Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

typhoon h thrust specs ?

I just got a spare motor and prop adapters a few days ago. Have the motor mounted on my thrust stand. One problem I ran into is that Yuneec (again) did something different. The motors came with 1mm male bullet connectors already attached - nice. However, while most male bullet connectors have the bulged sides and the females have a smoother interior, Yuneec chose a smooth male. They are too loose to fit a standard female connector. I'd like to keep the motor as a spare so I don't want to change the ends. Before I can do my thrust measurements, I need to find the appropriate 1mm female connectors that mate firmly with the motor connectors. Hopefully soon. If anyone knows of a source, please let me know.

Made soom bullet adapters to keep the motor stock and got everything hooked up, so I decided to do some quick thrust measurements at 50% throttle (typical hover point) and 100% throttle.

50% throttle, 4.2A, 49W, 12.0 oz, 5550 RPM
100% throttle, 10.7A. 126W, 24.8 oz, 7600 RPM

Rough calculations are 4.5# thrust at mid throttle (my H has a measured GTOW of 4.33#) so this seams reasonable. Also, total battery draw at hover would be around 25A (5C if you use 5400 mAh, 4C if 6300 mAh). At WOT, draw jumps to 64.2A (12C or 10C). Not a big load for even a half way decent battery.

Also, doing the static thrust measurements for the prop (9" dia), I calculate a pitch of roughly 3.5.

Plan to do more measurements and develop thrust curves later this week.

Last edited:
Ran a few more data points this morning and plotted Power (W) and Current (A) vs. Thrust (g). Let me know what other data would be helpful and I'll try to accomodate?

Attachments

• Thrust Curve.pdf
    14.2 KB · Views: 127
Making a universal prop adapter and have some 9x4.3 and 9x4.7 props on order. Also looking at Graupners 9" tri-props. Will post data when I get the comparisons done.

Reactions: Ralphy and Tom C
Ran a few more data points this morning and plotted Power (W) and Current (A) vs. Thrust (g). Let me know what other data would be helpful and I'll try to accomodate?
Glad you did it in g, most of the world has no idea what an oz is lol

It'd be interesting to work out if you can get a reasonable estimate of power draw from the throttle position. I know once you're flying it's not static and would be much more inaccurate under windy conditions, but it would give a base line for expected battery performance and for telemetry analysis. I guess the real challenge would be reverse engineering what the IMU is doing in normal flight, as you don't get thrust values (or even a helpful proxy) in the telemetry.

(I realise this is not remotely scientific, just thinking aloud!)

There are ways to do that but all of them require splicing equipment into the power supply feed. Easiest way might be to just record max current during a few flights. Incorporating a WattsUp into the system would be easy and light enough not to have much of an impact on power consumption. It would record max current value.

An Eagle Tree data system could be used to record electrical data for an entire flight. More expensive than a WattsUp by a bunch.

Just found this thread. Great work KC3FPV.
I'm considering swapping out the motors on my first H and fitting it with a set of Cobra motors. Looking at the specs you have got, I think the 2213/36 700kv model is going to fit in pretty nice. Looking at their data sheet, the specs seem to align pretty well with your findings on the standard H motors, which should mean that I will be replacing the unit with motors which should put no additional load on the power system. If anything, I think they will run a little more efficient. I also plan to use the Master Airscrew 9 X 4.5 multi rotor props with this set up. It will be a little while until I can get this all done, but finding this thread has certainly helped me in trying to work out a replacement motor of similar specs.

Just found this thread. Great work KC3FPV.
I'm considering swapping out the motors on my first H and fitting it with a set of Cobra motors. Looking at the specs you have got, I think the 2213/36 700kv model is going to fit in pretty nice. Looking at their data sheet, the specs seem to align pretty well with your findings on the standard H motors, which should mean that I will be replacing the unit with motors which should put no additional load on the power system. If anything, I think they will run a little more efficient. I also plan to use the Master Airscrew 9 X 4.5 multi rotor props with this set up. It will be a little while until I can get this all done, but finding this thread has certainly helped me in trying to work out a replacement motor of similar specs.
Keep us posted. Im eager to learn how it goes .

^^ Turns out this isn't going to be as straight-forward as I had planned. Just checked the mounting holes for the motors and the placement for the standard H motors is slightly different to the replacement motors. It can be done, but it would take a little modifying and I am thinking along the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
I'm still keen to follow this through, but I think I'll wait till I come across a 'donor' H that I can mess with.

Making a universal prop adapter and have some 9x4.3 and 9x4.7 props on order. Also looking at Graupners 9" tri-props. Will post data when I get the comparisons done.

Did you ever get any new data, I made some prop adapters too.

Did you ever get any new data, I made some prop adapters too.

Ralphy - did you end up making a 'universal' type prop adapter? The only ones I have seen, so far, will only take a DJI style prop. I have some new Master Airscrew MR props that I would love to try on my H, but they are made for a straight M6 motor shaft.

Reactions: Ralphy
Ralphy - did you end up making a 'universal' type prop adapter? The only ones I have seen, so far, will only take a DJI style prop. I have some new Master Airscrew MR props that I would love to try on my H, but they are made for a straight M6 motor shaft.

Well it can easily be done. These are M6 and just a couple days ago I made an internal m3 thread down the center for a pan head Allen lock bolt.

Do you have a sketch of the prop center opening and depth. I'll make it happen.

It seems several people on here have discovered there are improvements that can be made by flying better props. Join the fun!

It's been killing me that I can't get a set of these props on my H. If you are able to make an adapter that will take these, then I'm in for sure. Here's a link to the props I am talking about. All the details for sizing, etc are in the link.

Reactions: Ralphy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval