Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H GPS Specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dario, when you are ready to release your product, I'd love to see a TH with the OEM GPS board and a TH with yours in a side-by-side hover test.

Will your solution support WAAS? That could potentially improve the HDOP for customers in the USA.

Interesting to learn of the PX4 board compatibility. It was suspected in the manner the Chroma/Typhoon FC functioned but never verified. That opens up the possibility of integrating the entire PX4 functionality which would convert the H into a platform that could eventually exceed what is being done with other platforms. If you have not been in contact with upper levels of Yuneec's regional management, you might consider doing so. There is no better FC available at the consumer level than PX4, it just needs a commercial/branded platform to reside in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Indeed. I would be willing to test a new GPS unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But in their reply to the question YUNEEC cleary see no requirement to wait at least 12.5mins. I'm not advocating either procedure.
I just completed the firmware update. Upon starting up the system after the update, it took about 15 minutes for the GPS field to change from Acquiring to Ready. So, it appears both camps are correct and Yuneec has it covered.

Cool beans, keep us posted... :D
So far the GPS "Ready" has come on even before the camera is ready (although I usually turn on the ST16 maybe 30-sec before the TH). All flights since Feb update have been flawless. Have not done the March 17 update yet. The real test will be after a major update or when I travel over 200 miles from here.

I'm excited to hear about this new option. Please let us know when it's commercially available. Sounds like several steps in the right direction. Especially if your drone is already out of warranty. I'm guessing installing this chip would void Yuneec's warranty instantly, at this point.

Hello everyone,

@dxer: this is not an app. It is just about remove the original GPS of the Typhoon and plug our new GPS board. The new board is preprogrammed with the requirements of the Typhoon Flight Stack so final customer do not have to do anything related with software. Of course, the compass is integrated.
We do not work with Yuneec (for now). Personally I am involved into Ardupilot project development and because Yuneec uses the basics of the PX4 board it is relatively easy develop new products.
This new GPS is intended for professional use, for applications that require a great accuracy in geospace position.

Cheers,
Dario.
I have bought emlid reach and built my own base and rover, are you saying I could mount the reach unit to the H and get similar results?

Hello everyone,

@dxer: this is not an app. It is just about remove the original GPS of the Typhoon and plug our new GPS board. The new board is preprogrammed with the requirements of the Typhoon Flight Stack so final customer do not have to do anything related with software. Of course, the compass is integrated.
We do not work with Yuneec (for now). Personally I am involved into Ardupilot project development and because Yuneec uses the basics of the PX4 board it is relatively easy develop new products.
This new GPS is intended for professional use, for applications that require a great accuracy in geospace position.

Cheers,
Dario.
hello,
where is your compagny ?, it is possible to shop your system ?
regards

Hi Dario, I know that this thread is old, but I am wondering how you are progressing with that new gps unit you have spoken about. My business partner and I have a Roof inspections company in Australia that would love to have .05 of a meter accuracy for our 3 Yuneec Typhoons. I am hoping that this reaches you and that you have been successfully in you development endeavors and that you are able to sell us this module for upgrading our Birds. Hoping that this gets to you. Kind regards John Hennessy from Australia . Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Hi Dario, I know that this thread is old, but I am wondering how you are progressing with that new gps unit you have spoken about. My business partner and I have a Roof inspections company in Australia that would love to have .05 of a meter accuracy for our 3 Yuneec Typhoons. I am hoping that this reaches you and that you have been successfully in you development endeavors and that you are able to sell us this module for upgrading our Birds. Hoping that this gets to you. Kind regards John Hennessy from Australia . Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Yeh!

Hello everyone,

Firstly, sorry for late response. For all off you interested in this upgrade I need to say that yes, our GNSS module is fully operational and achieves a maximun precision of 2.5cm in navigation and positioning calcs.
But... Yuneec are ceased Typhoon H production and they put all of their effort in new H520 which has same problems as Typhoon H as to GNSS positioning: the cameras.

We have developed modules for both models (H480 & H520) and they work wonderfully; even so, Yuneec cameras are not suitable for professional surveying works as they do not georeference consequently pictures taken. These cameras are using for georeference the GNSS coordinates as they receive the trigger signal and not the true triggered signal that occurs when the shutter is enabled. So this creates a time delay in georreferenced timestamps and distort picture post-processing results.

For some years I develope for Ardupilot (PX4, Pixhawk, Pixracer) the source code that enables the possibility of taking pictures with precise georeference data.This code is already included in official PX4 flight stack (source coded used in Yuneec products) but for now Yuneec has not implemented this yet in their cameras range.

We are using our own modified cameras (SONY) and we are trying to mod standard Yuneec cameras to achieve same results but the problem will be commercial production costs.

Still, if you are interested in modifying your Typhoon to update your GNSS module, contact me and maybe we can do something.

I wish you happy new year.

Regards from Spain,
Dario.

Hi Dario, This is truly going to be a very good year for 2018. This is what I needed to hear from you. My needs are not for surveying or stitching pictures together but to take individual pictures of areas that we identify when flying over the roof. For this to be able to put the H at 18 meters and stay within 2.5 cm would be perfect , so long as we can still video and take still pictures when we want. These will be inspected individually in the office along with the video for problem areas. So long as this is compatible with the board on the H with out anything too technical for me to do. I am an old broken down builder and not exactly computer literate. But won't stop me from getting some body else that knows what they are doing to help me install the new module or what ever it is that you have. You can private message me or seeing that other people on this site are very interested also you could post a small video and prices and instructions for the purchase of this item. You have made my new year very happy, also your progress with the Sony camera is very interesting. I have just put in an 8 mm Pixaero lens to the camera for easier inspections with out flying too close. Now with a more accurate and reliable system for height control this will be fantastic. I am looking forward to your reply.
John Hennessy ( Australia) Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Hi Dr Delta, If this module is as accurate as Dario has stated and is not overly expensive it will be the answer to my problems with accuracy, as I have done that hack useing the revamped 920 plotting system. It works great but now with a more accurate gps and height points this will be great. I am looking forward to hearing back from Dario. John Hennessy. (Australia) Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Interested
Hi MW Foshee , I hope that this works out with Dario and we get accuracy like he stated to 2.5 cm . Looking forward to hearing back from him. John Hennessy (Australia) Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Reactions: mwfoshee
Hi John,

I fly the 920 routing software too. And if not to expensive and/or difficult to implement it would be a nice upgrade indeed.

Cheers!

Hi Dr Delta,
I was wondering if you have noticed that the H Flys a bit slower and wanders a fraction more . At the first few times I thought that it did as was written on this forum, but now after useing it a lot I have not noticed it. Every 2 to 3 weeks I put the H out for its 12 minute tune up for Satelite., but that is not necessary as to the information at the start of this thread, but will keep doing it as I have not had any weird behavior from my two H's since buying them and useing them nearly everyday. This will make my jobs so much easier if you have an accurate system for distance and mainly the height from objects without the occasional dip as the barometer changes with cold and hot wind movements. Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Hey John,

I did not note any difference in behaviour. I thought I did as it was wandering during landing procedure the other day. Did a recalibration on compass and all was well again.
Not noted difference in speed because I do not look at that much.

Aernout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my