in stock awaiting an order to come in at the end of the month (they have been saying this since March. I asked directly has the Typhoon H been discontinued and there was a bit of a pause before the person at the end of the line said no...

I must've missed it when I looked a few days ago.

Though my current batteries are all from 2016 production runs, and still going strong, I would be proper miffed if I was to receive one of those when ordered in the second part of 2019.

Last year I ordered a P2 battery from BatteryUpgrade - Batteries for all devices in the world I was led to believe that it was new...a recent production...but I think not. It lasted just 10 power cycles before it started to go bad.

Reactions: kayakmtb
I must've missed it when I looked a few days ago.

Though my current batteries are all from 2016 production runs, and still going strong, I would be proper miffed if I was to receive one of those when ordered in the second part of 2019.

Last year I ordered a P2 battery from BatteryUpgrade - Batteries for all devices in the world I was led to believe that it was new...a recent production...but I think not. It lasted just 10 power cycles before it started to go bad.
I'm getting 16 minutes out of it, it's pretty close to my 2018 ones.in flight times, that was hovering a lot for a sunset.

"Just make a power wire adapter and buy off the shelf lipo’s. The fastest, cheapest, easiest, laziest way to start using better batteries requires only 24” of 12awg silicone wire, the plug from a worn out battery, an XT-60 plug, and a piece of duct tape. Of course it can be done much better than that."

PatR, I'm really interested in this comment, whilst I dont currently have the electronics skills to do this, its just something I can learn. Have you any pointers to some reliable diagrams / videos, or threads?

That said I will need to check with my insurance as I am planning to do commercial work I am not sure how modifications will stack up, but that's a separate issue!

Check the sticky battery adapter thread at the top of the H How To forum.

I got a Gifi battery from Batteryupgrade.co.uk a couple of weeks ago. The build quality was so poor that the charging connector would not fit.

Battery returned...lets see if I get my money back???

Also spoke to YuneecUK, no batteries in stock awaiting an order to come in at the end of the month (they have been saying this since March. I asked directly has the Typhoon H been discontinued and there was a bit of a pause before the person at the end of the line said no...
Last time I looked at Yuneec U.K. web site...just a few days ago, there were no Typhoon Hs in their offerings. H+ yes, H520 yes, but TH no-where to be seen. You can still buy Typhoon Hs new from some dealers...prolly clearing stock but I think Yuneec has finished production of the aircraft.

I hope that the same doesn't apply to batteries especially when you consider that those people who are buying these Hs from dealers that still have stock will be looking for batteries to add to the one or two that come with a new aircraft. However, the current lack of Power 4 batteries makes me fear for the worst.

I ordered a Giffi via Amazon U.K. yesterday but it is being shipped from China. I just hope that it is a good one when it arrives. The only alternative I can see is to belt and braces another generic battery alla @PatR but I'm reluctant to do this as it may present issues with my commercial insurance.

Last time I looked at Yuneec U.K. web site...just a few days ago, there were no Typhoon Hs in their offerings. H+ yes, H520 yes, but TH no-where to be seen. You can still buy Typhoon Hs new from some dealers...prolly clearing stock but I think Yuneec has finished production of the aircraft.

I hope that the same doesn't apply to batteries especially when you consider that those people who are buying these Hs from dealers that still have stock will be looking for batteries to add to the one or two that come with a new aircraft. However, the current lack of Power 4 batteries makes me fear for the worst.

I ordered a Giffi via Amazon U.K. yesterday but it is being shipped from China. I just hope that it is a good one when it arrives. The only alternative I can see is to belt and braces another generic battery alla @PatR but I'm reluctant to do this as it may present issues with my commercial insurance.
I suspect like most insurance a modification like that would make insurance null, they do anything to get out of paying. Check out dealers in Europe, I've been buying from them.

Sure would be nice if Yuneec was to step up and make a statement about future battery supplies. Licking their wounds after low sales of the 520 and H Plus should have been done by now.

There’s something afoot in the multirotor industry as even DJI has most of their product list showing out of stock and no new consumer level releases for almost a year now.

Parrot has bailed on all their consumer products except iterations of the Anafi. Anafi parts supply, which has not been good from day 1, is getting worse. The majority of their future efforts will be enterprise and military.

This has been a disturbing trend I've seen as well over the last 3-6 months... not only extending to batteries, but a variety of accessories and spare parts across several models. (Typhoon H Plus Battery adapter cables, anyone? Yep... from Germany or Australia... really ?!?)

This and no new H Plus firmware updates for 3+ months... or are they really saying that on their present model, that the firmware is stable and final after barely more than 15 months since introduction?

Gives me pause and is primarily why at this time, that I have not replaced my H.

I suspect like most insurance a modification like that would make insurance null, they do anything to get out of paying. Check out dealers in Europe, I've been buying from them.
Will do. Depends on the quality of that Giffi I ordered, but I won't know until it arrives and I have had it on my charger and done a test flight.

Are there any dealers you would recommend?

Good idea to check with your insurance company first, although they may well deny coverage if they found we were using batteries beyond their design life cycle as well.

OTOH, as a DIY builder I've found I can obtain liability insurance for anything I build as long as I've certified it safe for flight. As neither the government or the manufacturer's do that it's all on you anyway. People need to understand there are absolutely ZERO multirotor product conformance or certification standards, of any kind, anywhere, for insurance companies to use as a conforming reference base.

"although they may well deny coverage if they found we were using batteries beyond their design life cycle as well."

Have you seen any published information on the design life cycle of the H battery? Or is it likely to be along the lines that you suggest for other information / standards ie non existent?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430