Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H indoor positioning sensor availability?

Reaction score
Has anyone managed to get one yet as an add on for the earlier typhoons released without Realsense? I see they are advertised on a few websites in the UK but none are showing availability. I would like to do some indoor work with mine shortly and have the backup of the sensor stability.

Thanks for the reply a shop also confirmed this today just the IPS on its own is not available so you have to bolt the entire realsense on to gain the IPS. Shame but ultimately having the whole lot is a good thing.

Not for much longer those who paid a £5 deposit to reserve stock will be getting refunds.The IPS will not be available on its own anymore, entire realsense or nothing.

Video link above is the best demo of realsense I can find online

Reactions: Freight
Just picked up the entire realsense bolt on. Fitting tonight and plan to do a write up shortly afterwards for anyone thinking of fitting it.

Good luck on fitting that remember to check the box on your system settings that you now have the real sense.

Fitting it was a doddle, updated all the firmware at the same time for the additional camera settings and updates. Compass all calibrated and ready for a test when the rain stops! IPS is of interest to activate this you have to hold the left hand stick into the bottom left corner and toggle the flight mode switch with motors running to switch it on. Only found this out after the local dealer rang Yuneec UK to enquire.

No testing done yet hoping to get to grips with it this week before filming some indoor Motocross on Friday evening.

...IPS is of interest to activate this you have to hold the left hand stick into the bottom left corner and toggle the flight mode switch with motors running to switch it on. Only found this out after the local dealer rang Yuneec UK to enquire...

Your description of how to turn on real sense doesn't make any sense. Are you sure this is the case?

The way I have seen it advertised and the way it works on my TH Pro is that AFTER take off, and above, and with landing gear up, you pull the toggle for the Obstacle Avoidance all the way down (it has 3 positions, top is off, middle is some unknown mode, and bottom is Realsense on).

I have never seen anyone report that you have to pull the left stick into the left bottom corner. That would mean you could never turn it on when flying, as that would cause the craft to come down and spin, and we all know you MUST not have OA on when taking off....

I think you need clarify what they told you as it doesn't fit with how I think everyone else has it working..... and that advice seems really bad, you should not have to impact flight control to turn on OA technology.

If thats the "new" way to turn on OA, that is rather silly - I think the advice you were provided is wrong.

IPS is of interest to activate this you have to hold the left hand stick into the bottom left corner and toggle the flight mode switch with motors running to switch it on. Only found this out after the local dealer rang Yuneec UK to enquire.

This is not correct, not in USA, not in UK, not in Germany, not in........Perhaps some sort of joke?

Drone video read what I said again.
Your description of how to turn on real sense doesn't make any sense. Are you sure this is the case?

The way I have seen it advertised and the way it works on my TH Pro is that AFTER take off, and above, and with landing gear up, you pull the toggle for the Obstacle Avoidance all the way down (it has 3 positions, top is off, middle is some unknown mode, and bottom is Realsense on).

I have never seen anyone report that you have to pull the left stick into the left bottom corner. That would mean you could never turn it on when flying, as that would cause the craft to come down and spin, and we all know you MUST not have OA on when taking off....

I think you need clarify what they told you as it doesn't fit with how I think everyone else has it working..... and that advice seems really bad, you should not have to impact flight control to turn on OA technology.

If thats the "new" way to turn on OA, that is rather silly - I think the advice you were provided is wrong.
To turn IPS on... IPS.

The collision avoidance switch to the central position. Left control lever left corner.. toggle the top right switch 4 times quickly the typhoon will now make a sound, IPS is now on and displayed in purple in the corner of the handset on motor start up.

For confirmation speak to your local yuneec customer service.

Last edited:
Be interested to hear from anyone who uses IPS to explain experiences. Managed to get mine into IPS earlier but now struggling maybe because I can get 10-12 sats in my front room so it wont go into IPS when there is Sats?

Last edited:
Drone video read what I said again.

To turn IPS on... IPS.

The collision avoidance switch to the central position. Left control lever left corner.. toggle the top right switch 4 times quickly the typhoon will now make a sound, IPS is now on and displayed in purple in the corner of the handset on motor start up.

For confirmation speak to your local yuneec customer service.

I will admit that I misread your post sorta - to me the OA and IPS are the same module so I jumped to the conclusion you were speaking about the RealSense features - after a read your post again as suggested, its clear you mean ONLY the IPS portion of RealSense.

However I stand by my original opinion (no reflection on you personally) that this is a rather silly way to turn on IPS! Seems like an after thought. I spoke to Yuneec in the USA after I got my TH, and they told me to not bother flying it indoors as you had to turn off GPS and it was kinda quick to respond making it hard to fly indoors and suggested to not try it even. I will admit that I have never tried it and in that entire conversation with Yuneec they said all I had to do was turn off GPS and the IPS would work.

In post number #8 you say to toggle the flight mode switch - in post # 11 you say to toggle the OA switch - which means I have to ask you for clarification on which switch truly you mean?

Further to that (and ONLY a reflection on yuneec) they said to never take off with the OA switch in any position other than all the way up. Plus, if you are toggling the Flight mode switch that could mean you are in the smart mode exclusion zone potentially and the drone could fly away a random direction if your within that circle? maybe that doesnt matter if its on the ground I guess...

Again, not questioning YOU - but if this is in fact true and the way to activate it, it leaves lots of room for something bad to happen, but as mentioned earlier you have two conflicting directions in your posts on which switch to actually toggle, I'm sure thats an oversight, but we should clear that up before anyone tries it.

Have you tried this activation procedure? how (if using the Flight mode) did you toggle the flight mode? from Pilot to RTH, Pilot to Smart, or Smart to RTH? did the craft do anything when you toggled these modes like we could expect when its in smart mode? if you used the OA switch, did you toggle from middle position to top, middle to bottom, or top to bottom, or bottom to top (or did it even matter)?

I like to get your account of how this procedure went for you. I suspect, if you have already tried it, that everything was fine as you have not reported any issues, but Id like to know. I don't plan to fly it indoors anytime soon - but you have peaked my interest.

I guess this is why the forum members have decided to write a manual together, seems like lots of stuff is left out of what yuneec provides.

Been posting the results in some of the other IPS threads but I will quickly reply here as well before I bolt for work.

No offence taken with your earlier reply just appeared to be alot of resistance to my post rather than praise for posting how to activate the IPS aspect of the Typhoon. I will post the process below now on exactly how to turn this function on:

1. Put the OBS AVOID in the OFF position.
2. FLIGHT MODE into the Attitude position.
3. Turn on the ST16 handset.
4. Once the initial power up is complete turn the GPS OFF & put the left control stick to the lower left hand corner and hold it there.
5. Whilst holding this in the corner with your right hand toggle the FLIGHT MODE switch quickly approx 4 times up/down returning to the Att position.
6. Your Typhoon should beep and now begin flashing a purple light x3 pause then x3 (This will continue)
7. If you look at the GPS settings now the position should read 0.000 0.0000 and READY is displayed.
8. Start the motors and on take off where READY is displayed in the top right this will change to IPS in Purple to show the status.
9. Your Typhoon H is now using the IPS aspect to hold a steady position indoors. The range gate is displayed when close to an obstacle but it will not aviod any obstacles so beware. The IPS is for steady positioning only and you must maintain manual flight. On landing keep the left control stick all the way down until the tone changes before shutting down or the risk of toppling will exist.
10. *If you are unsure or concerned to try this do not, contact Yuneec for further clarification if concerned.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Been posting the results in some of the other IPS threads but I will quickly reply here as well before I bolt for work.

No offence taken with your earlier reply just appeared to be alot of resistance to my post rather than praise for posting how to activate the IPS aspect of the Typhoon. I will post the process below now on exactly how to turn this function on:

1. Put the OBS AVOID in the OFF position.
2. FLIGHT MODE into the Attitude position.
3. Turn on the ST16 handset.
4. Once the initial power up is complete put the left control stick to the lower left hand corner and hold it there.
5. Whilst holding this in the corner with your right hand toggle the FLIGHT MODE switch quickly approx 4 times up/down returning to the Att position.
6. Your Typhoon should beep and now begin flashing a purple light x3 pause then x3 (This will continue)
7. If you look at the GPS settings now the position should read 0.000 0.0000 and READY is displayed.
8. Start the motors and on take off where READY is displayed in the top right this will change to IPS in Purple to show the status.
9. Your Typhoon H is now using the IPS aspect to hold a steady position indoors. The range gate is displayed when close to an obstacle but it will not aviod any obstacles so beware. The IPS is for steady positioning only and you must maintain manual flight. On landing keep the left control stick all the way down until the tone changes before shutting down or the risk of toppling will exist.
10. *If you are unsure or concerned to try this do not, contact Yuneec for further clarification if concerned.

Hope that helps

Thanks for those instructions. I have not seen them before. If I can find a place big enough to fly inside of I will try that. With winter in my home town flying indoors is the only options so it would awesome to be able to fly indoors.

Thanks for posting this ! I hope you can contribute it to the manual the users here are building in the sticky thread. It's worth having it properly documented for sure.

And sorry about the resistance. It was mainly my misread of OA and IPS, if not for that oversight on my part this post would have been seen for its full value and a positive contribution

Thanks for your understanding and the great info.

Tonight I used 3 batteries in IPS mode filming indoor motocross for some friends. Low ceiling and not the best light but the Typhoon worked really well and it was very stable tbh considering the smoke and light conditions. Very nerve racking but pulled it off and got some great footage.

I found it best to turn the GPS off when flying in IPS but otherwise as above in my list.

Tonight I used 3 batteries in IPS mode filming indoor motocross for some friends. Low ceiling and not the best light but the Typhoon worked really well and it was very stable tbh considering the smoke and light conditions. Very nerve racking but pulled it off and got some great footage.

I found it best to turn the GPS off when flying in IPS but otherwise as above in my list.

Is the footage something you can share or footage of the drone itself flying indoors ? I wanted to see what the footage looks like from a stability point of view and aircraft control.

Did you notice anything wonky ? Is there any errors in the logs ? Specifically compass errors as I suspect you were in a metal building ?

Once I finish editing I will post a link to the video from youtube here. Very stable just as stable as GPS. Compass is not an issue as its all LOS flying within a confined space. I would imagine the only sensors the Typhoon is using for position stability is the accelerometer and the sonar doppler for positioning/drift. RealSense is active in as much as the range gate of obstacles is displayed but it will not avoid objects! That is still down to the pilot to avoid unfortunately.

Once I finish editing I will post a link to the video from youtube here. Very stable just as stable as GPS. Compass is not an issue as its all LOS flying within a confined space. I would imagine the only sensors the Typhoon is using for position stability is the accelerometer and the sonar doppler for positioning/drift. RealSense is active in as much as the range gate of obstacles is displayed but it will not avoid objects! That is still down to the pilot to avoid unfortunately.

That sounds promising. I look forward to the video.

The compass issue was more if it is generating errors as it seems that if the compass generates errors it could cause lose of control. So I'm not thinking of it for direction finding but just that the software doesn't cause issues if the compass has errors due to lots of metal structure.

We think of the compass as senstative and always blame the user if they fly near metal and all that. So that's why I have an interest.

If the compass is off when in IPS mode that's great. But if it's on and not causing issues it adds a new thing to consider potentially for outdoor GPS flight too

Either way very interested in seeing the footage. Thanks for posting this.

I will try to film some indoor IPS footage holding position with the camera down and a guide tomorrow if I can on IPS activation for users if that helps. I cant say I noticed any issues tonight with the stabilisation. Draught created by passing bikes made it wobble at times but considering IPS is for indoors where primarily there is no draughts to effect stability - I think it was very very stable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval