Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H vs. H+ reliability

Reaction score
I believe many of you here came from the H platform, and many are going through the growing pains of a new model with the H+. What I’d like to ask here is, given your experience with the H and all of the FW updates it has gone through, do you feel it is a stable and reliable platform when compared to the H+. Would you use the H+ in a commercial application or would you use your H instead. Also, what was the transition like given that the ground stations use different software.

I do not fly commercial. Given that, the most reliable craft I have had is the H. Two years in, it has flown as expected and performed in it's operation window perfectly. Two greivences : 1) initiating flight from a hover position the H will 'jerk' and is hard to precisely position; this is overcome by the 'cruise' control capability which will allow the H to troll along at very low speeds for very steady low speed work. This is not yet available for the H Plus. 2) The raw footage of the CGO3 I just could not process to my satisfaction. This may be my limitation.

Regarding the H Plus, my first flight has shown excellent slow speed behavior the H did not have. And the camera out put is far superior. Given the choice I would have to pick the H plus for commercial work as you are graded on the camera footage. Also, the C23 has much less fish-eye effect then the CGO3+.

I won’t use any drone on a commercial or recreational operation where risk to property or people is present until I have at least 7 plus flight hours of previous trouble free operation. That gives me time to establish a level of reliability, average flight times, learn the control and feature nuances, and become comfortable enough with it there is no fumbling around the controls.

I don’t have a Plus but if I had bought when it came out it would at best be achieving that 7 hour mark about now. I do have a pair of H’s and a 920 Plus and all three are dead on reliable and with one exception have been since May 2016. The 920 only since November last year.

For me the Plus still needs to prove itself in many ways. The firmware upgrades cannot introduce new problems. With the exception of an altitude limitation in one firmware release for the H none of the releases caused new issues to appear. The Plus is still missing some features the H possesses that are much needed on a single pilot camera platform. It needs to be user friendly to both the photographer and the pilot. Flying great is nice but being able to fly well and be a tool that compliments the photographer’s ability simultaneously is mandatory. Anything that forces the photographer to work harder is not desirable. In my mind the Plus camera is really nice but the original H platform is for the moment the better carriage.

It should be noted, that the H went through the same FW growing pains... the update of the H in October 2016 jacked up a lot of systems, causing most to rollback the FW, until a corrective FW release in November 2016. This is why many pilots, including myself, are holding off on purchase... me, I'm just sitting here playing any number of drone-appropriate Tom Petty songs. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chopstix Kid
Listed this before... :)

"Don't Do Me Like That"
"Something in the Air"
"Free Fallin'" (the fall from the sky song...)
"Don't Come Around Here No More" ( the flyaway song)
and of course, since I have not purchased yet, "The Waiting" (is truly the hardest part)

Last edited:
Love the music selections, although I’d probably take “Free Falling”off the list. Somehow I don’t think that’s one we want to rock out too.

The feedback’s great. Thanks everyone. What’s your take on transitioning or going back and forth between the ST16 And the ST16s with its new software, and control layout.

no, culture shock is some elements of the press calling Madonna a sexy 60 year old celeb... :eek:

Last edited:
Some might call that culture shock;)

Yes some might. I’d call it being diverse or adept. I suppose after doing it enough times, it would get easier but there’s always that risk of screwing up. Probably not as big a deal as say switching back and forth between the H’s as it would be with other brands and Yuneec’s platform. Just my 2 cents.

For updates...

That and; it is one of my favorite Tom Petty songs. ;)

I believe many of you here came from the H platform, and many are going through the growing pains of a new model with the H+. What I’d like to ask here is, given your experience with the H and all of the FW updates it has gone through, do you feel it is a stable and reliable platform when compared to the H+. Would you use the H+ in a commercial application or would you use your H instead. Also, what was the transition like given that the ground stations use different software.

Every year that goes by I become more conscious of what could happen with these types of systems and as such I am trying to be very meticulous and cautious with the Plus. That said I just did my 59th flight and, at an average of 16 minutes per flight, that comes to a total of 944 minutes or; just under 16 hours of flight time. I have reached the point that I am as convinced as I will ever be that; this drone will be as reliable as my 480 but, I understand that something could happen. Always. There is no guarantee against a failure but I have documented for my own purposes, a sufficient amount of trial time so as to give me enough reassurance that I can take it out to a site and perform as with the 480. I hope I have done everything to insulate me as a 107 operator and will proceed forward with caution and look forward to the next updates.

I am not going to claim this thing is at the point the 480 is at today in terms of track record but I believe the Plus is on a similar; if not better trajectory, albeit at the beginning of it. From a flight reliability point of view - its as solid as one could hope for my purposes - I am not out at maximum distance, max height and so forth. In commercial use for me, the Plus will always be relatively close in and not hundreds of miles from home so that is something to consider. That said, @Mickeyboo calibrated his compass here in the states and went over to Iceland and flew around for a month - no problems in the flight department - that speaks volumes I think.

Good evening gents, the more I read this forum the more that I am reluctant to getting an H+ and H520. I log to this forum hoping that there is a positive review or thread. A brief intro about me. I'm an aerial drone surveyor and inspector in the San Francisco bay area, and after dealing with DJI products over the years and specially in recent months DJI customer service has failed me more than once and I am now giving up with DJI. I fly almost everyday, and I need a drone that, I can use as a work horse. I was hoping to get into the Yuneec H+ and H520 with the much needed hassle and stress due to firmware malfunctions.

All Yuneec needs to do to capture a much larger market share is to combine the feature sets and capabilities of the H480, 520, and H Plus into one machine. At that point they would be competitive with DJI up to the Inspire level.

As things currently stand, virtually all drone work for disaster relief and wild fire assessments is done with Mavics, P4’s, and Inspires as all of them share similar feature sets and apps, something Yuneec elects to separate between the 520 and H Plus.

Yuneec drones are are great machines, I was able to manually map with the H+ with awesome clarity and now I really want one. I currently fly the inspire series and the inspire 2 IS A PIECE OF JUNK! I really want Yuneec to crush DJI and you’re right @PatR Yuneec can own the market, because a lot of pilots are now getting frustrated with DJI including myself.

The machine is capable of doing pretty much anything it's allowed to. It only needs to be allowed to.

It wouldn't be the first time that a technically competent company with an excellent product got stymied and ultimately sunk by really poor management decisions.

Whatever software/firmware issues need to be ironed out, I have been very impressed after 8 months of reading this forum about the rarity of complaints about manufacturing quality. I don't remember seeing any reports of missing screws, sharp edges, ill-fitting components or shoddy production quality anywhere. How many people must have dropped their ST16 or exposed it to rain? Did it survive every time? To me, these things matter more than software because software is relatively easy to put right. Yes, I know that the manual isn't fit for purpose but they presumably rushed it out - as they rushed out the H Plus. But anyone buying next year won't know about these things. If it comes out of the factory right, the main battle is won.

Reactions: rdonson

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
x640536786