Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Update 1.3 - 1 March 2018

If you need to crop a “20Mpxl” image to them right you don’t have what most would consider a 20Mpxl camera. What you have is less than you were sold.

Well. Lol. We already got less than we were Told/Sold. What difference does it really make now? Unless Yuneec upgrade the lens or apply some software fix to straighten the images, this "professional" product will always remain sub par. We have to straighten and crop images anyway.

• From e90 overview page:
"The E90's 23 mm lens equivalent provides wide angle view via an all glass lens system with low distortion and minimal lens dispersion."

• From V1.0.17_E e90 firmware description:
E90: Improved image quality
E90: Distortion free horizon

Does anyone know what exactly was addressed by this upgrade in terms of image quality and horizon?

Upgrade notes say "E90: Distortion free horizon", folks say "mapping software can stitch distorted images", I'm like WTF is going on here?
Penty of mapping examples in this thread.

Penty of mapping examples in this thread.

LOL, Exactly what I was talking about ;-) Mapping obsession?

Forget the mapping bit, please. Just for second.

"E90: Distortion free horizon" -------> This is what I'm asking about. What does it mean?

Reactions: RGilmore
LOL, Exactly what I was talking about ;-) Mapping obsession?

Forget the mapping bit, please. Just for second.

"E90: Distortion free horizon" -------> This is what I'm asking about. What does it mean?

I means the E90 is like GoPro cameras, it has a fisheye lens. That means horizontal lines near the top and bottom of the image tend to curve. The firmware update corrects for that curvature.

I means the E90 is like GoPro cameras, it has a fisheye lens. That means horizontal lines near the top and bottom of the image tend to curve. The firmware update corrects for that curvature.

Do you see improvement post upgrade then?

Thanks, well. At least you can see it. While not to bad there, up closed. Start multiplying it as it takes an image in the distance.

What Claudius is sharing is nowhere near as severe as the picture of leaning wind turbines we had earlier - and being in the distance shouldn't have that much effect. So either he's taking a different image (not 3x2?) or his lens/firmware is different from yours. What's the difference? This is quite important, because the quality of his image should make stitching and filming a snap.

Well I'm afraid to say it doesn't fix it. There is no difference in the DNG files for the curved top and bottom of the images, before and after the update and little or no difference in the JPG files. the curve is there in all 3 picture modes.

Reactions: RGilmore and marcin
Well I'm afraid to say it doesn't fix it. There is no difference in the DNG files for the curved top and bottom of the images, before and after the update and little or no difference in the JPG files. the curve is there in all 3 picture modes.
BINGO!!! Somehow this fundamental issue got completely ignored here.
Maybe in next upgrade?

Wow, I have missed a lot of posts in just a couple days! I am glad to see many people are getting similar non-distorted pictures. It does certainly appear that some here have bad lenses.

Guys. Sorry. Due to NDA, I panicked and deleted my previous posts, although they are now in cyber space. anyway. Here is screenshots with no data of a wind turbine that is up on the hill to the right of the picture. Some of you may have already seen it. But these screenshots hold no data. My bad. But they had to be removed. The leaning turbine is from the E90. The straight one is from a Mavic.Screenshot_20180318-221653.png Screenshot_20180318-221818.png

Perhaps if everyone that is disappointed in the E-90 went to Yuneec’s main Facebook page and posted their displeasure, described their complaint, and and an example, they would get the message. Yuneec does not pay much, if any, attention to other forums. That would also let them know people are watching how they respond and how that response will impact the H Plus and C-23 release sales. If all they “hear” is money perhaps learning they won’t get any if they don’t make things right will get their attention.

Perhaps if everyone that is disappointed in the E-90 went to Yuneec’s main Facebook page and posted their displeasure, described their complaint, and and an example, they would get the message. Yuneec does not pay much, if any, attention to other forums. That would also let them know people are watching how they respond and how that response will impact the H Plus and C-23 release sales. If all they “hear” is money perhaps learning they won’t get any if they don’t make things right will get their attention.

We did, comments and posts got deleted on the Yuneec APV, UK and EU pages, anyone who tried to talk about it in the 520 EU Facebook group got blocked and banned, I have emailed Yuneec too on a few occasions. We are trying. Others have told Yuneec, seems they want to brush it under the carpet and silence anyone who talks about it.

It is a shame; seems like those of you with heavy distortion should be allowed to swap it for an E90 without that kind of distortion.

Have you spoken with Yuneec UK they must have something to say, have you asked for a camera swap?

There are at least 10 of us all have the exact same issue. So I don't know how this is camera related, although. We were the very first batch in the UK.

There are at least 10 of us all have the exact same issue. So I don't know how this is camera related, although. We were the very first batch in the UK.
Call it a lens issue if you prefer but have you spoken with them and asked them to swap it, they would probably swap the camera if its a lens issue so that is what I meant

Guys. Sorry. Due to NDA, I panicked and deleted my previous posts, although they are now in cyber space. anyway. Here is screenshots with no data of a wind turbine that is up on the hill to the right of the picture. Some of you may have already seen it. But these screenshots hold no data. My bad. But they had to be removed. The leaning turbine is from the E90. The straight one is from a Mavic.View attachment 8945 View attachment 8946

Richard, I don't want to give you a hard time, but what exactly are those screenshots of? Everything in the E90 shot is leaning to the right - that's not lens distortion, unless that's a weird crop of an image? Is this a still image? A video?

I'll say this again - it really looks like you've got a different camera from the one @claudius62 posted samples from. What are you doing differently? It feels like we're only getting half the information here, and that makes it very difficult to understand how bad the issue is, or whether it only affects some cameras.

Reactions: 10-8
Tuna,

Good catch! I looked at the horizon and noticed more of the "hill" on the right. I never looked at the poles elsewhere in the image. They are definitely leaning in the same direction as the wind turbine.

RG,

I am with Tuna... not trying to argue any points. What it looks like to me is the camera, at that moment, lost horizon lock. In other words, the gimbal was no longer keeping the camera level. Either that, or some weird twisting of the image is going on.

Very difficult to figure out why everything vertical in the image appears to be leaning, not just the prominent object.

Would be interesting to compare the location of each of the UAS in relation to each other, when each made their capture.

This is indeed perplexing!

Jeff

Reactions: 10-8

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval