Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

UK 'Drone Police' ?

FlushVision

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Dunno if anyone else has come across this but, apparently, there now seems to be a group of internet vigilantes infiltrating drone user groups and scouring YouTube channels in the UK intent on reporting anyone who shows any illegal flight activity, even minor accidental things, to the authorities. Whether this is happening in other countries I have no idea.

I have no idea how true this is, I'm just posting this as a 'heads up' to anyone who may have anything 'iffy' on their youtube channel. I know that most of us fly legally, I know I try to do, just don't give them the ammunition to point the finger and spoil our fun.

Reactions: NRRTRAINS
It's unfortunate that many seem to think they should control the lives of others down to the finest detail. It's also unfortunate there are many that believe rules are only applicable to someone else, exempting themselves. Many of them are incredibly stupid and post videos on various media that easily establish their willingness to violate safe operational standards.

At least have the minimal modicum of sense necessary to edit the videos to where they appear to follow the rules. Don't provide any ammunition to provide reason for further regulation and enforcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Does not surprise me, being a UK native I see the sad way Brits behave on a daily basis.We had recent local rag coverage of a 'local hero" who reported a drone flying near Burrator reservoir on Dartmoor in Devon.
He was apparently worried that his families privacy was being invaded!
Even a local professional UAV operator (no names) chipped in saying that "i have had drones flying a few feet from my face at times, I have no idea who was flying them" REALLY.
I myself have been challenged and threatened with Police action on two occasions now, I was flying perfectly legally away from all the usual trouble spots, abiding by the drone code and using drone assist app to check flight safety.
You can guarantee that Police will confiscate your drone to check its footage and with UK police at least you will be lucky to ever see it again, they will take over a year to check it out then lose it....

Reactions: Nuance
Get a receipt with the serial number and name of officer.

Get a receipt with the serial number and name of officer.

In the UK they have to give a receipt for seized property. This is no guarantee of its return. In addition police procedure/thinking is "if he may be committing this crime he may be committing other crimes". Your drone then goes into the forensic analysis queue which can last for years. No joke, by the time it's returned it would be so outdated, batteries useless and possibly damaged by the investigation.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Don't know about your side of the pond, but over here if they failed to find evidence or to convict you can sue for physical and professional losses.

Don't know about your side of the pond, but over here if they failed to find evidence or to convict you can sue for physical and professional losses.

I've no idea if that's the same over here in the U.K. although being able to take action on 'professional losses' would certainly be of interest to a commercial operator. However, I've not heard of anyone taking such action, so maybe we don't have that option in blighty.

No chance of that, you would have to fund it yourself, legals here are being advised by the courts not to pursue claims that are not substantial in nature wit a pretty much certain payout.
If your items are seized even after they are released if you fail to collect them in a specified time period they keep them!
I am in UK, I have a friend who has experienced this procedure, although not with a drone.
My advice is if someone threatens calling the police pack up and leave.

My advice is if someone threatens calling the police pack up and leave.
Yep. Wise words for the recreation flyer.
I would add that for a commercial operator he would be wise to make the police aware of an operation beforehand to avoid any confrontation or misunderstandings.

For some time, it's been recommended that photographers taking pictures in public spaces take a laminated copy of the 'Public Photography guidance' sheet that has been prepared for the UK by a number of photography groups. It basically explains the legal rights and obligations for photographers and can be given to curious bystanders and police if there are questions.

I think the card says the following:

You are reminded that under UK law, there are no restrictions on taking photographs in a public place or on photography of individuals, whether they are adults or minors. There is no right to privacy in a public place, although photographers are of course subject to the usual libel laws in the same way as any other citizen and should observe them. Equipment or film may not be confiscated, or images deleted by any person or officer unless a warrant for such action is issued. Any attempt without a warrant is considered assault under UK law.

For drone operators, it's probably worth taking a copy of the 'Drone Code' guidance as well. It doesn't stop people taking offence, but if an official shows up, it shows that you probably have slightly more idea of the legal situation than they do.

There may be truth to this story - have you guys seen this video

I guess she got banned from 800 national parks for her youtube videos!

For some time, it's been recommended that photographers taking pictures in public spaces take a laminated copy of the 'Public Photography guidance' sheet that has been prepared for the UK by a number of photography groups. It basically explains the legal rights and obligations for photographers and can be given to curious bystanders and police if there are questions.

For drone operators, it's probably worth taking a copy of the 'Drone Code' guidance as well. It doesn't stop people taking offence, but if an official shows up, it shows that you probably have slightly more idea of the legal situation than they do.
We need that here across the pond!!

Tuna, can you provide a link to this information?

Thanks, that's very useful. Anybody know of a copy of the UK drone code that would fit on an A4 sheet? I've searched without success.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taxinnovex